This forum - How to ... & similar things

Sorry, but I wouldn’t go for that. I had a thought to leave the list (well I’m talking to about my list though and when I edit it the last time (I figured out 7th time is the last one) I’d rather put the link to another post and continue to do list there however I don’t quite know if this would be the best idea either.

As much as I could establish this doesn’t work like this anymore. Deleted posts are not visible anymore but the text “post deleted, will be removed within 24 hours unless flagged.”. The post actually doesn’t vanish after 24 hours but stays there though.

Thank you @wondersheep. I’ll let you know if/when I need this to be done.

1 Like

If that becomes a problem, maybe copy and paste the material to a new reply will give you the amount of time you had before.

well all i can do is test what i say and hands up if i fail. I just copied and pasted the above from former post.
Let me know when you have seen this, then i will try and remove it.

Cheers J.P.

That is a possibility. I want to break it out into its own thread at some point anyway. Just kind of a pain to have to do it every so often.

2 Likes

@aran, @Kinetic: Perhaps there could be a special category of posts, intended for the sort of thing @tatjana and @craigf want to do, which would be always editable by the original poster (and mods of course). (But “normal” posts would not be in this category and have the same editing limitations as now).

Technically, yes, that would solve it - but it would require us or someone else to add that as a functionality to the Discourse software, which would be a serious investment of time.

Craig, which thread is it? Does adding stuff as a response in the thread not work very well?

Right now it is a single post in the “What’s Outside” thread.

Not really, as each new entry has to go under the proper heading. When I break this out into it’s own thread, I would like to have separate posts for each category as this list is getting long, navigating it during editing is getting tedious.

Yup, that is turning into a pretty gigantic piece of work!

I wonder if the key problem here is that building a dictionary isn’t really what forums are set up to do. I wonder if we could find a different piece of software somewhere that would work better for this…

1 Like

We do still have the PB Works setup, don’t we? Could it be set up there and linked to from here?

2 Likes

Would a public document on Google docs work? With a permanent link from the forum that need not change.

1 Like

That is definitely worth looking into.

I will look at that site. Never knew it was there.

I can look into it. If I can link to pics posted on the forum, it might work.

Well, my list won’t be too long, so here’s @craigf’s one to be “saved”…

1 Like

Good thinking! That might well be the ideal solution… :star:

If not the other, my tech beast in me is eager to explore what this is … I can’t believe I didn’t explore that tech area yet??? :slight_smile:

EDIT
Mae’n dyddorol.

1 Like

How do I get a login for that site?

Er, can’t quite remember! I think if you try to get access, you should get invited to ask for access, and then I should get a ping to tell me to go and accept it… but it’s been a while, to be honest!

I just did a “request access” from the site.

1 Like

And I got an email, and remembered my password at the second time of trying, and you’re approved… :sunny:

2 Likes

Got it, I have access now, Diolch!

2 Likes

It doesn’t look like PBWorks will work very well. While files can be edited once created, I can’t rename, delete, move files or folders at all. As the list grows, reorganization will be needed. I will look for other options.