The Welsh I learnt in school

I haven’t heard of daps since I was a kid! Think I shall adopt that for everyday use now.

Antonio Moya: Has anyone ever heard the word jibbon?

I like the occasional jibbon. I’m not sure which came first, though, the English jibbon or the Welsh sibwns. Hold on…

According to Collins, it’s a South West England word. Quite possible as Sibwns ony appears in 20 century Welsh, according to the Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru. Meanwhile, Sibol is also a Welsh word for jibbons, coming drectly from the Norman French chiboule, onion. As that one’s used since the 1500s, I’m willing to guess that it is direct from the French.

I wonder whether jibbons is the same, coming with sioni winwns from Brittany?

Dap(s) is a brammer of a word. According to the great John Edwards (Talk Tidy)…1. The same size and shape as -“He’s the same dap as 'is dad, exactly”…2. An article of footwear for P.E. lessons, like…3. Just the right thing -“Just my dap, this is”…and “No wonder you carn find youer glasses - youer always dappin’ (g) 'em down where you carn see 'em”…also mentions “as diflas as pechod” as ‘a splendid example of mixed translation from Welsh’. Confess that I never heard that one growing up in Ebbw Vale but Wenglish, just like Welsh, varies valley to valley

Phillip David Worth: I frequently hear cwpla, moyn, dihuno, disgwyl on S4C, do your children watch s4c? Just wonder what they make of it after they hear it being spoken (if they understand it etc).

Yes, they do watch more S4C than I do… When life is slightly less hectic, I’m looking forward to watching it with them a bit more. I think they understand perfectly well, and they do accept that there are variations.

I’m really looking forward to getting to the stage when I can make my own judgement about this kind of thing… still more patience needed!!