The ups and downs of learning Welsh

No - you are from the South matey, whether you like it or not. You’re videos have given it away.

1 Like

Diolch netmouse,

One day I will do a bootcamp, but not this year. Hope that yours goes well - I’m sure that it will since your Welsh is of a very high standard anyway.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with sounding like you’re a hwntw! You use Gog Welsh but with a natural accent. Iestyn once said that he’d rather you spoke Welsh sounding like you’re from Kent (used because he knows people from Kent, not because that’s a terrible place) than be too scared to try the language. I’ve heard some wonderful accents on people. Adds to the flavour of the language.

3 Likes

Well I can testify that your Welsh is pretty excellent anyway! But I also identify with not having the immediate readiness to use it when you want it. Nowadays I can feel pretty confident in the right situation - but if I go for a few days without using any Welsh, it retreats into a corner of my brain and I can still feel pretty awkward if I need to try and hoik it back to the forefront unexpectedly. That’s just (yet) another language skill that takes practice!

I think it will be great fun to do a bootcamp and finally have a chance to live in Welsh for a while, as most of us never get to do that in real life. I expect it will make a difference to how readily Welsh pops into the mind subsequently, too.

5 Likes

I can’t just make jokes about @Pete2 and not put my own video up. I ran out of memory so sorry it stops mid sentence https://youtu.be/QzgsvFSNOSY

10 Likes

Ardderchog a naturiol iawn!!!

Hefyd, barf gwych…dylet ti drio tyfu fo fel @gruntius :wink:

Diolch Pete :smile: dw i’m yn siwr gallwn i gystadlu gyda fe!

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

Like others, I’ve been very impressed by your videos.

On the subject of accents, if (as I believe you do), you live in the Gogledd, and are fortunate enough to hear enough Welsh spoken by the locals, the chances are that your accent will gradually adapt to become more and more like those around you. I mean this happens in English, and probably any language, doesn’t it?

Looking forward to more of your videos!

Hwyl,
Mike

2 Likes

That was seriously impressive AnthonyCusack. Da iawn ti

3 Likes

I think you sound great, very natural! Da iawn ti!

3 Likes

I’d say your vowels are Gogledd! I know Pete’s are naturally de! Both of you speak fluently and well. Unlike me!

3 Likes

Oh, whenever I went up to Gwynedd to stay, I could hear myself getting …er… goggier and goggier…if you see what I mean! I lost it very quickly on my return, but if I lived there, I am totally sure I’d be very Gog indeed by now! But then, I pick up accents by mistake, except Scottish, to which I am immune!

1 Like

I’m impressed by your video as well Anthony! Da iawn ti.

Sounded very “Welsh Welsh” to me.

1 Like

Salvation is available to us all, so I believe … :wink:

2 Likes

I’m so tempted to make a video with a Gog accent! But not just yet!

1 Like

@AnthonyCusack and @philipnewton get special mentions today.

https://youtu.be/co9MbvB379o

5 Likes

Da iawn i chi Pete a Anthony! Very well done. You both have a very nice flow to your speech. I can tell that my challenge for the new year is going to be making a video of me speaking Cymraeg, but I can guarantee that it won’t be at this level! Pete’s cystadleuaeth newydd on the other hand, that I may be able to do well in!
Nadolig llawen i chi gyd!

3 Likes

Jason, i’m sure your welsh is great.

As for the cystadleuaeth @AnthonyCusack @gruntius and @jasoncrow could be interesting

@treymccain has already won any beardy type competitions you would ever care to hold. The size, the fullness, the colour, it’s just glorious. :joy:

3 Likes

It’s like a mirror image of his hair!! I stand no chance in this!

1 Like