The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

Saw this in the news and thought it might interest some;

https://nation.cymru/culture/new-welsh-publisher-launches-to-meet-demand-for-classic-welsh-literature/

4 Likes

If you’ve read any books by Islwyn Ffowc Elis, especially those set in the future like Wythnos yng Nghymru Fydd or Y Blaned Dirion you might like to register for this Zoom talk organised by Menter Caerdydd next Thursday - 14 March:

Go to https://mentercaerdydd.cymru/event/sgwrs_y_mis_mawrth_zoom/29 to receive the Zoom link

I was talking to Kai this morning about reading as I’m currently reading “Blasu” gan Manon Steffan Ros and, although I am enjoying it, I would really like to read something on a similar level of proficiency but for people who have studied with the southern course. Kai said such books do exist but that he couldn’t bring any to mind at that time. Any recommendations, please? If it helps my favourite authors in saesneg include Raymond Chandler, Len Deighton, Douglas Adams and Daphne du Maurier.

Diolch

I really, really enjoyed ‘Pantglas’ by Mihangel Morgan, which is set in south Wales and is a similar style to ‘Blasu’ in a way, with different chapters focused on different characters in the village. I’d love to hear what you think of it, @Tony_Davis.

1 Like

I’ll order that then Deborah, and report back :grin: I did a quick search in my charity shop purchase box and found that I have two books by Mihangel Morgan; Te gyda’r Frenhines and dirgel Ddyn, so I will probably read those first

I read “Dirgel Ddyn” ages ago now. It was always on the reading list for Dysgu Cymraeg classes. I can’t remember a lot about it, but I think it was OK. I haven’t heard of “Te gyda’r Frenhines” though.
I was actually thinking of rereading “Pantglas” while I wait for my bookclub to assign the next book to read, so I just might do that!

1 Like

This may be of interest to members of this thread - a chance to chat with the author Angharad Tomos over Zoom - organised by Cymdeithas yr Iaith for Welsh learners

1 Like

I’ve just finished reading “Gwenwyn… a Gwasgod Felen” by Haf Llewelyn. It was a fairly easy read (once you learn some older vocabulary) and a nice story as well.

It’s set just before the Mimosa was sailing off to Patagonia and deals with some of the social issues of the day.

I’m getting more used to the North Walian forms, which helps.

1 Like

Sounds interesting!