The SSiW Welsh Book Club šŸ“– šŸ“š šŸ‘“

Cyngor Llyfrau Cymru / Books Council of Wales
Maeā€™r gyfres o lyfrau i ddysgwyr, Amdani, yn 5 mlwydd oed!
40 o lyfrau, wedi eu graddoli ar bedair lefel, gan amrywiol weisg.
Yn 2023 bydd pob teitl ar gael fel llyfr llafar am y tro cyntaf o wefan http://ffolio.cym
Mwy yma: https://llyfrau.cymru/amdani-dathlu-pum-mlynedd-orā€¦/

Amdani, the series of Welsh books for learners, is 5 years old!
40 books, graded at four levels, from a variety of Welsh publishers.
In 2023 every title will be made available as an audiobook for the first time from https://ffolio.wales.
More here: https://llyfrau.cymru/ā€¦/celebrating-five-years-ofā€¦/

6 Likes

ā€˜Chat with an authorā€™ online event for advanced learners

Online events planned for March 2nd and 9th - more information at the above link

Happy World Book Day/Diwrnod y Llyfr everyone! To celebrate why not grab yourself a bargain?! Just Ā£2 each for any of these (plus postage) to make way for more books on my bookshelf! :books:
And donā€™t forget the lovely Cyw book for children thatā€™s available for Ā£1 in Wales! (Details here: World Book Day Wales)
Y Byw syā€™n cysgu, Llechi and Pryfeta have gone now, but the others are still available :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s a recommendation for the more advanced readers among you: this novel won Book of the Year 2022, and I really enjoyed it. Itā€™s a bit dark, but I kinda like that sort of thing :slight_smile:

Ffion Dafis is from the north-west of Wales so youā€™ll find a lot of the dialogue in that dialect (but not too much, I donā€™t think).

2 Likes

Any indication of theme/style/scenario? ā€œA bit darkā€ sounds fine, NW-ish sounds fine, but is it a murder mystery, a supernatural thriller, slice-of-lifeā€¦? (I hope that doesnā€™t sound peremptory - I skimmed the reviews, but could only see how well people thought of it, and not what it was about!)

Just a reminder that the second of these online ā€˜Meet the Authorā€™ events is happening tonight. They only had about 5 people at the first one, which was disappointing for the organisers and author, but it does give you lots of opportunity to chat in Welsh!

Iā€™ve read a review of this on Nation.Cymru (spoiler warning if you go looking for it, btw, it didnā€™t give away the ending but went into some depth about plot details etc) as I was also intrigued, but when it comes to dark themes I generally want a bit of forewarning myself.

It looks as if it focuses on ill mental health, death, and coping with trauma (in a modern setting, Facebook is mentioned). Reading the review, it reminded me a bit of The Girl On The Train especially in regards to the main character.

1 Like

Sorry for the late response to the question - Iā€™ve been in bed with the flu for a week! I can see that you have another answer below, which is pretty much on the nose. Those are the themes but itā€™s far more engaging and not as depressing as those make it sound :slight_smile: There are intriguing threads for the reader to follow / mysteries to be solved, and there are elements of humour also. Itā€™s more ā€œslice of lifeā€ than ā€œsupernatural fantasyā€. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty happy to hear this; Nation.Cymru did make it sound quite gritty. Iā€™m a few years off ā€˜big booksā€™, but Iā€™ll pick this up when Iā€™m more fluent!

1 Like

I bought the book ā€œRobā€ by Mared Lewis a while ago as it is marked as lefel Uwch but, now I am about to start on lefel uwch I canā€™t seem to find it listed in any of the course books. Does anyone happen to know where, in the recommended order, it appears, please? I know I could just read it anyyway but the books are usually listed after we have learned the relevant vocab.

Thanks

Does this help? :slight_smile: Cyfres Amdani | Dysgu Cymraeg

1 Like

It does, thanks Cetra. They seem to have added ā€œYn y tÅ· hwnā€, although not in the same place.

1 Like

Hereā€™s one that Blodwen Jones lovers will like - Un Noson by Llio Elain Maddocks:

Iā€™m early Sylfaen with a lot of time clocked in SSIW/Duo/attempting to read the news, and found this a bit above my level - thereā€™s no glossary, either. But, I had a dictionary and a notepad to hand and managed to finish this without stressing (which makes me wonder if I should try DeltaNet again).

It checks off a full rom-com bingo card, but itā€™s light-hearted enough for a learner whoā€™s still used to footnotes and Iā€™d recommend it fully. I loved the challenge of something a bit above my level, but not impossible either.

Dwiā€™n mynd ar wyliau ym mis Ebrill, prynais bedwar llyfr iā€™w darllen.

3 Likes

Shwmae Alan. Gad i ni gwybod shwd maen mynd plis.

Sā€™mae John
Dan niā€™n yn Tenerif ar hyn o bryd.

Another ā€˜meet the authorā€™ Zoom event:

HENO / TONIGHT - Siop yr Hen Bost, Blaenau Ffestiniog!

No description available.

1 Like

Simon Chandler runs an online Welsh book club, if anyone is interested. Itā€™s not for beginning learners though, more for accomplished Siaradwyr Newydd. If youā€™re on Facebook, you can reach him here:

Facebook - Simon Chandler

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed this one hasnā€™t yet been mentioned in this topic - itā€™s part of the Cyfres yr Onnen series, so aimed at 9-14 year olds and not technically a learnersā€™ book. Donā€™t let that put you off though, itā€™s a lovely book and worth reading (I read it at the end of Sylfaen and only really struggled with some vocab).

Our main character in Sgrech y Mor is Sion, a grieving young lad in his early teens who regularly clashes with his stepfather. Mum sends Sion away for the summer holidays to live with ā€˜Anti Bethā€™, his late dadā€™s free-spirited spinster older sister and her boisterous dog Gel. Sion isnā€™t sure about his new situation in this small Welsh seaside village, only agreeing to go to make Mum happy, but he soon gets a whole lot more than he bargained for.

A few sad bits but overall heartwarming, and we could have all done with an Anti Beth figure in our teenage years, I think. I wrote a Goodreads review which goes a bit more in-depth (warning: there is one bit in there that Iā€™d consider a ā€˜true spoilerā€™ but I have filtered it) but I read this without any knowledge of where the plot would go. I think I enjoyed it all the more for that.