The 'Please add me to the SSiW map' thread šŸ—ŗ

Thats grand. Weā€™re about a mile outside, itā€™s not a big place anyway! Diolch.

Possibly not the best username, seeing as how Iā€™m neither Swiss nor called Toni!

Ta for the welcome, and cheers for putting me on the map @Sionned !

Diolch,
Dan

1 Like

Has anyone seen this which just cropped up on a Facebook page? (Maybe old news to everyone except me, of courseā€¦)
http://braw.media/help-map-the-welsh-language-around-world/

@Sionned @aran
Is our map page available to people not signed in to SSiW? It would be a very good way of showing just how many are learning or have learned Welsh and how far flung is our influence!!

Yes, someone not signed in can view our map (and the other FAQā€™s). The forum is not available to someone not signed in, but that is the only part, I think, that is not available to people who havenā€™t signed up.

1 Like

Hi please add me to the map. I am in Asheville North Carolina. I see one other user listed there!!

2 Likes

Hi @Sionned, please can you add me in aberystwyth sy23 1pu :slight_smile: diolch!

3 Likes

Please add me to this s map as a Welsh learner
SUSAN In Glastonbury, Connecticut, USA

2 Likes

Hi @Sionned, please can you add me to the SSI map. Rohini in Caernarfon, North Wales. Diolch.

2 Likes

Croeso, Welcome, Susan, Itā€™s amazing what one learns here. I didnā€™t know there was a Glastonbury in Connecticut!

Yes named after the one in England like many many other towns here (Enfield, Manchester, New London, Coventry, Norfolk, Marlborough, Hartford, list is endlessā€¦)

1 Like

Thatā€™s why that whole group of states (Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc.) is called ā€œNew England.ā€ :slight_smile:

No. It was surely called New England because that is where the English settled and the settlers named Glastonbury etc after the places they came from!! :wink: I always liked Cambridge, Mass as a centre of learning. Did they think, Oh, there was this famous Uni in our town back home, so we had better start one here", or did someone found Harvard and then decide to name the town Cambridge?

1 Like

[quote=ā€œhenddraig, post:475, topic:1118ā€]
No. It was surely called New England because that is where the English settled and the settlers named Glastonbury etc after the places they came from.[/quote]
That is precisely what I meant. Because it was settled (mostly) by people from England, they called the area ā€œNew Englandā€ and named the towns after ones they left behind.

And, well, Harvard was founded by a Welshmanā€¦

2 Likes

Slightly off topic - I noticed a lorry from Nantwich yesterday. Although I am familiar with the town, it was only because I saw the lorry in Wales that the ā€œNantā€ part came to life. I then found out that it used to be known as Nametwihc, which suggests that it was a Celtic sacred place.

Is anyone one her from that neck of the woods?

Hi Sionned. Iā€™m really late on this forum but Iā€™d like to be added to the map. Iā€™m near Peterborough, in Ontario, Canada if thereā€™s anyone in the area over here. Diolch!

2 Likes

Hi @Sionned, can you add me to the map please? Iā€™m in Valley on Anglesey.

Diolch!

2 Likes

Helo, @leane Croeso, Welcome to,the Forum. Have you just moved to Ynys Mon? It is a good place to practice speaking Welsh and you might be able to go along and see Rownd a Rownd being made! Am i envious? Wellā€¦ maybe a little! :smile: :wink:

Thanks for the welcome @henddraig. Iā€™m from Anglesey originally. I moved away and in the process I lost what little Welsh I had. Iā€™m knuckling down now and Iā€™m determined to be fluent. The problem I have round here is all the native speakers speak far too fast for me at the mo. Iā€™ll get there in the end though Iā€™m sure. Seen plenty of Rownd a rownd filming over the years :grin:

3 Likes

You can always ask people to ā€œarafu plis!ā€ if you want to chat with them!

And Iā€™ve added a marker for you (and everyone before here in this thread). As always, if you want the location adjusted any, just let me know.

1 Like