The Diolch! Thank you! thread

You’ll have to run a course on apps then!!! :slight_smile:

I would like to say a big thank you to Mr & Mrs Aran, Dee and all of you who have taken the time to share your thought’s, struggles and successes. It’s very supportive even when not aimed at me personally. I am at week 5 of 6min course, challenge 3 and I am already using more Welsh than I have after 2 years at college, mostly in texts etc but it is a start, and it comes naturally, without thinking. So a big thank you to all of you who set this up.

5 Likes

That’s fantastic news - well done you, and thank you for your lovely words! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:hushed: . . “. one ring to rule them all . . .” ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@aran
:innocent: and in the heavens bind them :innocent:

1 Like

Sabine, would you mind if I quoted you and/or referred to your experience in a post I’m writing at the moment? :slight_smile: :star2:

Of course not! I am telling everybody that stands still long enough how great this course is. Must have arrived in your village by now surely :smile:

2 Likes

That’s so lovely of you - diolch o galon! :slight_smile: :heart:

Dim problem a croeso :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Dear All staff and forum members at SSiW -
Just another quick thank you from me.

I mentioned before that I occasionally help out with transporting students across Swansea (South Wales). Today, one of the students was on her 1st year away from her home in North Wales.

She said that she was so pleased that I had an extended conversation with her, as the language made her feel that she wasn’t really away from home.

It was great that we were able to fully understand each other as she chatted about her university course, etc and that I was able to be of some use in brightening up her day.

So, obviously this was a real-life situation and thanks so much to you all for preparing me for this.

11 Likes

You’ve really made my day, John - diolch o galon i ti… :star: :star2:

1 Like

I thought it was only in Caernarfon where they took no prisoners, but Cricieth is turning out to be pretty bracing as well. It’s ‘Welsh first’ in many shops and cafes, and if you give a cheery ‘Helo!’ or ‘S’mae!’ to signify that you’re up for speaking Welsh, there’s no stopping them. When you take a Welsh language book back to the library, the librarian will ask you what you thought of it. And you can’t get away with, ‘Da iawn’ - you’re invited to give a 5-minute review of the plot and characters. I got told off in Welsh for the first time in the Post Office, and although I’m still not sure what I did wrong, my explanation had the rest of the queue in stitches.

So this is a big thank-you to my new home of Cricieth, for making it so effortless to practise Welsh, and thanks in advance for your patience with my many mistakes. If only everywhere was like this, how quickly we would all become confident Welsh speakers!

11 Likes

So, you managed to move finally. From the written above I feel you’re happy there. Good luck in the future!

If you were told off there I’d be on the run off with my “blurbs” full of mistakes (real, major mistakes). :slight_smile:

Da iawn ti! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was just reminded to this topic seing it bumped up and I decided there’s finally - after a month and a half after the big SSi parti - the time for one proper thanks.

Thank you, one of the most important one, to all who were in the Galeri that evening sitting still in expectations of announced surprise at the end of the parti, even when you’ve heard those first “Siarad, siarad” bits of whom many could immediatelly connect with my voice and sitting and listening even when my face was brought to the screen in order to perform this little “masterpice” of mine and didn’t run away. :smile: :smile: :smile:.

On the sirious note:

The biggest thank you to @siaronjames who kindly secretly organized that my Rap could actually get into the program and could be total surprise to all who were present at the parti that glamourous evening. Thank you Siaron also for kindly correcting all major mistakes in the lyrics of the Rap.

Then on, thank you to the whole little “Private premiere” team for their advice and encouraging words. There would be no real thing without you all.

Thank you to the Galeri technicians who kindly did their tecnical part by Siaron’s instructions of secrecy :slight_smile:

And thank you to all who were there and expressed your good thoughts about the presented gift to you all. Thank you to all the audience for it really be as I imagined - the only gift I could give to SSi for their birthday and to all of you. I was thrilled that even some days after the parti there were people chanting the refrain of the rap. Even if I was not there to present this in person it was great and unforgetable experience. Thank you all.

And at the end: Big thank you to Mr Phormula who said such encouraging, kind and great words about my rap To get such comment from an expert is really kind and encouraging and means world to me.

Thank you all for your very positive opinions which means a world to me also and gives me the fuel to do some other projects in the future.

Diolch o galon pawb! Ych chi’n sêr!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

(if someone didn’t hear the rap yet but would like to, it’s here.)

9 Likes

What what? Ti’n byw yng Nghricieth rwan? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

365 messages of thanks before mine, which makes me feel rather ashamed. I owe so much to SSIW, and want to thank everyone who has helped me regain my lost school ‘ail-iaith’ Welsh - and even more important, to actually speak the language for the first time!

Sorry I’ve not been as active on the Barry thread as I used to be, but I’ve been in Cardiff rather than Barry. I am in the second year of a part-time MA at Cardiff University, and doing it through the medium of Welsh. I do not consider myself as good a speaker as I should be. Other people in our Barry group have overtaken me by now, I am proud to say. But I have achieved more than I ever dared dream I could.

If anyone else is interested in the MA course, it’s called Astudiaethau Cymreig a Cheltaidd/Welsh and Celtic Studies, You can do it in either language, and there’s a great choice of fields to study as the course is built around you (within limits). It’s not a distance course, it’s not cheap, and it’s rigorous and challenging. But if you have a passion for all things Welsh, and a good first degree in any subject, they’d love to hear from you for next year’s course.
Thank you, SSIW!

5 Likes

What a breath-taking achievement! Huge, huge congratulations… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

Thanks Aran. Nobody but you and your unique approach to language learning could have helped me into speaking Welsh. I am immensely grateful.

2 Likes

Your extremely kind words mean the world to me… :star: :star2:

WOW!!! :astonished:
Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn!!! That’s a fantastic achievement!

1 Like