The Diolch! Thank you! thread

I would firstly like to thank the mysterious force that lead me to idly search the internet looking for a more interesting way to learn Welsh than Catchphrase or the traditional class I was attending at the time. I somehow hit upon SSiW back in its very early days, and with a group of enthusiasts pounced on every new lesson as it was released, devouring Welsh on a daily basis, impatiently waiting for the next one.

I delighted in @Iestyn’s southern Welsh accent which gave the language a life of its own, and knowing that Cat was not a first-language speaker also gave me heaps of encouragement to think that I could get there too.

And now I would thank the lovely Welsh speakers of Llandysul who consider it quite natural to speak Welsh with me and make me feel so much part of the community.

12 Likes

In which case chief YOU.

The problem is there are so many. Most recently @BronwenLewis. Why? Saying i sounded natural. No bigger compliment.

3 Likes

Sorry chief, got a bit carried away!! :smile:

1 Like

Why do i want to thank everyone i have interacted with, because you have all helped make this journey enjoyable.

But SSIW has been more than that, i would go so far as to say it has improved my view of life.
Now when i lead a wildlife walk, the usual start includes one or more who say “but i know very little”, i always assure them “everyone knows something i don’t”, so paid a phoeni amdani - don’t worry about it, (yes i can’t resist slipping in that oh so true welsh phrase with translation).

Mostly, this gets no reaction (which is fine), but would you believe last month i was asked by a welsh man from Swansea if i knew the welsh name for a ring ouzel, luckily i did (Mwyalchen y mynydd) so sometimes SSIW has helped me look intelligent (a real step forward).

A special mention should go to the international Skypers who are talking to me in at least their third language which keeps me aware of how good at languages i am not (but it’s getting better).

Diolch pawb. J.P.

12 Likes

I am ashamed that I forgot to thank @ramblingjohn for the “what’s outside” thread. I thought I’d look at this forum, no idea what it was. Saw ‘what’s outside’ looked at it and … wow! Lovely pics of ‘home’ and lots of useful Welsh! It hooked me! Ages before the learning process and even before the rest of the Forum! If it was not for you, John, I wouldn’t be here! Oh dear,what a terrible guilt I’ve saddled you with!

4 Likes

Yes! “What’s outside” is a real gem and @ramblingjohn is one of the kindest people I’ve ever talked to:) Diolch John!

4 Likes

@seren i love your new picture and it’s good to see you back on the Forum!

1 Like

That’s not a problem, it’s A Good Thing:slight_smile:

Expressing gratitude has all sorts of hugely consistent psychological and neurological benefits, so the more often you post in this thread, the more you yourself will benefit from it - as, of course, will all the people whose praises you sing… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! So good to be back:)

2 Likes

Diolch @seren and also @Flynn and @Ben for being great practice partners and friends, and for trying so hard to work your schedules around mine!

Also, diolch yn fawr to @Deborah-SSi and @margaretnock for having me stay during my trip to Wales last year. You were both incredibly patient and kind, and my Welsh would not be where it is now if not for staying with you. If I could thank everyone by name who I met in Wales I would, but I know I’d leave someone out, so you happened to come across me while I was traipsing the country, this diolch is for you, for making my experience such a positive one!

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank everyone who puts all the time and effort into making the Tuesday night Welsh classes happen, especially the teachers, like @elizabeth_jane. They volunteer their time to teach, and it’s wonderful to have such a positive learning environment available so far away from Wales.

8 Likes

Well, thanks @Karla for coming on Tuesday nights! It is nice to be thanked for something that is in fact a pure pleasure. :slight_smile:

I would like to thank @Deborah-SSi for the weekly email which I never fail to read no matter how busy my life. Also, for the SSiW team for the amazingly positive learning culture that have created. For my unofficial bootcamp buddies whose SSiW names are too hard to find (sorry, lazy I know) - Andy, Simon, Carys, and Caroline.

For all who have dreamed, planned and fought to keep this amazing language alive for me to learn. Diolch o waelod calon i gyd!

7 Likes

Wanted to start my Monday with a big thank you to the July 2016 bootcampers @tatjana, @Isata, @BronwenLewis, @lynne_freudigmann, @hectorgrey, @Iestyn, Cat, @brigitte, @elkiedeadman, the Family Dafydd, Marc and Vicky. I really hope that’s everyone!

It really was a brilliant week. I’m sorry I missed the Skype meet up at Christmas, Boxing Day was our official Christmas Day in the end. I hope we can all meet again at sometime. If not, you’ve all had a really positive impact on my life and I can’t thank you enough for jumping into the spirit of bootcamp the way you all did!

6 Likes

Diolch yn fawr to @ramblingjohn, @mikeellwood and @bievanravestyn for their VERY patient encouragement of my fledgling, spoken Welsh.

6 Likes

I’m still under the impression of two recent conversations in Welsh.

One was with @aran, who made me think twice about my glib pronouncement that “I don’t know why I learn languages since I don’t actually enjoy talking to people” after noting that I did seem to be enjoying myself with him, unless I was faking something.

The other was with @seren, who not only paid me a compliment on how much my Welsh had progressed since the last time she had spoken to me (quite a while ago, admittedly). Perhaps a more important thing only struck me after our conversation was over – that I had enjoyed speaking to her quite a lot.

I think what I got from both of those conversations was that I may not enjoy speaking a language for the purpose of speaking a language (or for the purpose of practising) – but I enjoy speaking to friends about things I find interesting, even if those conversations happen to take place in a foreign language.

Meaning that conversations become immensely more enjoyable if I approach them not as I want to find somebody to practise Welsh with but I would like to find somebody that I can have an enjoyable conversation with (bonus points if that conversation happens to be in Welsh).

Both of those recent conversations fitted that, though I hadn’t sought them out specifically. Thank you to both of you, for not just speaking about Welsh and learning Welsh, or learner conversation such as “how many sisters do you have and what’s the weather like outside”. But for an interesting conversation that just happened to be in Welsh.

Thank you :heart:

7 Likes

I’ll second that, and thanks due to you too, Anthony! It was a fantastic experience and the impacts have gone well beyond the week. Most importantly, I have a lovely, supportive group of friends now to help me with my Welsh.

Sorry for piggybacking on your post, but I’d like to add a special thanks to @BronwenLewis, who has nudged, cajoled and gently bounced me into using my Welsh with a special mixture of formidable energy and friendly invitation.

And huge thanks too, to @helenlindsay, who encouraged me to go on Bootcamp in the first place. If you ever need a monthly meet up that’s consistent, useful, and does not lapse into English, come to the one she organises in Machynlleth on the second Saturday of the month.

Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi i gyd!

4 Likes

Thank you very much, that’s so kind of you!
To me, it’s all connected. My love for the language enhances my conversations with people, because even simple things sound beautiful to me when said in Welsh:) But the people I talk to are lovely themselves, and I have made lots of interesting acquaintances and had conversations I wouldn’t have had if I hadn’t started learning Welsh a year and a half ago.

3 Likes

So so so important!!

1 Like

Before I had talked to you, I had thought about dropping Welsh again – I have no family connection there, don’t live there, am not a scholar of Welsh history or literature, and there are so many languages beckoning to me.

But now I’m not sure whether I can do so any more :slight_smile: Or whether it might not indeed be worthwhile to consolidate and expand my vocabulary and grammar.

2 Likes

Please don’t stop. Your welsh is superb and i for one would love to see you back in north wales sometime soon.

5 Likes

No no no! Please don’t. Would be a pity to lose our conversations.

4 Likes