The curse of Welsh

The ‘o’ key on my Chromebook has become a little unresponsive (may need to get someone to look at it, actually).

As you can probably imagine, I need to type the words ‘the course’ on an eye-wateringly frequent basis.

At the moment, I am mostly telling people what they need to do or what they can expect from ‘the curse’.

Sigh.

:wink:

7 Likes

:smile:

I don’t use a chromebook, so maybe these temporary solutions won’t work, but I’d try -

1. setting up a shortcut so that a combination of other keys will produce an ‘o’ for you
  2. use the ‘insert symbol’ function and choose an o
    (both are a bit of a faff but will at least stop you ‘cursing’ :wink: )
  3. use a 0 ( and claim the typo gremlin has set up home! :smiley: )
1 Like

Good thinking! If I go slowly, it’s still okay for now, it just doesn’t like me to type any faster than about 30wpm… :scream:

Not sure what keys are like on a chromebook but on many a laptop or indeed normal keyboard a canister of compressed air has blown many a keyboard problem away.

3 Likes

This is an argument in favour of doing Level 1 over Course 1 (see my previous thread yesterday) :wink:.

1 Like

I have spare.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Let me know if you need more.

5 Likes

Dilch! I’ll keep yu psted.

6 Likes

Of course, if it is beyond repair you could always buy a bluetooth keyboard.

1 Like

0F C0URSE, Y0U C0ULD ALWAYS JUST SH0UT F0R EVERYTHING

(though wouldn’t you know it, discurse doesn’t care for jokes where everything is uppercase…)

3 Likes

I’ve had trainees and apprentices with lack of proofreading, write in the learning journals they’re supposed to keep about the curse they’re studying - I always just cross my fingers and hope it really IS a typo or failing that just not aimed at me.ll

1 Like

one to add to Siaron’s toolkit: cut an ‘o’ from an existing text with your mouse, and paste it when you need one

1 Like

When this happened to me (it was my ‘c’) I cut one from somewhere else and used Ctl+v to paste it in every time I needed one. Pain in the behind, but it got me through until the nice young man in the Apple shop agreed to replace the keyboard :slight_smile: (Perhaps I reminded him of his mother…)

In a strange coincidence, Facebook’s ‘one year ago’ this morning reminded me of this very incident.

4 Likes

an you larify what ourred exatly?

3 Likes