Ted Talk on Language Vitalisation

This talk is on the revitalisation of the Maori language in New Zealand, but it has a lot of parallels with the situation of Welsh in Wales. Throughout the talk he makes some excellent points about the importance of passing the language to children, to making it a living community language, not just something learnt in school. It starts and ends in Maori, but the majority is in English.

4 Likes

That is true Maori were at one time were not allowed to speak Maori in school.

1 Like

I know this isn’t why you posted it, @Deborah-SSi, but I’m just wondering if you know what made Ruatoki so buck the trend? I’ve read what English Wikipedia has to say about Ruatoki, but not being from NZ I can’t see anything in the article to explain - if it’s an area that’s particularly poor/rich/isolated/conservative/whatever.

Ruatoki is one of the few Maori speaking areas left in NZ. It is the area belonging to the tribe known as Tuhoe pronounced like ( tohoy). The Tuhoe people have stood against the crown, in regards what occured involving their lands. All the people I know from Tuhoe all speak Maori as native speakers. Theirs is a lovely language or reo. So through the ages Tuhoe people have spoken out against crown rights to their tribal lands. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since I lived in Aotearoa, so I’m glad to see @peterluke60 has answered with his experience.

1 Like