Sut - shud? sit?

Helo, Markie-1

I agree with Hendrik and Aran. I also understand the need for “get it right” before moving on. I have family members who do have OCD and there is definitely a “need” to do things in a proper order. But I would encourage you to move on with other challenges. Here’s why:

1. The next Challenge adds vocabulary that reinforces what you have learned in the previous challenge(s). You will repeat what you have learned as well as adding new words. For example, you know how to say, “I want to practice speaking Welsh (Dw I eisiau ymarfer siarad Cymraeg).” In later Challenges you will learn the words, “mwy” (more) and “llawer” (a lot). You will be asked to say, “I want to practice speaking Welsh a lot more,” (Dw I eisiau ymarfer siarad Cymraeg llawer mwy).
  2. Secondly, you’re learning a new language. You’re going to make mistakes, and you’re supposed to. I can remember growing up, Mom and Dad correcting my English when I made errors. I’m making a lot of mistakes learning Cymraeg, and I’m happy with it. that’s how I learn, and so do you. So, keep pushing forward, keep challenging yourself.
  3. From the few posts, I’ve read from you, you’re already challenging yourself, pushing your knowledge past the lessons (I want to remember to swim slowly in the river). Keep at it - dal ati. You’ll be having conversations much sooner than you would expect!
5 Likes

Not to be rude but in the challenge 1 vocabulary list, the word for “how” is spelled “sut”, but in the actual audio the man/woman say “shwd”… or is “shwd” just a phonetic spoken way to say “how” and “sut” is the general spelling?

yes, this!

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s pretty much interchangeable. I live in SW Wales and was taught “shwd”, spelt “shwd” in the old evening classes, which didn’t venture into broad dialect, so it’s going to be pretty safe.
Most people I know in these parts pronounce it “shwd” apart from two of my friends who use “sut” - one is N Walian, but slowly morphing into a Southerner :slight_smile: and the other is a Welsh school teacher, so is sort of focused on School Welsh.
No one around here will bat an eyelid, which ever you use, so I guess its the same up North.
*When I say “sut”, I mean the one that sounds like the English “sit” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch… interesting

1 Like

did challenge 1 again today over the park, i was walking around shouting it like a mad man…

4 Likes

what do you people think of da boch chi for goodbye? im not feeling hywl…

I’m still a learner and live in the US, so my opinion is based on what I’ve learned and NOT on what is usually said in ending a conversation. But other’s I’ve used.
Tan toc - Until later
Hwyl am y tro - Bye for now
Wela I ti nes ymlaen - I’ll see you later

2 Likes

diolch, tac toc sounds cool

Yes, Da boch chi, da boch or just boch is ok.

Perfect, but quite formal - shorten it to da bo and you will sound very natural in the street and the tafarn i. e. outside of the Capel.

3 Likes

cariad fod gyda chi

My first tutor, pre SSIW said that Da boch chi made you sound like you were 80.

1 Like

Hey this video was very helpful for me, thanks a lot!
I was pretty much throwing a few random “Ma” “y”, “n”, “w” in various combinations, here and there in sentences hoping to catch 'em right - and actually ending up using WTF more than anything. :grin:
I think I have quite a clearer idea now.

p.s. By the way, I thought it was Welsh, but you speak so fast in English, I have to listen to each part a few times before I fully understand everything. :rofl:

1 Like

cariad fod gyda chi

does that make sense, i might want to say it to some girls and family

It makes sense as in they’ll have some idea of what you’re trying to say, but it would make you sound a bit like a time traveller who’d landed in the wrong time… what would you say in English? Are you looking for something like ‘I love you’?

lol,

“i love you” is a bit strong for me, i was thinking like peace be upon you or something to that effect…

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say that in English, so I’m a bit unsure what the context would be - sorry!

neither have i, that’s why i was interested in how it would translate in welsh…maybe i shouldn’t jump the gun though :wink:

A catholic mass ends with ‘and peace be with you’ in English if anyone has that in Welsh?

1 Like