Suggestions for watching S4C

I like Cynefin, rownd a rownd, mynd am dro

Excellent choices! Here are some others you might like (some of these have already been mentioned in the thread):

• 3 Lle - Welsh “selebs” visit and discuss three places that have been important to them in during their lives: Clic
  • Adre - the very lovely Nia Parry goes to visit people in their homes, and talks to them about their lives and experiences: Clic
  • Arfordir Cymru - a series looking at places along the coast of Wales (Llŷn, in this case): Clic
  • Codi Pac - the presenter Geraint Hardy visits different places in Wales and looks at what’s available to do and see: Clic
  • Dan Do - Aled Sam and Mandy Watkins nose about in people’s houses: Clic
  • Eryri: Pobol y Parc - documentary series following the lives of people living and working in the Eryri national park: Clic
  • Gerddi Cymru - Aled Sam again, this time taking us round some of the most interesting gardens in Wales: Clic
  • Mamwlad - Ffion Hague tells the stories of some of Wales’ most prominent women: Clic
  • Waliau’n Siarad - History series where Aled Hughes and Sara Huws tell the stories of specific buildings (and look at what that can tell us about the history of Wales in general): Clic

Hope something here might be of interest to you. When you’ve finished watching something, and if you’ve enjoyed it, scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is usually a “More like…” section with further suggestions.

6 Likes

I do enjoy watching shows like ‘Ty Am Ddim’ and ‘Hen Dy Newydd’, since I’m interested in property development at the moment. Would love to see a Welsh version on ‘Grand Designs’ in the future (Pobl Y Cwm fans may/may not know that Andrew Teilo (Hywel Llewellwyn in the show) and his wife took part in this show in 2005 building an eco home in Sir Gar, which is still available on Channel 4’s catch up service).

I also enjoy the Sunday night (sometimes Wednesday night) dramas such as ‘Un Bore Mercher’, ‘Bang’, ‘Y Gwyll’, ‘Dal Y Mellt’ ayyb, as does my non-Welsh speaking mam who loves watching these with subtitles. I’ve still to watch ‘Gweledd’ which was on last night, but I plan to catch up with this later on this week.

1 Like

There’s a new drama coming soon! :grinning:

6 Likes

And don’t forget to sign up for this email newsletter - its excellent!! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I saw the trailer for this last night. I will definitely be watching!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @Cetra - I don’t need to do my own publicity now! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve had a sneak peek at Pen ar y Bryn, and it’s certainly different! Hope you enjoy it.

The other drama that’s up at the minute is Anfamol, which is excellent (although not sure it’s one you’d want to watch with your mam … quite a lot of swearing and some sex scenes…): Clic (It’s also available on YouTube, if that’s your bag…)

There’s an older drama that’s still up, which is about young people (as in, in their late 20s/early 30s - that’s young to me!) in Cardiff, called Merched Parchus, which I really enjoyed (again, some people might want to take note of the content warning): Clic

And (no content warning for this!) Y Goleudy is an excellent drama aimed at an even younger age group (11-15): Clic

2 Likes

This is a great thread, thank you @sara-peacock-1. I’ve enjoyed watching Y Gwyll and Craith, so Pren ar y Bryn definitely sounds like one to try. Having spent many frustrating hours chasing down pricey DVDs of the two previous series yn y Gymraeg, I’m intrigued by your mention of being able to access programmes after they’re taken down from Clic. What would that involve? I’m more of an occasional than a regular watcher, so it would suit me if the programmes I liked just stayed put indefinitely!
I also enjoy learning about history, culture, language and landscape in different parts of Cymru, so it’s great to see all the suggestions in this thread for those. Are there any programmes specifically about the history and development of the language, including North/South and other regional dialects?
Just going to sign up for your newsletter too. Diolch again for asking this question.

Thanks, Ruth!

The main programme about the language at the moment is Stori’r Iaith: Clic

There’s a fab series in the archive from about 10 years ago, all about the different dialects, called Ar Llafar but I can’t give you a link to that at the moment. I’ll try to get it up again soon, as it’s really interesting.

I’m working on two fronts at making programmes more available to people. The first involves getting a selection available in a closed space (i.e. someone you will have to register for, but for free) for the purposes of supporting people learning Welsh. (We would be able to do this because there is an exception in the licensing agreement for educational use.) It’s taken me a good few months to get through the legal bit and ascertain that we could do that under the exception - we now have to work on the technical side such as sorting out the web hosting and file formats, and finding the person-power to actually physically get things uploaded. I really am working on it!

The other front is trying to find a modern-day equivalent of releasing things on DVD (i.e. finding homes for things on paid-for streamers) - this is enormously complicated because of all sorts of legal rights/licensing issues. I’m not leading on this work myself, but I make a point of emphasising the importance of this to learners every chance I get.

3 Likes

Another suggestion for everyone above who was asking about culture, traditions, and so on, there is a programme (a repeat from 2021) just gone up onto Clic called Calan Gaeaf Carys Eleri, all about Welsh Halloween traditions. Some of you might recognise the presenter Carys Eleri, who is currently part of the cast of Pobol y Cwm. Also, there is an appearance by friend of learners Kris Hughes, who is an archdruid (and moonlights as drag queen Maggi Noggi … but is very definitely Kris in this programme). Clic

2 Likes

For those of you that like a “doing up houses” programme (looking at you, @sortaottery , @faithless78 ), I’ve just come across something similar, where 3 designers have to create something special with a small space: Lle Bach Mawr Clic It’s a reshowing of a series from 2020. I suspect the format owes something to the Covid restrictions!

(And for those that would like to know, two of the designers have lovely northern accents, and the third has a beautiful west Wales accent. The narrator is Lisa Gwilym, who has a slight north-east accent, I think?)

3 Likes

Thanks Sara for all the programme suggestions, and for all your work to link us all with the programmes we’d like to see!

3 Likes

There’s a new wide-ranging arts show presented by two former learners. All six episodes are available. I can particularly recommend the middle section of episode 3.

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/874038916

4 Likes

Ooh… I’ve seen the first two but haven’t watched 3 yet. Intrigued now!

And me!

1 Like

If you’d like to hear and see a wonderful Welsh actress talk about her life, switching between Welsh and English, then “Sian Phillips yn 90” is a must: it’s still on S4C’s Clic for a few more weeks, I believe. She’s amazing. (After my husband and a mate of his shared a taxi with her one late night in London in the late 70s, it took the two men weeks to calm down.) Go and watch and listen!

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Here you go - you’ve got another 123 days, as of 25 January: Clic

(Isn’t she gorgeous?!)

3 Likes

I’ve just come across something on Clic that I thought might appeal to those of you who are fans of things like Cynefin, Arfordir Cymru and so on.

It’s a series from 2014, presented by Dewi Pws (who some people might remember from the old SSiW bootcamps in Tresaith!) where he visits an old pub somewhere in Wales to speak to people in the area and learn more about the history of the pub and, by extension, the village/town. Perhaps a good one to watch if you want to hear accents from a particular area? (Look the village up first to see where it is!)

It’s called “Straeon Tafarn” (Pub Stories), and it’ll be on Clic until about April time. The only downside is that it has only got English subtitles (because of its age) - but perhaps watch in chunks to see how much you can understand (then again with the subtitles to check)?

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/521506294

3 Likes