Stuck between Level 3 and Advanced Content: Vocab problems

It’s on my iPhone

1 Like

Ok so if you download the beta version via the link to @lewie ‘s post (above) - an advanced tab will appear just like the level 1, level 2 tabs.

At the moment you need to flip to the Northern dialect to see the content - the tabs is there but empty if you are logged onto to the southern dialect.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll have a look now

You can see them also in the Southern dialect now!

But @naomi not the transcript and translation, that you need to download from the browser

1 Like

Ah yes, so you can!..thank you!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s only a couple of clicks/ not complicated

Hi
Great !
I have the beta version and audio but where is the text on the app or isn’t it ?

2 Likes

No, the text is not (yet) there. You have to download it from Safari, Chrome or any browser separately.

2 Likes

Why did I not think of this earlier. :man_shrugging:
Thanks for the tip. No laptop required now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting. Like Baurach, done six months, Level 3 and onto advanced content and not in a Welsh part of the world. Have been lazy in taking advantage of the online conversation opportunities but feel that comprehension is growing considerably. More chunks falling into place here and there. Started watching SC4 with Welsh subtitles on and also looking at a couple of more traditional learning books but not letting myself get pissed off if the grammar gets too much and just moving on to another section - remarkable how a good part of that seems familiar too.

5 Likes

@des asked me to post this here:

I worked methodically through the three levels (sometimes with great difficulty) and have moved to the Advanced Learning. I must say that I feel left in the middle of nowhere and would venture to say that the Advanced learning (listening) should be used as support to the conversational lessons rather than being the actual lessons. The Three Levels that I worked through were structured to develop understanding, grammar and vocabulary and this was an innovative and positive way of developing conversational Welsh. In my humble opinion the learning should be carried on with a Level 4 etc to develop vocabulary and grammar to facilitate conversation. I appreciate the importance of the listening exercises but as stated they should be used to support further conversational learning
Regards
Des

Thank you very much for the input, Des - always hugely helpful and interesting. I’m not dead set against a Level 4 (we will be doing a few spillover extra lessons that didn’t fit into the Level 3) but I’m also fairly sure that by the time you’ve done Level 3, live conversation and bulk listening is the real key to continued success… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi, I have enjoyed reading this thread but have some questions.
I have a subscription of £3.95 as I jumped in last summer joining before the price went up to £10.

I have just finished level 1 & 2 challenges (6month) and the week 26 e-mail talks about the ‘deep end’ I think there is a charge of £40.00 × 3

I am wondering where in the process Level 3 and Advanced Content fit in? What is the best way to do it? Does my subscription of £3.95 continue and if it does, what does it give me access to please?
Sorry for all the questions but I have been unable to find the answers myself. Probably looking in the wrong place. :joy:

Hi @annmoore
While you wait for an “official” answer…
I too have a £3.95 subscription as I have been around here for a while. I did Levels 1 and 2 before the 6 month option appeared. I also did Level 3, which is surely included in your subscription, before the ‘deep end’ was introduced. As I understand it, the ‘deep end’ guides you through Level 3 with additional support, just as the 6 month guides you through Levels 1 and 2. The Advanced Content is included in my subscription. It consists of a weekly chat between Beca and an interesting person of her choice. They speak at a natural speed, but Beca prepares a transcription and a translation. What I don’t know is whether you need to pay extra for the ‘deep end’ additional help to guide you through Level 3.
Sue

1 Like

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I have been wondering in what order I should be doing it. It sounds as though things just developed that way, probably helped along now with Beca. It’s helpful to know what you have done. I have been thinking, level 3 next? Deep End next? Advanced Content? And, do I pay more for level 3 and Advanced Content? What does my subscription cover?! I can’t even find it! So many questions but so very good that Aran, Iestyn and co are doing such a great job. with excellent resources.
At least you have given me some useful feedback. Thank you so much :hugs:

Well, why don’t you just click on everything and see what is available to you now? I am on a PC, so it may be different on a phone. I have a Learn menu which gives me “Structured Courses”, “Challenges”, “Advanced Content” and “Intensive Courses”.
In Challenges I have Levels 1, 2 and 3 and also the old material which does have some useful extra vocabulary.
In Advanced Content I have all 15 of Beca’s chats.
Structured Courses gives me information about the 6 month and the 6 minute a day courses. (Same content, different speed as far as I can gather.)
“Intensive Courses” gives information about truly scarey things.

So - if your subscription is the same as mine, you should be able to download the whole of Level 3, North or South, and do it independently if you wish.

Sue

2 Likes

Thanks Sue that is helpful. I will give it a try tomorrow on the laptop. Diolch yn fawr iawn :hugs:

I’ve got a plan to build a stage by stage dialogue for the first 4000 words, but it’s a monstrous task

Aran, have you got a list of these words. I’ve tried finding word lists of most use words in Welsh and the one I’ve found so far seem seriously dodgy.

1 Like

I don’t have a list of the most used words in Welsh, but this is a link to a PDF which is supposed to be the 625 most used (or perhaps the most useful?) words in general in any language. The list is in English, so you’d have to translate, but it might be helpful to provide a basic vocabulary that will get you through most general conversations and to understand the news etc.

The Fluent Forever site does provide the list in several languages, but not Welsh.

1 Like

Diolch

I kinda guessed from a few recent posts by @aran, that Advanced content is meant after level 3.
However, I hadn’t noticed when first Sgwrs appeared, so I started doing them anyway, and I learned a lot from them despite not having finished level 3.
By the way, I had attempted level 3 right after level 2 and it was a nightmare :scream: while I could quite merrily accept understanding almost nothing of advanced material (and I have certainly improved since then).
Not sure what Aran thinks but I don’t see anything wrong in trying! (I guess each one have a different favorite approach on this)

3 Likes