SSiW South

What is the name of the guy speaking in the SSiW course (South)

Iestyn Dafydd

diolch Siaron

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be Iestyn ap Dafydd…?

He’s Iestyn ap Dafydd on Facebook but Iestyn Dafydd on LinkedIn. I’ve no idea which on Twitter 'cos I avoid that at all costs! :wink:

OK fair enough. I was only going by what he referred to himself as the one time I met him in Llandysul, and how his name appears on a couple of threads on here. But it could be nitpicking on my part! :smile:

1 Like

His name is definitely Iestyn ap Dafydd … not sure why it’s different on LinkedIn :slight_smile:

It’s nice to know who he is! I think he has a lovely soft sounding Welsh voice-but what he says seems very different to the lady in say something Welsh south course😂

That’s his wife, Cat, who learned Welsh as an adult.

Thanks so much!

Kat pronounces words more correctly than Iestyn who uses the more commonly herad forms.

For example for ‘to watch’ Kat may say “chwilio” Iestyn may say “gwilo” or when mutated 'Wilo"

At least that’s what I think

I’m afraid I would have to disagree with that example - chwilio is to search, gwylio (and its mutated/colloquial form wylio) is to watch.

Sorry Siaron. Of course you are absolutely correct.

My example for ‘to watch’ should have said - Kat may say “gwilio” Iestyn may say “gwilo” or when mutated 'Wilo"

There are many examples in SSiW (south) where Kat speaks the correct form whilst Iestyn (a South East Walian) chooses to us the commonly spokebn colloquiql form.

Thanks for your response

Iestyn’s excellent Welsh was what I have been used to hearing even before I could understand it. In the lessons, I particularly valued the occasional difference in Cat’s “received” pronunciation. When we talk English, my Derby wife and I find the same issue. “Bus” and “Bath” are continuing bones of contention. :grin:

If anyone is in regular touch with Iestyn, Cat and family, please pass on my love and best wishes.

Huw

7 Likes

Done :blush:

Diolch o galon, Deborah. X

1 Like

I find it helpful to have the balance of Kat’s full pronunciation with Iestyn’s shortened version.
Is it true that Iestyn is no longer involved with SSiW?

Yes, it is, though I know he is still passionate about supporting Welsh learners

Can I ask 2 questions about the South Wales course…

What is the song at the start of the lessons and is that translated anywhere?

What does Lestyn say at the very end of the lessons in welsh?

Its bugging me! haha

The song at the start of the Level 1 challenges is “Wela i efo llygad bach i” by Lleuwen Steffan - you can find the translation on this thread The intro song - 'Wela i efo llygad bach i'
The song at the start of the Level 2 and 3 challenges is “Coffi Du” by Gwibdaith Hen Frân, and there’s a video version with translation on this thread Level 3 South

As for what Iestyn says, do you mean the “Hwyl am y tro” ? (= goodbye for now)

1 Like