SSiW Online Eisteddfod 2016 - organisation

It’s that time of year again when people start dusting off their creativity and thinking about putting an entry or two into the SSiW online Eisteddfod. And a few people have contacted me already about it, so I can see you’re really keen.

There is one slight problem. l’m currently undergoing medical treatment that makes me very tired, and a bit sick, and sometimes not able to concentrate or do very much. This is going to last until the end of the year. I can help out with the Eisteddfod organisation as much as possible, but I really can’t take the leading Archdderwydd role that I have taken on some previous years. It’s not the kind of task that needs someone to be on the ground in Wales. I did all of the organising by email and over the internet last year, and I can send all the contacts and lists of possible sponsors to you to help out. I would contribute as much as I could, but I really, really need someone to step forward and say they will coordinate it.

@dafyddyfelin has been the Returning Officer for all the previous years, and I’m hoping that he will graciously agree to do that again this year, so that part will be taken care of.

So, volunteers please step forward!

1 Like

You may well be quite a long way ahead of me on this, but, er - one for the email?.. :wink: :star: :star2:

2 Likes

I am truly, truly sorry, but I don’t feel able to do this. I am so sorry your chemotherapy is so horrible and feel guilty that I’m not ill like that, just old and tired with lungs that don’t work, but my eyes are not good either and I’m not as good as Tatjana at managing! I do hope a kind person will take it on, but I didn’t even find the time to look at all the entries last year!

Could you explain a bit about what the role involves, please? If you are contacting sponsors, do you need a reasonable standard of Welsh, or can it all be done in English? And can you still take part in the Eisteddfod yourself?

1 Like

Hi Emma, I’m being monitored overnight in hospital tonight but I expect to be home tomorrow so I’ll write a more detailed response then. I did write to a few sponsors in Welsh but not all and it’s not essential if you explain you’re learning. And there is no problem with you competing as well. Only Dafydd sees the entries and you use a ffugenw, a pseudonym, so you are the same as everyone else.

1 Like

Thanks, Dee.
I’m a bit worried about how much time it will take. My last year of part-time study starts soon, and I also work part-time. I really want the Eisteddfod to happen, though!

There will still be things that I can do to help out, so I will try to minimize the time you need to spend. Really it is just the organising at the start - deciding on the topics for the categories and producing the announcement etc - then handing over to @dafyddyfelin to receive entries and display them for voting on the forum, while you get on with contacting possible sponsors and a printer for the t-shirts. I have details of those that have been happy to do that before, plus I can help google and try to find others.

I expect that there will be times when I will be able to help a lot - e.g. at the moment I’m feeling not too bad, so I can start on choosing some of the topics, and I can contact Lisa who does the artwork to get the banner and t-shirt logo ready.

The main thing is that my health is a bit of an unknown, so I didn’t want to take on the responsibility then find I couldn’t carry it through and disappoint people. If you’re willing to have a go then you definitely won’t be left on your own.

How does that sound?

1 Like

What sort of sponsorship did you look for Dee? Prizes and that kind of thing? I’m happy to e-mail some people as part of the organisation team? (Many hands and all that)

3 Likes

The sponsors of last year’s Eisteddfod are mentioned here but there is also a complete list with links in the email each week.

Basically I look for small Welsh businesses that have an online presence so that SSiWers can order from them if they wish. Then I explain about the Eisteddfod, the number of learners we have worldwide, and ask if they would like to donate a prize in return for their business being promoted on the forum and in the weekly email. Some don’t respond at all, but a reasonable number are happy to take part. I have sample letters and complete lists of all those I approached last year as a starting point.

1 Like

If you (@emmamartindale and @AnthonyCusack) can PM me your email addresses, I’ll send you the documents from last year so you can get a better idea.

1 Like

I’ve had a quick glance. I’m happy to send a few e-mails. I’ll endeavour to do them yn Gymraeg hefyd. If you really twist my arm I’ll force myself to pop into Bodlon and chat to Nia, I’ll force myself to have some carrot cake while I’m there :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve sent a PM. First time ever, so I hope it arrives ok!
But yes I’d be glad to help. :slight_smile:, and if Anthony helps too we should make a good team.

4 Likes

This is a totally useless interruption, but I did wonder last year if a good award for ‘best poem’ would be a well carved/made wooden chair - doll’s house size!??

1 Like

Love the idea @henddraig - know any wood carvers? :relaxed:

1 Like

Sorry - not any more! I hoped there might be one or two someplace where someone on the Forum lives!!
Now @Deborah-SSi, do you remember being interviewed for Dysgwr y Wythnos and/or Dal Ati, I think in Cardiff? Because the interview turned up this Sunday on Dal Ati! I don’t think it was all that old, but I will say you look a lot too young to have a grown-up daughter!! And your ‘plug of the week for SSiW’ was very good!

1 Like

Are the rest of the “gorsedd” from previous years still able to be involved? I certainly cannot do any of the major organizing required of the Archdderwydd, but I will be happy to help work out the categories as in the past.

2 Likes

Absolutely @Sionned! I’m sure Emma and Anthony will be happy to have support and contributions from people that have helped in the past. Diolch yn fawr!

2 Likes

If it’s the same video clip they drag out from time to time with me walking about the university grounds, that was probably about 2011 or 2012 I think, when I worked for the University of South Wales at the Caerleon campus. And plenty old enough to have grown up children, but diolch am y compliment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry for not having responded to this sooner - I am willing to help with whatever is needed. @emmamartindale @AnthonyCusack @Deborah-SSi

2 Likes

the more the merrier. I think we need to come up with a list of jobs and assign people to them now.

2 Likes