Speed and IE fixes

S’mae pawb - just letting you know that fixes for two things have gone live today.

First of all, there’ve been a few changes behind the scenes to help mitigate the speed problems we’ve been experiencing on here. It’s not a 100% solved problem yet, but things should at least be a bit more usable for the time being.

A large part of this is thanks to the excellent Kev (wondersheep) who’s been voluntarily giving up some of his own free time to lend a hand. Parch! Seren!

Secondly - the site should now be usable in old versions of Internet Explorer, which were previously suffering from serious rendering problems. So anyone who’s been forced against their will to switch to Chrome or Firefox can feel free to go back (if you’re crazy enough to want to do so… ;-))

Heddwch allan, bobl. :slight_smile:

Threads are opening lightning-fast for me this evening, Ifan - diolch yn fawr! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Go Ifan, you little beaut. It looks good on my phone now.

It wasnt till I read this thread that I tried it, I’m still typing this on Trace’s note though. :wink:

You’re a star …

Just to add … I’m sure Trace will thank you too … I won’t have to nick her tablet any more. It really was a pain in the rump to use on my phone, as the amount of threads increased, the amount of scrolling also increased, I was almost at the point of giving up.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Well done, threads open much faster now, thanks Ifan!
http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/images/smilies/ssiwstardragon.gif

Go Ifan, you little beaut. It looks good on my phone now.

Brilliant, I was going to ask you about that - so that’s three fixes for the price of two, hwrê!

Gwaith gwych, Ifan, a diolch o galon i Kev…:sêr:

Four, I think. There were some quarantine fixes that slipped in there as well.

Threads are definitely opening faster than before - thanks much, Kinetic!

If I could give you a banana, I would. Instead, please accept a truck-load of respect!

Four, I think. There were some quarantine fixes that slipped in there as well.

Parch mawr :seren:

Great work, and especially thanks to you, Kev, for putting in some hours!

This really is what has made SSiW what it is!

Diolch i chi’ch dau!

Can confirm the forum is now usable in IE 8.0. :slight_smile:

Yay fantastic, I can now read SSiW at work when I’m meant to be working! :slight_smile:

One interesting observation, when I hit “post reply” I get a message saying “Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? There are unsaved changes elsewhere on this page, and proceeding with this action will discard them. Are you sure you want to proceed?”

If I confirm that I do, then it posts my message anyway. Odd but it’s entirely liveable-with and doesn’t otherwise detract from the site in any way.

Diolch Ifan a Kev!!! Working beautifully on my Galaxy Note da chi’n ffab! :slight_smile:

One interesting observation, when I hit “post reply” I get a message saying "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Is that the ‘new reply’ at the bottom of the page? Is this PC/Mac/phone/tablet/? And browser? All those things will help us track this down and squash it…:slight_smile:

Hi Aran, it happens not when I hit “new reply” but after I’ve composed my reply and hit “post reply”. Also, I’ve just discovered that if I hit “preview” I get a “something went wrong” page.

Thanks very much for that - and the ‘something went wrong’ should have triggered a handy error message for Ifan - it would still help a lot if you could confirm PC/Mac/phone/tablet/browser, so that we can try to recreate it…:slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m having a scatterbrain day. It’s a PC on IE8. Ghastly I know but it’s the only browser we are able to use on the work PCs. We are long overdue an upgrade!

By the way I’ve also spotted underneath the little down arrow on the thread list, there are two messages:

soundManager: Flash URL required. Call soundManager.setup({url:…}) to get started.
SoundManager: No HTML5 Audio() support detected.

Great, thanks for that - sounds as though IE8 is playing dirty with a warning that is set to run if someone tries to navigate away from a textbox with text in it. Knowing what a headache it was to get things to work at all with IE8, I’m afraid I’d better not make any promises about whether or not we’ll be able to fix this one in the near future! Can you persuade them to let you use Chrome?!