Spanish Level 1 - Log of progress

Golden soul you have @aran.

And … my son says I should obey you on this matter too, so I’ll do that. :slight_smile:

Najlepša hvala.
(Diolch yn fawr iawn.)

1 Like

He sounds like a young man of taste and distinction… :sunny:

With same views on the matter that you have + he learns languages very well and if it doesn’t stick something he just pretends he can speak it. :slight_smile:

Thank you in his name. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m new to SSiS. I just began the challenges on July 30 and tonight I have finished challenge 10. I’m feeling up and down about my progress, meaning, sometimes I feel like I have the blocks saved in my memory and then some of them seem to be erased or only partially there. I cannot for the life of me remember “have learnt” or any of the blocks like “ha hecho” or “ha insert word…algo”. But, I am not complaining, me divierte practicar con SSiS. So far I feel like I am learning much more than I have over the first seven months of the year, that’s when I began studying Spanish again after about ten years of down time. I’m looking forward to the other challenges.

Should I take a couple days off and only listening to the 5 minute download each day or should I push on through? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Well done, Garrett - you’re clearly off to a flyer!

Don’t worry about the blocks that haven’t formed entirely yet - that is completely normal - in fact, it’s an inevitable aspect of this approach. You don’t have to learn them perfectly at the first time of asking - as we keep revisiting them throughout the course, you’ll discover that they start to work for you :sunny:

As for taking a couple of days off - it depends how you feel. It won’t do you any harm - in fact, you’ll almost certainly consolidate what you’ve learnt - but equally, pushing on is fine if you feel like doing it. But whichever you choose, yes, stick with doing the listening exercise every day :sunny:

Ok I took two days off not because I thought I needed to but because of work, life, you know that stuff. I listened to the practice lesson on both days off. I picked up challenges 13 and 14 today. Reassure me again that I do not need to replay 13 and 14.

I could not remember how to say many of the final phrases in 13 and therefore could not say many of the phrases in 14 that were revisions from 13. These are the blocks:

He wanted me to tell you - el quería que yo le dijera.
He wanted you to tell me - el quería que usted me dijera.
He wants me to tell you - el quiere que yo le diga.

I am having a hard time with que … que… types of phrases. Is there a tip that you have for recalling these blocks of words before the lady starts to speak? I listen to both repetitions but cannot say it again in following phrase.

Those three things seams to be isues of difficulties in every language obviously. I had them in Cymraeg (Welsh) when doing Challenges. So with Spanish I presume it’s no different. To be honest I didn’t know what I’m doing at the end and rather dropped everything. Fortunately enough old courses are still available for Welsh, but unfortunately not for Spanish though.

However, as good as your progress is I believe you’ll manage to cope with those too in a very short time. Keep on going. Good luck. :slight_smile:

Tatjana, thanks for the vote of confidence I appreciate it. Are you saying once I’m done with the Spanish challenges in level 1 they won’t be available to me again?

No, no … It is like in Welsh course where you have old and new course. There was old Spanish course similar to old Welsh too but it’s not available anymore. I’ve done 1st lesson then I didn’t do it anymore and now Levels are here …

After you’re done the whole course - that one you’re doing now, it will all still be there and available for you so don’t worry. You will be able to go forth and back as many times as you want. :slight_smile:

Ok I got it. Thank you.

Hi Garrett, I wouldn’t get too disheartened if your finding challenge 12, 13 difficult. I completed the old Spanish level 1, the tourist course and all the available lessons of the new Spanish course (I.e. upto challenge 20 level 2) and without doubt, the challenges around 12 and 13 of level 1 have easily been the most difficult. Stick with it, it gets easier (but still challenging of course)

Oh thats good to hear as I was really struggling with 13 & 14 and thinking I might slow down because it was getting too hard.

I will stick with it now - has cheered me up a lot :+1:

Confession time - after my one-on-one session with Martyn (see http://www.fluentin3months.com/how-to-speak-spanish-in-4-days/) I’m painfully aware that we need to re-record 13 and 14 at the very least - and ideally need to rewrite them as well, ouch.

But yes - chalk them down to me being nasty, and move on without worrying about them - you may not get the ‘dijera’ stuff running smoothly in this course, but we’ll have some better uses of it in Level 2 :sunny:

[Oh, and, er, sorry!:scream:]

1 Like

Definately feel better now (phew) - thanks for the confession Aran!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the support. I appreciate it. Just a bit of frustration but it has subsided. I’m on challenge 18 tonight. Muchas Gracias de nuevo.

1 Like

That’s absolutely normal :sunny:

Everyone gets frustrated - the ones who end up Spanish speakers are the ones who carry on despite the frustration - well done! :star2:

Lesson 22 is next. I’m almost finished. I have had a few short conversations with native speakers and it’s obvious that I’m not a native speaker and cannot hold complex conversations; however, all have been impressed with the different tenses and the length of time that I have been studying. Results appear to be good so far. I’m pleased.

3 Likes

Just noticed @garrettpless we seem to be going at exactly the same pace: started July 30 and lesson 22 next!!!

1 Like

It sounds as though you’re doing excellently, Garrett! :star: