Some Manon Steffan Ros book recommendations

Thanks again for this – really enjoyed it. I did try to read with minimal access to a dictionary, so I was letting some of it just wash over me, and I did get particularly lost at one point – but then it turned out that I’d accidentally turned over two pages at once half-way through a sentence, and it made much more sense when I didn’t do that! :slight_smile:
Time to re-read quickly to see if any of the gleanings from context have actually stuck…

7 Likes

I have just read another of hers, ‘Prism’, which is aimed at just slightly older kids than ‘Pluen’. (The main character is 13.) It is similarly sensitive, insightful and generally enjoyable, although probably slightly harder to read. But a great recommendation!

(I had stopped reading her books for young people for a while, after being a bit disappointed by some of the fantasy ones. But then I’m not 10, I suppose!)

Edit: oops, sorry if this is the wrong thread for book recommendations, just ignore and carry on!

1 Like

Not sure if we’re accidentally hijacking it, but that sounds good. I’ll have to check which of hers it was @johnwilliams_6 offered to lend me!

Hi @RichardBuck - it was ‘Blasu’!

1 Like

‘Blasu’ is for grownups - but it’s not too hard, and is a really good read!

2 Likes

I’ve just amended this for you. :wink:

It’s a lot more difficult than Pluen but well worth the effort. Easily the best Welsh language book I’ve read so far imo, if not any book.

6 Likes

I stand corrected, guess the beard is right! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m glad you said that. I didn’t manage to finish it the first time. I haven’t gone back to it yet. Building up to it. I have Prism first. Finished Al - very good book!

2 Likes

Yup - for me, it’s between ‘Blasu’ and ‘O! Tyn y Gorchudd’ by Angharad Price. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

‘Llanw’ is also a really good read, not quite in the same league as ‘Blasu’ for me but still very, very good.

2 Likes

I like Manon - I met her a couple of months ago when we both got a lift from Machynlleth to Cardiff for a Welsh Books event from a mutual friend. More embarassingly I’d bought one of Manon’s book prior to the journey without really knowing who she was.

1 Like

I’ve just bought Ffenester and Blasu … from our local Siop y Siswrn, really helpful owner, happy to converse with me despite my extremely broken Welsh, and helped with recommendations for a dictionary too.
Oh did I mention all for the same price as Amazon?
I’ll let you know how I get on!

4 Likes

This is a great thread, thanks everyone!

@JudithHughes I enjoyed Ffenestri, and followed that with Sgwp, which I liked even better.

I am currently reading Bywyd Blodwen Jones, will read the other two in that series next, and I have Hunllef to read after that. Thanks to you guys, I have Pluen on order, and am asking for Blasu for Christmas. About two years ago, before I was reading any Welsh, I read the English version of Blasu and loved it, but maybe by Christmas I’ll be ready to try it in Welsh. Maybe :grinning:

Putting Prism and Llanw on my wishlist…:slight_smile:

2 Likes