Shwmae Caerdydd - for those going to the Eisteddfod!

Hi All,

It has been a tough year for me on the home front and I am not approaching my time in Wales with my ‘normal’ level of confidence. But I had a number of speaking engagements lined up before we lost our daughter. I therefore decided to carry on as planned.

I am speaking at a number of Merched y Wawr groups and other Welsh societies. I am also being interviewed in Maes D at the Eisteddfod. My topic: Writing my way home - how I had a midlife crisis, decided to write a novel, and accidentally learned to speak Welsh in the process.

It would be great to see some friendly faces in the audience. To see any faces at all, in fact! :flushed:

http://eisteddfod.cymru/y-maes/lleoliadaur-maes/shwmae-caerdydd-dysgu-cymraeg

14 Likes

I know I’ll be there, at the very least! :blush:

2 Likes

I’ll be with you in my mind (as always) however I’m sorry I won’t be there in my whole phisycal presence.

Good luck! (I’m sure everything will be just great).

2 Likes

I’ve heard you’ll be speaking in Machynlleth, so I’ll be on the front row there!

4 Likes

I think you’re hugely brave to carry on with your speaking engagements, Liz, and I hope they all go brilliantly.

5 Likes

I’m hoping to go to the Eisteddfod but haven’t worked out which days I’ll be there yet. I’ll try to get to your session if I can though.

It feels less than brave at the moment. I was going okay until the dog died…

1 Like

Yes, that makes all sorts of sense. Committing to carrying on, and aiming to carry on, is hugely brave, though. I don’t think real courage ever feels that much as though you’re being brave. We’re thinking of you.

2 Likes

@elizabeth_jane I don’t think we feel brave while we are working our way through - maybe we only see our courage in hindsight. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

3 Likes

Yes, this was in fact the very thing the Welsh viewpoint character in my novel had to learn:

“Was this courage? Not a courage Tad would recognise. But it would serve. Maybe that’s all that mattered? Maybe that’s all courage was anyway - terror honed to a point.”

I should listen to my own advice! I’ll be okay when I get there.

Thanks for your encouragement.

7 Likes

Which day/s are you speaking at Maes D?

Tuesday at 1pm

1 Like

I will be there!

1 Like

So sorry to hear you’re having such a testing time. It’s hard, but all our good wishes are with you. We’ve been watching the Eisteddfod on S4C and pleased to be understanding a phrase here and there, so thank you everyone at SSi !
Hwyl,wolfe

1 Like