Sen i etc

I’ve come across sen i and set ti in the past few challenges for if I and if you respectively. What would be the forms for hi/e, chi, nhw and ni?

1 Like

'swn i (from full form taswn i)
'set ti (from full form taset ti)
'sai hi/e (from full form tasai)
'sen ni (from full form tasen ni)
'sech chi (from full form tasech chi)
'sen nhw (from full form tasen nhw)

8 Likes

Hello Stuart
the 'sen i" and 'set ti" bits are abbreviatons from “tasen i, taset ti” etc. In the North you would hear “taswn i” or 'swn i" for If I were…
The other forms are:
taswn i
taset ti
tasai fe
tasai hi
tasen ni
tasech chi
tasen nhw

If you are more interested in these forms, you could get more information in this Taswn/tasen thread.
I hope I could help you.

4 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Just to add confusion these could also be contracted from “would” in hypothetical situations:
Baswn i
Baset ti
Basai fo/hi
Basen ni
Basech chi
Basen nhw

These were grouped together in the course at some point. I know that Dewi Pws had something like " 'sech chi’n siarad Cymraeg 'sech chi’n gwybod" on his banjo so when anyone asked him what it meant he could say “if you spoke Welsh you’d know”. :wink:

8 Likes

Also, didn’t @Iestyn mention that in SE Wales, you can get away with “…sen” for all endings, except for "…ech chi? I could be wrong.

Edit: I just tried it in my head, and it didn’t seem to flow. Tried it again and it was ok :smile:

Here it is from the link above: “but natural southern usage keep the “e” the whole way through.” I’m not totally sure if that includes the ti and chi endings.

1 Like

It’s referring to just having “e” instead of “w” for the fi-form, e.g. “sen i” instead of “swn i” and that also the ending on the “hi/e” form sounds like “e” instead of the written “ai” in the south.

2 Likes

Thanks Dee. I just thought of something. Would it be ok to just use the same ending that tends to come out after “hoff”?. Like, hoffen i, hoffet ti, hoffen/wn ni. So use that ending after (ba)s:. Sen i, sen/swn ni, etc.