Seeking Welsh in Caerdydd in July

Shwmae pawb. I’ll be visiting the Caerdydd and south area between 4 July and 13 July (2019), and wishing to be in Welsh-speaking environments as much as possible. Seeking places to hang out, meet SSiW people, cultural sites, even pointers on Welsh-speaking accommodation if any. Diolch yn fawr.

2 Likes

Hi Bronwen, Plenty of groups meeting throughout South Wales and a few Welsh speaking venues and centres.It would be great to meet you at Aberafon or Swansea. Regarding actual use of Welsh In the streets, in my limited experience, I’d go for Carmarthenshire or Ceredigion, possibly Pontcanna in Cardiff?

Someone else will fill in tje gaps.

2 Likes

Diolch, John. Great to get some tips. I’ll message you if/when I’m around those areas. All the best for now.
Hwyl
Bronwen

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi one for the email when you’re back? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hiya @BronwenJones. We do a coffee morning for learners each Saturday morning in the Ty Tawe Welsh Centre, central Swansea, 10:00-12:00, if you’d like a day trip down to Swansea Bay, the Mumbles or Gower
-> http://www.menterabertawe.org/en/siop-siarad-coffee-morning/ or ping me a message…

1 Like

Haia, @BronwenJones! In Carnarfon you really should look at staying at Llety Arall. It is right in the center of one of the most Welsh-speaking towns (half a block from the castle), and the owners are all Welsh-speaking. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, and they make every effort to have whatever you need available. At least that is what we found when we stayed there for the party. You can get more information on their website: https://lletyarall.org/?lang=en (The link goes to the English version of the website; you can easily switch to Cymraeg, which is what the site is written in.)

1 Like

Thank you, Sionned. I will certainly take a look at Llety Arall. (Budget is a factor.). Thanks so much for the pointer. Definitely I will spend time in Carnarfon. All best!

Thank you, Neil! Great idea. On both Saturdays I’m in South Wales, I’ve got something that clashes but I’m going to do my darndest to be there. And definitely will get to the Mumbles/Gower on a day trip, if not on a Saturday. Diolch yn fawr iawn!

There’s a great little shop on Whitchurch Road in Cardiff called Cant A Mil that is Welsh-speaking and sells Welsh books and gifts and some vintage things. Worth a look.

1 Like