Say Something about learning with disabilities

Adult ADHD

I don’t know whether this is the correct forum

I would like to share and get support from other learners who have to overcome disabilities when learning.

I have Adult ADHD (inattentive, which means dysregulation of focus).

The Say Something method works brilliantly for me when listening and chatting on the Hangouts, but my haywire executive function is not co-operating in the more structured stuff. I mean regular listening to Welsh broadcasts, constructing and practising my sentences, arranging times to sentence swap.

I would love to know how others with this condition manage.

Because it is hard (impossible) for people with fully working executive function to understand it’s not as easy as “set aside a time daily” or “buy a notebook” I discourage well meaning advice from people who think it’s just a matter of 'getting a grip". Some days, I get a grip that’s so strong that I forget to eat or sleep. It’s a brain dysfunction, not a matter of will or gathering the right equipment.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @dianne-1. I’m glad you posted this. In my opinion you’re doing the important things to learn how to speak Welsh :slightly_smiling_face:
I have physical disabilities which include severe fatigue from time to time. My problem is with actually getting to have the online conversations that I’ve arranged. Unfortunately, I’ve had to let people down many times :flushed:
I’d be happy to see whether you and I could coordinate chats.
One way in which I keep track of appointments etc is to set a reminder in my phone’s calendar. I can set it to alert me up to 5 times per event. I don’t know whether that would help you?
All the best, it’s actually amazing when you realise that you can say something in Welsh, especially considering the difficulties you’re facing.
I’m sorry that I can’t offer you more specific advice. Pob lwc! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you lin-2 :blush:. I’ve done a bit of stalking here and see how well you’ve done. Thank you for the encouragement.

I live in Western Australia. I assume you’re in the UK? There is an 8 hour difference at the moment.

I try to join Nia’s 10 am Hangouts on weekdays, otherwise I am mostly free.

I will certainly understand if the fatigue gets in the way. I hope we can work something out. Maybe I can just send you my sentences? That way I’ll have to do them. I don’t have any reservations about speaking Welsh so once I have them written I will be able to say them OK. I do need to practice those useful sentence starters.
Of course, talking to a real person is even better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi dianne-1
There is an Australian time hangout on the Welsh Learning Practice Slack group. @nia.llywelyn can point you in the right direction on how to join if your not already a member of that Slack goup. I think the hangout is on Thursday (mornings in the UK). I hope this helps you get some more practice with other fellow Australians. Pob Lwc.

Thanks Gog. Andrew has kindly invited me to that group, but I forget about it because it’s the same time as Nia’s morning Hangout. But maybe you’re right, being in closer touch with other Aussies would help spur me on. Ffion has just moved to Perth and she is a keen SSiW er. Thanks

Hello all.

Although I’m physically disabled (visually impared) I do not have any advice on the mater though. I see this topic is in “Other languages” part of the forum and you speak mostly about learning Welsh so I am putting it into “Welsh / General/Questions” part of the forum as I think it needs more exposure to bigger crowd. Hopefully you’ll get some useful answers about how other member with potentially the same difficulties and problems cope with them.

Happy learning and chatting to you and all the rest!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Tatjiana :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like