Salon Creadigol--it's more than meets the eye

I’m envious that you live in Wales, Robert, you lucky thing. Immersion is the toughest, but also the quickest and most rewarding way of learning to speak a language.
The ‘lwyt’ bit of Caer-lwyt-goed probably means ‘grey’. I attach an explanatory screenshot from Wici Cymru.
As a local lad, you’ll recognise the view of Eglwys Gadeiriol Caerlwytgoed from across the St Chad end of Stowe Pool.

2 Likes

Now that picture is evocative! My parents used to live in a bungalow near that end of Stowe pool - sadly 27 years since they were there :cry: But I have walked around the pool many times in the past whilst I was visiting them in their later years.
Thanks for the explanation of the name - it’s a good reference wiki too.

1 Like

ok, so here’s the link to my Flickr album (for those who’d like to binge!). The album has pics of various stuff I’ve made as well as the sculptures, and you can ask me about those too.
Siaron’s craft projects on Flickr

And here’s a list of the titles of the sculptures. The ones in italics are ones I haven’t uploaded pictures of to anywhere yet, so they’re not on Flickr yet. Let me know if any titles make you curious! (I purposely haven’t put the English translations :wink: )

Rhicyn
Sglefr
Pysgod
Tefyll
Bawd
Aderyn
Pwdin
Tirwedd
Mwg
Cwch
Cwlwm
Tylluan
Crymeddau
Dwrn
Ffens
Crafanog
Morfarch
Gwyladwrus
Copa
Swigen
Tyllog
Tyfiant
Eira
Gwrthdrawiad
Gorffwys
Stormllyd
Geometreg
Pigfain
Corwynt
Cylch
Caledfwlch
Fflam
Melin
Mêl
Draenog
Maen
Gwymon
Ysbrydol
Sgwd
Gefail
Cerrynt
Egni
Wystrysen
Heulsafau
Canwyll
Chwyn
Synapsau
Gelert
Taith
Crychiadau
Heneiddio
Morlo
Alcemeg
Calonogol
Ysbrydoledig
Cysgodion
Hwylio
Gorffwys
Symlrwydd
Antartig
Sgrech
Clogyn
Gweledigaeth
Mecanwaith
Engan
Sach
Pwmpen
Lwcus
Peiriant
Cryfder
Ymlusgol
Goleudy
Ymlaen
Diflanedig
Pibell
Gorwelion
Adfail
Cyfoeth
Golygfa

4 Likes

I just took a quick look at Flickr and will return to enjoy them all again at leisure.

Gwledd o gerfluniau hardd! (I hope that’s correct?)

2 Likes

What an horrific scar on the hillside–testimony to the years of labour that went into digging ‘black gold’ or ore out of the ground then depositing the waste in spoil heaps like this. Proper remediation is a comparatively modern and evolving science. At one time, it was considered enough to bulldoze the slopes into what was considered a ‘safe’ angle and natural-looking hillsides, then seed or plant the surface in the hopes that roots would stabilise everything.

I hope they sort this out, because I read recently that to meet the targets countries are pledging for the changeover to electric vehicles, it will take another 388 new mines. That does not even address whatever extra fuel will be needed to power the grid, the new or upgraded powerlines, charging stations and other infrastructure.

Coal–glo
Black gold–aur du
Ore—mwyn
Powerlines–llinellau pŵer
Grid–grid
Electric vehicles–cerbydau trydan
Infrastructure???

1 Like

Isadeiledd :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just as a bit of light relief (!), this reminded me of a time I wrote a fictitious academic article to use for a copy-editing exercise. I was teaching how to edit reference lists, so I wrote a one-page article about “treacle mining” and peppered it with references to made-up academic research (as well as all sorts of errors for people to find, of course). As I wanted “how to order include non-English alphabets within an alphabetical list” I made up an author called something like “Sion Llywelyn”, who had written an article about treacle-mining communities in the south Wales valleys.

About halfway through the exercise, one of the class piped up “It’s amazing what people will get funded to research, isn’t it!” (and not in an ironic way…) I felt awful having to break it to her gently in front of the rest of the class that treacle mining isn’t real…

4 Likes

Where exactly is the pier that you can perhaps just about make out in the distance? The town is famous for a particular kind of local seafood that you can easily catch from the pier (see vocab below for clue). The brilliant local RNLI museum and lifeboat station are also well worth a visit.

I did this watercolour back in 2016 to capture lovely summer holiday walks along the shingle beach to the town with pub sandwiches and a pint as a reward at the other end. Yes, I know ‘West is Best’, but the east coast of these islands, I have to admit, can also be very beautiful.

Cranc / crancod = Crab / crabs
Brechdanau cig cranc= Crabmeat sandwiches
Peint o gwrw = A pint of beer
Bad achub = Lifeboat
RNLI = Sefydliad Cenedlaethol Brenhinol y Badau Achub (doesn’t quite trip off the tongue, or at least my tongue, as easily as RNLI, mind you Royal National Lifeboat Institution is also a bit of a mouthful)

3 Likes

What an incredible body of work with such a mixture of different materials from rock and glass to metal and leaves… For some, I felt I was wandering through a beautiful sculpture garden, and with others having a wonderful time at an art gallery, pausing to examine each piece. Pity I could only see one view in 2D, rather than the full effect of 3D. Was it easy to chose the view?

Any chance of seeing this please?

Thank you so. Uwch,
Mari

1 Like

Sometimes, yes, because the backs of some of them are plain (or messy in other cases!), but sometimes it’s frustrating not to be able to show others in 3D without loads of images.

Absolutely! here are two pics of it, one taken outside, one taken inside. The inside one is of where it sits just behind a lamp. When it’s there, the green and yellow bits really glow, but the camera doesn’t really do it justice - eyes capture the glow much better. That’s what gave me the name really.

2 Likes

Shingle beaches - my favourite type! :wink: It’s lovely, the rocks look so tactile and the colour in the sea is enchanting.

1 Like

My first steps into making things as a hobby was when I was about 13/14 when I used to make earrings, brooches and pendants with beads. I still have some of them, but don’t wear jewellery these days, so they’ve been stuck in a box for decades! I’ve only just thought to take photos so I’ll be including these in the Flickr album soon, but you’ll be the first people to see them in “the wide world” as it were!

jewellery - gemwaith
beads - gleiniau
earrings - clustdlysau
brooches - broetshis
pendants - crogdlysau
mistletoe - uchelwydd
clowns - clowniaid

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, the shingle beach would have been right up your street - plenty of pebbly raw materials, driftwood and inspiration for your own kind of artwork! The daily walk from our holiday cottage in East Runton to the pier (and nice pub) in Cromer was gorgeous in the fine weather we were lucky enough to enjoy.

2 Likes

Fab artwork! Very creative and individual. I particularly like the three black/blue/green pendants. I see three fantastic circus clowns with their theatrical costumes, neck ruffs and inverted snowdrop hats. Not sure if this is what you had in mind? If it is, I’m sure they are delighted to have been rescued from a cupboard and given the chance of performing to an audience here on SSIW.

2 Likes

Yes, of course they’re clowns. I skipped over the vocab too quickly!

2 Likes

I enjoy sculpting and painting birds. I’ve already posted some goldfinches. Here, for a change, are some kingfishers.
Glas y dorlan = Kingfisher
Gleision y dorlan =- Kingfishers
Glas = Blue
Torlan = Riverbank

7 Likes

Stunning! The imagination could take you anywhere looking at this—out for a hike, sitting in front of a mountain view,… It’s amazing how the light changes the effect too.

1 Like

One for the hikers and hill-walkers…

Hiker—heiciwr
Rambler—crwydrwr
Hill-walker—cerddwr bryniau

And the reward…

2 Likes

I never tire of seeing kingfishers (in art or for real - though real ones are harder to find). It was my mum’s favourite bird, so she built up a huge collection of various kingfishers made form all sorts or materials or things with kingfishers on them. It became a real challenge to find something kingfisher-themed for birthdays or Christmas that she hadn’t already got!
I cross-stitched three for her over the years (one in a frame, one on a jumper, and one for the lid of a jewellery box.)
I’ve now inherited a large part of the collection, but dad still has plenty at home too.

2 Likes

Beautifully painted. Are the landscapes you’ve depicted perhaps in Wales, or Canada? Or elsewhere?

1 Like