Salon Creadigol--it's more than meets the eye

You mean like the expression ‘hwfro’r carped’? I think that’s correct. If it isn’t, and even if it is, Siaron, what, if it’s not too personal a question, do you use to clean the carpet at home? It’s not an activity I regularly engage in, or therefore a domestic appliance I often need, but it would be nice to know the correct noun and verb for Welsh emergencies.:smile: Many years ago, I briefly worked for a German manufacturer of excellent ‘Staubsauger’ (Staub = dust / Saugen = to suck) and therefore have more than a passing interest in vacuum cleaning products made by Vorwerk, Dyson and, dare I say it, Hoover.

2 Likes

I use a hwfer (a Phillips one :wink: ) to hwfero’r carped, and it’s a completely acceptable term (as an aside, the Hoover vacuum cleaners were made in Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil for many years!), but another Welsh term for a vacuum cleaner is sugnwr lluwch with which you would facio’r carped.

3 Likes

Following your recommendation, Siaron, I’ve just taken a butcher’s at ‘Y Termiadur Addysg’ and it’s really extremely useful. I’ve just book-marked it. Of course it isn’t 100% exhaustive and, from a quick spot check, it doesn’t always offer Welsh translations for words I feel I need to describe some of my own interests and activities. But, on the other hand, it does have all sorts of important terms and expressions I didn’t realise I needed and would therefore find extremely useful to know how to say and use to impress at all of those sophisticated Welsh dinner parties I get invited to (I wish :cry:).

2 Likes

Diolch, Siaron. ‘Hwfero’ and ‘facio’ now give me TWO excellent options that I will immediately add to my active vocabulary. I’m almost tempted to get it out from under the stairs. The discussion reminds me of something I think I remember hearing, where someone suggested using ‘hoffi’ was impeccably correct and get you top marks in a written exam, but would perhaps also be more likely to mark you out as a conscientious learner in a casual conversation on the street where colloquial ‘licio’ (or even better ‘lico’) might be preferred by a native speaker. Learning how to deliberately say things a little less well, or even grammatically plain wrong, but authentically in the correct situation, I guess is an advanced skill. A bit like the subtle nuances involved in swearing (in)appropriately - also very difficult to do authentically in a foreign language.

2 Likes

This is amazingly helpful Siaron, I love it. Thank you so much for pointing us in this direction.

I am sure other SSiWers would benefit from the language aspects of this thread as it evolves, as well as enjoy the kinds of conversations we are having, but I have no idea how to bridge the gap so they feel intrigued enough to check in, ten join in. Thoughts?

1 Like

Concerning swearing in Welsh… I seem to recall learning somewhere that historically, Welsh swearing had more to do with defamatory remarks about clergy, especially bishops, rather than vulgar (and I use that in the old-fashioned way, meaning commonly-used) Anglo-Saxon references to body parts. Is this true, or was someone pulling my leg?

1 Like

I guess we can relax then Jason–no need to be taking our tuxes and gowns out of moth-balls, or racing to the bank vault for our tiaras any time soon then. :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

A S4C programme on Clic, showing a Welsh rural artist at work: I find her fascinating.

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/875484014

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn—I really enjoyed watching this and listening to the Welsh conversation while she was drawing.

1 Like

Another scene—somewhere a little different for you to guess… :wink:

5 Likes

Tintern Abbey. Abaty Tyndyrn.

There’s a somewhat theoretical walking, pilgrimage route around Wales called the Cistercian Way, which includes Tintern.

1 Like

Just finished “A Haven …”, the family’s history, Wittenberg, etc mirrors too many events in Germany’s history. So sad.

H.G.'s mother shines and cuts through history. So much talent and determination. What a marvellous life she made for herself, despite all the obstacles she had to face. I loved reading about her literary ‘Salon’ and achievements…

1 Like

't is. Arv seen it.

1 Like

Very nice work. I think someone else has already suggested Tintern Abbey. I think the roof gives it away!

1 Like

Yes, wasn’t she an amazing woman! An absolute inspiration. I could understand the difficulties of writing the book when researching the wider family’s history also reflects such very different ways of reacting to living under an authoritarian regime. Surviving, not surviving, or even thriving, by either by opposing, fleeing, or going along with it.

1 Like

As SSiW exists principally to encourage and support Welsh language learners, I guess we should all try to include a Welsh word or expression, however modest, to accompany the images we post and ‘reward’ followers of the thread. Alternatively, we could ask for help about something we simply don’t know how to say in Welsh. I’m sure some very kind person (hello Siaron!) would then come to the rescue. I think the inclusion of a Welsh language component to our posts, wherever possible, would be good.

2 Likes

Ti’n gwbl gywir–da iawn ti!

Syniad da Jason, ond i fod yn onest, on i wedi gobeithio cyflawni sawl peth yma:

1. Attract and encourage writers, poets, composers, performers, crafts people and artists in any medium whose work ‘speaks of Wales’ and captures the spirit of Wales and the Welsh;
  2. Spark discussions both here and on the Slack thread Salon Creadigol which was set up at the same time as this, so folk could look here and have some ‘conversation pieces’ for speaking practice;
  3. Respond to the many different motivations, memories and even missed chances to learn Welsh that people have listed in their reasons for wanting to learn, by tapping into something deeper that kindles that desire–maybe a song, a scene…
  4. Reignite traditions that make use of things that would otherwise be discarded or ignored–like quilting using scraps of fabric, artwork using shells and other ‘finds’,… making heirlooms like those originally born of need, but nowadays challenge a throwaway society and speak of our care for the environment;
  5. Provide an ongoing, continuous kind of Eisteddofod so we can capture creative work that might not make the national–yet!

There was far more–all pretty lofty ideas and ideals. We have made an excellent start, thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, but maybe the reason we are not reaching more is in the name of the thread. I had recently thought of adding to its title the words --‘it’s more than meets the eye’.

If Wales rugby got the wooden spoon this year, but is undaunted, ready to work hard and do better next time, I remain undaunted and will proceed with this dream–with a lot of help from you and our friends here.

The only reason I keep uploading my paintings is to stir the pot and hope it bubbles over with people adding their creations and encouraging comments to each other–in Welsh and/or English, so that anyone, no matter where they are on the journey feels welcome and can learn something–as you rightly say. Good idea. Now I must think up some names for my paintings :slight_smile:

Ymlaen!
Mari

4 Likes

How I wish I lived in Wales, I’d give it a crack–the Coastal Path too.

Presumably the Cistercian Abbeys and Monasteries were originally located at strategic points, spaced apart no further than folk could practically travel in a certain time. Maybe back then Church and State also worked hand in glove to establish a new regime, displacing Celtic Christianity and Welsh Princes or Warlords.

You seem to be thinking of casting the thematic net more widely in order to capture more fish, and very different kinds of fish, which is not necessarily a bad idea. I’m happy to go along with whatever you and others decide and will do my best to make relevant contributions. Your ‘Eisteddfod’ proposal is very good. In fact, I was already mulling over that idea in my own mind and was about to propose that everyone (everyone who is interested, that is) thinks of contributing something appropriate that perhaps coincides with the next National in August in Rhondda Cynon Taf (which is of particular interest to me, as it will be taking place in the area where I was born), but your idea of making this online platform perhaps a continuous kind of Eisteddfod, untied to any particular date in the calendar, might be a better one that also conveys more accurately the purpose and ethos behind it, if I’ve understood you correctly. If people are confused by the term ‘Salon’, you might even wish to consider somehow including ‘Eisteddfod’ as an element in the title, if you wish to re-brand your initiative (no-one has copyright on the word). Yes, a crying shame about the rugby yesterday, but I think we need to be honest and positively embrace the challenges of the current situation in order for the team to be able to move forward next season and once again win Y Gamp Lawn. For that reason, I am calling the current Salon discussion we are having (even if no-one else is :joy:) ‘Prosiect Llwy Bren’!

2 Likes