S4C outside UK

Tha mun laik t’live round 'ere:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1491725_939301422748804_8490708811591084698_n.jpg?oh=500981bd3f594a5c4e79abf4981396d6&oe=572CA1F4

3 Likes

Iesgyrn, that’s most of Wales!

Is there anywhere which isn’t mid-Wales? (Eastern Macedonia, perhaps?) :blush:

But as you say, it’s all Wales, and it’s all Welsh. :blush:

Point being that we neither identify as North or South

Certainly round here, the primary identity is Welsh. Rather than “East Welsh”, “West Welsh”, “Pink Welsh” or “Heliotrope Welsh”. :blush:

2 Likes

Geographically, it is a huge area of Wales, in terms of population, it is something like 250,000, a tiny sliver of Wales.

The question of identity is interesting, I would actually identify myself as a Mid-Walian. I introduce myself to Welsh people as a Mid-Walian, outside of Wales, I introduce myself as Welsh. But, this is just me, I am very strange!

I despair!! :sob: When I was a tad younger, we all said ‘hoffi’ in the south and I only heard ‘licio’ in the north!! (Maybe that was by chance and totally unrepresentative?) Clearly we all speak Cymraeg and never mind any tiny difference as it will all come out in the wash, and after a while it’ll be ‘all change’!!
To @stella and @mikeellwood
I love Mike’s road sign!! In 1952, that was how stable lads talked in Yorkshire. Before seeing Mike’s sign, I, sadly, suspected few people still spoke that way!
In 1969 when I lived in Yorkshire we had a lad in our lab who could speak broad dialect, but only did so for fun. I suppose he was losing his own language for the convenience of his employers, but I didn’t think of it like that. I was as bad as those who used the Not or the Turks in Kurdistan!! :anguished:

1 Like

Certainly people of my father’s generation round here use “lico”. (not exclusively, as always!) Whether what you heard was unrepresentative I can’t comment on without knowing how much Welsh you spoke with native speakers when you were younger. :slight_smile:

Very little, thinking back, due to lack of confidence and lack of opportunity!! It was only ever in and around Llanelli and in and around Caernarfon.

We’ve discussed this before. I suspect hoffi was quite rare amongst native speakers until the revival period from the 'sixties onwards when hoffi was promoted as a more “pure” word to be used in schools and adult education.

1 Like

Sounds likely, and I certainly think that it was also used naturally alongside lico before that, as people uncontaminated by such sources also use it naturally, if infrequently! (not that you are saying anything different!)

Oh I see!!! Diolch yn fawr!!

I believe I’ve said it before elswhere on this forum, but anyway.

I like “hoffi” more … besides … it goes very well with the “coffi” doesn’t it? :slight_smile: :coffee:

2 Likes

“I like “hoffi” more”
An excellent reason for using it! And many first language speakers naturally do so. As far as I know, it has ‘always’ been a preferred term in written forms of Welsh (which differ from the spoken, as it were). I think. :wink:

1 Like

As I have come very late to the world of smartphones, I have only just become aware that there is an S4C app.

In the description I read, it didn’t mention anything about geographical restrictions, and I just wondered if it had the same restrictions as you would have watching it on a computer.

I’m in the UK, so this doesn’t really affect me (unless I wanted to watch S4C while on holiday abroad I suppose), but I wondered if any out-of-UK-ers had tried it?

Unfortunately it has georestrictions and those are such ones that I can’t even see/find it in Google Play store. It doesn’t show no matter how I search for it. it shows on the computer in Play store though but as it’s for the phones/tablets and what’s more to it, can’t be downloaded as such on the PC.

So, yes, the app has the same (or even higher) restriction then things on the PC.

1 Like

On the Thread “Sending the Petition” I have posted a note mentioning the BBC’s idea that over 75s pay their License Fee as a voluntary contribution!! I now you are all too young to be effected, but if you know any older folk who might prefer to send money to S4C and can afford to, it might be worth ruffling a few feathers by sending e-mails!!

Ah well…thanks for checking. Perhaps it is not too surprising that it has the same restrictions. From some brief testing, at least it does seem to work quite well, although I could not find a way of getting subtitles (this was on Android). Still, I’m trying not to use subtitles these days. At least it means I should be able to get my fix of S4C next week when I’m out of the UK.

I notice there is also an S4C Tywydd app, as well as some others, apparently aimed at children.

http://www.s4c.cymru/ap/e_index.shtml

Will see those in the afternoon to see what’s available outside UK.

Just checking - has anyone successfully used the S4C Android App outside the UK . (for those programmes available outside the UK I mean) ?

I 'm on holiday outside the uk now, with what seems to be good wifi . Tried to play a programme .,got no error message but just get a circle in mid screen. Tried same prog via normal website and it started but stopped after a few mins. May be my wifi isnt quite good enough or prob. with phone. Can get Radio Cymru ok,diolch byth. :slight_smile:

As you get the buffering circle and a few minutes on wired. I would suggest it is simply a bandwidth issue, the S4C website is presumably on a UK server, but content probably isn’t stored locally on servers outside the UK`, due to low demand for it, so downloading involved downloading all the data, all the way from Wales, attempting to stream data coming in packets! I know the internet is a lot faster and can handle more data these days, but some things still take time. It would be interesting to try at a low peak time locally and in Wales?

1 Like

Well I suppose it must be some sort of buffering/data-rate issue . The funny thing is, the wifi in the villa we are renting is nominally quite fast. The problem could be down to the internet infrastructre here where we are staying in Lanzarote. Seems fine for email and trivial browsing and the forum,and even iplayer radio is ok most of the time,but I suppose streaming video is a lot more demanding.

I would still be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully got the s4c app to work outside the uk. So far, it hasnt worked for me at all. Tonight I was able to watch about 11 mins of RaR via the international S4c website (also via wireless by the way, on my android phone) but then it just stopped.

@mikeellwood No S4C app in the US, at least not on iDevices. I don’t know about Android, but @Tatjana said she didn’t find anything where she lives, so I’m sure it’s the same here. *There are a few games for kids based on Cyw, though. I haven’t looked at any of them.)

I don’t have any trouble watching the international S4C programming on the internet, with a PC - no buffering issues.

None of that helps you, unfortunately! Pob lwc!

1 Like