Run out of things to say ymarfer siariad

Do you find that you can’t think of things to say or run out of things to say? In the Deep End you need to do two hours worth of talking a week. I’ll be honest the most I manage is an hour and I can’t think of what to say in that hour :confused:
The people I’ve practiced with are great but I really wish I could think of more to say.
Maybe it’s another thing that will come in practice?

1 Like

I am not sure of your context but there are things to help. I often write down things that happen each day which may not be exciting but are something to talk about. If I had done that for today I would have a list such as the queue at Sainsbury’s, my daughter making a cake, my other daughter suggesting the family watch a film together, the little bit of rain we had, the cooking I have to plan for the weekend, annoyance at washing my hands/using gel/sore hands as a result etc etc. Hopefully, each topic will result in the people you are chatting with coming back to talk about the same thing. If you wrote the list every day you might have too much to talk about.

2 Likes

They don’t call me ‘Chatterbox’ for nothing, - I can talk the hind legs off a donkey. But several people I talk to online have suggested challenges which may need a bit of preparation - talking about a favourite holiday, for example (with embarrassing photos put online if possible), or recommending a book or film. One of my fellow chatters, a teacher, said she could write a book about school exchanges, so we agreed we’d each prepare a story about one (and put any difficult vocab on Slack/Skype in advance). Worst restaurant meal or TV personality? Your ideal job, if you could choose anything? Bucket list of things to do in your lifetime? Things you wouldn’t do even if people paid you? How you’d spend a million pounds? (Those last are for me - I can’t get my head round conditional tenses.) And so on and so on. I told you I could talk for ever. Pob lwc!

3 Likes

Diolch. :grin: I probably talk a lot in English

1 Like

Let me know when you next want to chat @jen, pick a topic, and we’ll see what we can manage.

But don’t clockwatch, whatever you do - just chat.
Perhaps you can think of some new things to throw over a wall - or hotel; who would you like to give a room number to? What’s the strangest thing you’ve done while practising Welsh?
Seem to remember there are sometimes things to fit into the chats too; or leave out…

2 Likes

Diolch. I’ll give you a message next week. I missed a week of practicing so that probably didn’t help.

1 Like

:+1: Who knows - I reckon sometimes your brain just blanks too.
(Dim neiaint - ond mae nith gyda fi…) :wink:

2 Likes

Mae ddau nith gyda fi :grin: mae fy nith I fod yn dod mis Mehefin dw i’n meddwl, chwech wythnos. (If that’s right :joy:)

1 Like

Nith neu nai?

1 Like

:joy: Nai. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I don’t talk to anyone for 2 hours, in any language. This became apparent to me when I did deep end. I just kept going as long as I could.

I’m just not that chatty!

5 Likes

Syniad da!

1 Like

Yes Jen, am finding it difficult, as in isolation do not meet anyone to talk to. My computer skills are limited, and I find if I try hangouts, my computer, the sound in particular gives up on me ! Also its an old computer and does not have built in mic and camera. So basically I have given up trying.
Am redoing the challenges but as for actual speaking feel I am going backwards and have no confidence at all.

I haven’t been on a hangout. I used video once and it didn’t correlate with the audio so now I do chars without it. Could you do that? Some people use Skype. You could use your phone? If you have a smart phone.
My only chance to speak with people is online it’s a shame that you are unable to do so. Maybe a phone conversation?

Oddly enough, although I’m a chatterbox on Slack, I find talking on the phone quite hard. So that means the person I’m chatting with can get a word in edgeways! If anyone fancies a chat, or just wants to practise some sentences over the phone with an admiring listener, send me a message.