Rownd a Rownd

Dwi’n wedi anfon carden Nadolig ‘Vince c/o Parry’s’…I would have sent one to Cwmderi but they are all arguing with one another and being tetchy so I’m not sure it would be appreciated. No lights on show either - diflas.

Da iawn! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Brilliant!!! Did you just put - ‘Vince c/o Parry’s’…with the post code?

And let’s not forget poor Mr Lloyd…

Ydy - Vince, c/o Parry’s, Rownd a Rownd, Menai Bridge (I couldn’t remember the proper Cymraeg name), Ynys Mon and postcode

Think I might send one similar, but to Cilbedlam, rather than Menai Bridge, just for fun. (With the postcode, it should still get there). Great distraction therapy for the hundreds (well it feels like) of “proper” Christmas cards I am supposed to be writing … :slight_smile:

Those Christmas lights:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3dqeyICIAA-Zgx.jpg:large
(from the RaR Twitter feed)

In passing, I found this, which I thought was quite interesting:

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=dale-street-or-cilbedlam-menai-bridge

Now, I thought in the series, “Cilbedlam” was supposed to be the name of the village where the action takes place (not just a street name), or am I wrong?

I’m also not sure where the name “Glanrafon” fits in. On the S4C RaR website, they refer to the school as “Ysgol Glanrafon”, although when we sometimes see the front of the school, it appears to have a different name (the real name of (one of) the school(s) where it is filmed, perhaps? - and this is a continuity-type error?)

And taking this page for example, both Cilbedlam and Glanrafon are referred to as places (the latter one being mentioned as a village at one point).

http://www.s4c.co.uk/rowndarownd/e_/adran/or-swyddfa/page/3/

(Yes, I should try to get out more … but it’s nice to have these details straight in one’s head :slight_smile: )

Porthaethwy apparently.

Here is the news we have all been waiting for…Cyngerdd Rownd a Rownd…Galeri, Caernarfom 20/02…"An evening of brilliant entertainment with the stars of S4C…Info/Tocynnau www.galericaernarfon.com (fundraising for local cancer charities)

Nothing to do with Rownd a Rownd specifically but thought I had to put it somewhere, eh.
I’ve been watching this since bootcamp last year and there’s been one or two words that come up very often that I’ve struggled to confirm the meaning of … until today, at last. One word in particular has annoyed me because, although I’ve know the meaning through context, I’ve never been able to find it anywhere to confirm the meaning (important to me). I was reading “inc” by Manon Steffan Ros last night and finally saw it written down and it turns out that it’s spelt differently to how I hear it pronounced … no wonder I’ve struggled to find it anywhere! And how easy it is when you know. Ffraeo = to quarrel (pronounced ffrio … I know they weren’t talking about frying.) And now I can relax.

3 Likes

Yes, I think I have come across that in recent weeks, possibly in writing and also possibly on RaR.

Also on RaR, I often come across “dwn im”. This may be well known, but I’m not 100% sure what it means. From the context as well as I remember it, it might have been “dw i ddim yn gwybod” (I think it was a reply to a question).

Might have just been “do’n i ddim”, but I have a feeling it wasn’t that.

Must look out more carefully for this (and similar usages) in future.

BBC Catchphrase (Dosbarth 144) has ‘cweryla’ - to quarrel. Prefer the sound of ‘ffraeo’ on balance

Dwn i’m = I don’t know :sunny:

1 Like

Diolch Aran.

Just found this interesting discussion on the phrase:

http://www.forumwales.com/fwforum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8330

Well, wherever it comes from, I shall use dwn i’m happily from now on and paid a phoenu about where exactly it comes from - it’s handily short when you need to deny all knowledge of something quickly. :slight_smile:

Well Aran, if you don’t know how are we supposed to learn? :wink:

1 Like

Wel y twmffat!..:wink:

The old jokes are the best :wink:

Hwyl,

Stu

1 Like

I don’t know any other type Stu. :wink:

1 Like

And, as used a lot in the book I’m reading at the moment …

Wn i = I know. Obvious but worth mentioning. :wink:

1 Like

Music question … Episode 22 from about 9:30 who is the band? Does anyone know? It might quench my thirst for Welsh language and decent drums in one. :smiling_imp: