Restarting after years of absence

In 2018, after a holiday to Wales and discovering you have a completely crazy language, I was swept of my feet by a song from Eve Goodman (Dacw Nghariad) as well as Dafydd Iwan’s Yma o hyd. After that I discovered the superb Welsh storyteller Daniel Morden.
I started the course and worked on it for two years. Then came Brexit and it was almost impossible to take our little dogs with us across the Channel and me and my wife decided to visit Denmark instead. So, I quit the course to focus on brushing up my Danish being half a Dane myself. Believe me, if you are trying to learn Welsh and Danish at the same time. Forget it.
This year we’re planning to go back to Wales and yes, last week I restarted the course with lesson 1. It feels a bit like coming home actually and even after three years I am surprised to find out so much of the language is still in my mind! In my experience this is a lovely way to learn the language however I will change one thing. I AM NOT GOING TO WRITE DOWN THE ENTIRE COURSE BECAUSE THIS IS NO HELP AT ALL. At least for me. I feel I’d like to add one big compliment tot the staff of SaySomethingInWelsh: they help you in any way possible. Gwych lawn. Greetings from Yr Iseldiredd (absolutely crazy word for The Netherlands). Hwyl! Vincent

4 Likes

Croeso nôl

LOL! I tried to learn a bit of Danish once - and I found that to be a completely crazy language!! I could not reconcile what was on the page with what I was hearing - parts of the words just seemed to disappear! (As it turned out, I hardly got to use any of what I had learned as everyone switched to English - a really similar issue to what happens here in Wales.)

Oh, and “Iseldiroedd” is literally Nether (i.e. low/isel) + land (tiroedd - mutated to diroedd), so makes perfect sense! :slight_smile: I’d love to know what it is in Dutch - is Netherlands / iseldiroedd a faithful representation of the original name?

That’s a good question! I’d like to know too :slight_smile:

Yes, Iseldiroedd means literally Low Land. In the 17th century it was Low lands.
Holland consists of the two provinces along the North Sea, North and South Holland, or in dutch: Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. Holland is an ancient word for Woodland, but wooden shoes are called ‘klompen’.

2 Likes