Reading free tourist brochures in Welsh and other languages to improve reading and vocab etc

Not sure if anyone has made this suggestion before, however recently I saw some free tourism brochures about Scotland in my local tourism information centre written in different languages, aimed at foreign tourists visiting this area, and decided to take them and try reading them (Spanish, especially). I’ve found that they are a great way to improve my reading skills and improve/consolidate vocabulary, as well as learn a bit about local history.

A useful thing to do was to take the same brochure written in English and compare this to the versions in other languages, though of course you can still use a dictionary to look up words you don’t know.

I was curious whether there were any such free brochures written in Welsh, and I found a few that contain both the English and Welsh text side by side, which you can read online:

Not all these contain the Welsh translation, however the ones about Snowdonia, Brecon Beacons, Ceredigion, LLandudno and The Valleys do. In addition to these, there were some others on the ‘Visit Snowdonia’ website:

There are probably others out there too, these are just some of the ones I found. Hope this was useful. I’m definitely going to get through these and use them as a way to improve my reading and vocab in Welsh. Plus it will be great to learn more about the history and geography of Wales too.

7 Likes

Thanks, I just nabbed them.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, Neil. Jolly brilliant thinking!

1 Like

this is awesome. Thanks mate!

1 Like

Funny story - there are a group of runners who regularly compete in the Snowdonia Marathon who affectionately call it ‘The Snod’ due to exactly the same typo being used in the title of one of their forum threads once. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah well…and if you trek Eyrie in enough weather-all-sorts snod is bound to happen…

1 Like

Haha awesome. Maybe we can start a new trend here :slight_smile: Thanks for letting me know, I corrected it anyway.

2 Likes

Ddiddorol…practical resources too…I guess knowing how to say that the house is mouldy is useful too!
https://www.rhentudoeth.llyw.cymru/cym/resource-library/

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn @neil-kendall :sunglasses: