Radio Cymru signal - Betsan Powys

Betsan Powys was interviewed on Taro’r Post last week and, in response to a question about the poor signal in some areas, asked listeners to get in touch so that she can make it known to the tech department. So if, like me, you’re struggling to pick up Radio Cymru on FM and/or DAB, send an email to radio.cymru@bbc.co.uk.

If you’re interested, you can hear the full interview with Betsan Powys here (available until Weds), and a transcript (yn Gymraeg) of some of the questions and answers are here.

[Edit: You can check what FM and DAB stations you should be receiving by entering your postcode on this page.]

So, this morning I had an email back from Radio Cymru, and my response was “Aaargh!” They said that they want to phone me to discuss the matter further. It took me ages to put together the email I sent them, detailing the various problems with the signal on FM and DAB, and I really don’t think I’ll be able to manage a conversation about it on the phone! (The email exchange was in Welsh, by the way.) Besides, I don’t really know what else I can tell them. Has anyone else done anything similar and had a conversation with Radio Cymru on the phone in Welsh about stuff like this? I’m thinking I may have to do it in English, but also want to - and feel that I should - attempt it in Welsh. Just feeling that it’s a bit beyond me at the moment. Any prior experiences so that I can know what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

Just let them know that you’re still learning for the time being but you’d prefer them to do the conversation in relatively simple Welsh rather than English, though you may need to use English vocab for some of the more technical terms. I’m sure that they’ll be more than happy to help!

Just be prepared not to be too embarrassed when they keep telling you how good your welsh is! :wink:

2 Likes

Yup, Rob’s on the money here. Go for it!..:smile:

Exactly. The folks at Radio Cymru – both the behind-the-scenes producers & the on-air people – have been nothing but kind to me. Remember, they’ll be recording the interview and not doing it live, and they will edit it to present what you did well. :slight_smile:

Diolch pawb, especially Rob! That’s exactly what I’ll tell them when I email back. Croesi bysedd I’ll manage to get through it without having to revert to English after the first question!

@Diane: It’s not something that’s being recorded. At least I hope not!!! It’ll just be someone from the Audience Services Dept wanting me to expand on the details of my email, I think.

Jon,
Go for it! Rob and Diane’s advice is spot on, but also, just trust in your own ability, you will surprise yourself with how well things will go. Apart from which, what is the worst thing that could happen?
At the last Eisteddfod, BBC Wales TV asked me to go and have a chat with the techies about their communications links, and i declined because I did not know the terms for megabits per second, microwave link etc. only to be told later that they all use English terms anyway.

Diolch yn fawr Louis. :slight_smile: And it’s a good point that you make. The techie terms will probably be in English!

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but as a bit of a radio anorak, I’ve recently put together a BBC Radio Cymru technical transmitter book. For the most, it’s just a load of technical jumble, however one page has a list of locations around Wales and border cities in England, along with the best frequencies to listen on. I tend to use it when travelling around and want to keep listening to Radio Cymru whilst on the move.

The list is available here if anyone is interested: http://splashoutradio.co.uk/gwybodaeth/Radio Cymru Locations.pdf

2 Likes

Trefyclo and Llanandras - a big fat zero. Exactly my experience. Yet the signal can be quite strong over the border in Shropshire.