Quick question - bydda

In Level 1, Challenge 11 on the vocab sheet, we have ‘byddai fe’ for he would. Yet, elsewhere, I keep seeing it written as ‘bydda fe’. What’s with the rogue ‘i’? Is it correct - and bydda fe is a short form?

Byddai is the proper written form. When you see it without the i, it’s just being written as you’d more often hear it in speech, so not so much a ‘short form’ as a ‘colloquial form’.

3 Likes

Yes, what Siaron said. A ‘short form’ is something different.

I had an answer written out then saw that Siaron beat me to it. No need in repeating the same thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am enlightened. Again! Many thanks.

2 Likes

The rogue “i” is probably me, apologies for that :flushed:
There’s always one…:unamused:
Good job there’s a Siaron and a Gruntius around :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes but -

Byddai = I would

Bydda = I will

Not quite … the ‘would’ and ‘will’ structures are similar but …

Byddwn i = I would

Bydda i’n = I will

3 Likes

I realised after replying that I had made a mistake -

Byddai fe’n/hi’n - he/she would

Bydda i’n - I will

There is no rogue ‘i’

Colloquially, the ai sound gets abbreviated (and in infomal writing, spelled) as a in the north and e in the south. So it would be normal on Facebook or Twitter for example to see, for example, 'sa fo (from mi fasai) or bydde fe.

2 Likes

Wherever you are in the world pronunciation within any language varies and letters may be dropped in colloquial speech . However, the correct form of the verb is byddai or basai third person singular conditional tense and bydda first person singular future tense and the presence of the ‘i’ makes a considerable difference.

1 Like