Question about conocí

¡Hola a todos!

I did a sneak preview of the start of Challenge 13 on the way to the siop mawr just now, and it introduces conocer and specifically the form conocí for “I met (for the first time)”. I think I can detect another of those pesky "a"s sneaking into sentences such as:

I met a young woman last night who wants to learn Spanish - * Conocí a una joven anoche que quiere aprender Espanol*

Are my ears correct? If so, I can accept the reason being “because it is…”, but I was not 100% I was hearing right.

Gracias,

Stu

1 Like

Yup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Phew! ¡Gracias Aran! Starting to tune into the language now, pienso

Stu

1 Like

Sounds like it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

¡Hola!

So listening even more closely now, I am hearing Conozco al hombre. Is this a el contracting to al or is something else happening here? I still hear Conozco a un hombre so I would have expected a el in the first example?

If that indeed is what is happening, is that a general contraction I can use elsewhere? As in Conocí al joven anoche? And (sorry for all the questions) what happens with a la - anything or nothing?

Muchas gracias,

Stu

1 Like

Hola,

That’s correct Stu, there is a contraction bewteen A + EL, which doesn’t happen between A + LA.

For ex:

Vamos al parque (A + EL)
Vamos a la pileta (A + LA)

Gaby

2 Likes

Gracias gaby.

I guess the counter-example of A él le gustaría… shows that it does not happen with A + ÉL.

¡Chao!

Stu

1 Like

Yes, in that case it doesn’t apply since él is a personal pronoun, not an article (To HIM as opposed to To THE). There is contraction only with the article.

Gaby

2 Likes

Muchas gracias de nuevo Gaby

Stu

1 Like