Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 27/11/2020 5️⃣

Bore da everyone, I hope that you are keeping safe and well and are looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Here’s a slightly different set of questions for you this weekend. :wink:

1) I believe in…

2) I’m quite intolerant of…

3) One of my worst fears is…

4) At the moment I’m hoping for…

5) I’m really quite excited about…

2 Likes

1) I believe in…

… the importance of meditation to detach from the self.

…people being unkind.

…that I might be forced to watch ‘The Goonies’ again one day.

…a largely coherent and successful Zoom ‘how to say Llanfairpwll’ lesson with Meinir Gwilym and Jeremy Vine this afternoon…

…launching our English-for-Spanish-speakers course…

4 Likes

Friday again already? Blimey! Thanks as ever for an interesting set of questions, @CatrinLliarJones :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and here are my answers:

1) I believe in…

the role of humour in helping me keep cheerful

Other road users who don’t say ‘thank you’ when I let them into traffic or other nice gesture

Spiders. Scuttling horrible things.

A return to normal(ish) life in the Spring, fingers crossed!

Watching my indoor pea plants growing and hoping they’ll flower out of season. I make my own fun, you know.

6 Likes

1) I believe in…

…only things for which I have direct evidence, or for which there is scientific consensus, I guess.

…intolerance of minorities or marginalised groups.

…being trapped in a small space or having my movement significantly restricted. *shudder*

…a successful vaccination programme so that, among other things, there will be a National Eisteddfod next year, and that I’ll be allowed to travel to it!

…a very geeky retro computing project I’ve been tinkering with for a while, which seems to be making some good progress lately. (FPGAs are fun!)

3 Likes

1) I believe in…
Life.

Injustice

Heights

Vaccine

Euro 2020

2 Likes

1) I believe in…

Equality. Magic. The benefits of good quality loo roll.

Inequality. Cheap loo roll.

My children becoming seriously ill.

The swift administration of the Coronavirus vaccine for my elderly parents.

Christmas.

1 Like

1) I believe in…

The innate goodness of ordinary people the world over.

The abuse of power, however and by whomsoever it is done.

The ongoing loss of personal liberty and freedoms, both here and in all quarters of the world

Wouldn’t dare tell you (it’s to do with the world waking up and smelling the coffee)

Bringing up my new puppy (my dear old collie died back in May at thirteen and a half, and this whole lockdown/travel restriction/firebreak thing has been horrible without her)

1 Like

Controversial opinions there @david-thomas-1

Would you care to expand on a few?.

2 Likes

I believe in…

Being kind and loving, God, the need to socially interact with people.

People who litter. Urgggh.

Giving the wrong impression.

The chance to speak Welsh in Wales again soon.

5) I’m really quite excited about

Seeing my parents again once the vaccine is rolled out.

4 Likes

Other road users who don’t say ‘thank you’ when I let them into traffic or other nice gesture

Have you seen the Michael McIntyre sketch about this @Stine ? My kids remind me of it whenever I’m getting wound up by this :laughing:

1 Like

1) I believe in…
Equality, kindness, and that Black Lives Matter

Bigots

…best not to think about that.

Lots of time with my family in the year to come.

The future. And bees. And Christmas. And now. And wood. And dinnertime. And wool. And that shiny thing over there…
[/quote]

8 Likes

1) I believe in…
Tolerance, equality and equity.

People who don’t show tolerance and compassion for all, especially the ones who call themselves religious. Oh, the hypocrisy!

Losing control. Not being able to protect my family and friends.

An independent england.

Retirement … only about 18 years to go.

7 Likes

1) I believe in…

Change and growth

injustice

A world without change

kindness

My son learning to walk (with equal bits of fear and trepidation)

5 Likes

No. I dont think this is the place for a discussion on religion or any other topic I mentioned.

@david-thomas-1 Everyone has a right to hold an opinion but also others have a right to question that opinion. Your original comments came across as controversial to say the least. I think you should stand by your convictions and explain what you mean.

Let’s start with these for now …
[edited in line with the original post]

5 Likes

There’s a strong argument that the David’s original reply was phrased in a way intended to rile, and would have best not been posted. Further discussion can’t lead anywhere compatible with the forum, I think.

7 Likes

@emma-ireland, no, I haven’t, but it sounds right up my street (see what I did there? :rofl:). Do you have a link? Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not sure how to do links! But here is what to put into YouTube I think, and the sketch is about 6 minutes 10 seconds in. It’s hilarious :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this, and I’ve held back because of the forum rules, but I don’t believe that the rules are there to prevent open and respectful discussion, so here goes. What’s happened now as far as I can see is this:

Someone’s said something that, in an attempt to be gentle, or nice, or whatever it is we’re being, we’re calling ‘intended to rile’ (that’s not an attack on you @wondersheep, it’s how I characterised it myself at first). I call it racist. The Black Lives Matter ‘agenda’ is simply this: that Black people’s lives matter. As much (not more) than White people’s lives. If that’s someone’s worst fear, and they publicly say that, then in my view, they’re being publicly racist. They are saying that Black people’s lives don’t, or shouldn’t, matter. We can all sit here and whistle and look the other way and pretend it hasn’t happened, but that’s nothing short of a validation. So, thank you @gruntius, for having the balls to draw attention to this. I’m ashamed that I didn’t immediately stand by your side.

Tagging @aran and respectfully asking the forum moderators to please take a look at this to make sure that this thread doesn’t get out of hand. I’ve always thought of this forum as a safe space. I’d like it to stay that way.

11 Likes

Isata, thank you for posting - I agree with you and Geraint, and I’m sorry for having missed this. Fixing it now.

9 Likes