Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 27/03/2020 5️⃣

So now that we are all on lock-down, lets share with each other the things that fill our days with joy, distraction, entertainment and escapism…

1) Which album should I download and listen to and why - you can name up to three?

2) Share with us a great recipe that’s easy and delicious.

3) Which televised series should I get my teeth in to - you can name more than one.

4) Give three great movies to out in my watch-list.

5) How are you currently managing to keep yourself fit?

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

1 Like

Which album should I download and listen to and why - you can name up to three?

Just 3?

Mory Kante - Tatebola
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt
Urban Creep - Sea Level

Why? Because they’re ffab. And to get yourself some good African and Pakistani vibes going. Oh, and you should get some Majida el Roumi going too - Esmaa Qalbi, bwm bwm bwm bwm… :heart:

Share with us a great recipe that’s easy and delicious.

Scrambled eggs with LOTS of garlic. And butter. And cashew nuts. Mmmmmmmmm.

Which televised series should I get my teeth in to - you can name more than one.

Have you tried the Peaky Blinders yet? MATE.

Give three great movies to out in my watch-list.

Apocalypse Now.
Heat.
Jaws.

How are you currently managing to keep yourself fit?

With unbridled optimism.

Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

What’s your favourite part of lockdown so far, Aran?

It’s Bedtime Basque, Catrin.

1 Like

Bedtime Basque

Is that an item of clothing? Sounds a bit “Steampunk” to me :laughing:

Glorious stuff, Rapture’s up there too.

1 Like

Everybody else has just completely forgotten what a weekend is, haven’t they? :wink: :joy:

1 Like

I spend Monday to Friday being retired and at the weekend, I try to relax. :laughing:

1 Like

I was busy having my birthday that particular Friday…

1) Which album should I download and listen to and why - you can name up to three?
Ahhh - good question - I don’t keep up with “albums” much. My all-time favorite CD is a Paul Winter Consort performance of “The Man Who Planted Trees,” narrated by Robert Lurtsema. Don’t know if it is even still available. Hmm… I should listen to that…

That’s a good question. How about “Chicken & Leek” - amounts for just me and my husband (easily doubled):

• cut up 1 chicken breast (or chicken tenders or similar) into bite size pieces
  • saute in olive oil w/ salt, pepper and herbs to taste (I use herbs de provence)
  • cut one leek in half lengthwise, then in 1" chunks; cut one stem of celery into small pieces
  • add leek & celery to chicken, cover & simmer about 10 minutes.
    Total time - 20 to 30 minutes
  • serve with rice.

3) Which televised series should I get my teeth in to - you can name more than one.
We don’t watch TV as such, just pick things from streaming. Watched the first ep of the new “Star Trek: PIcard” last night - the whole first season of that is currently available.

4) Give three great movies to put in my watch-list.
Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart, etc.
Sliding Doors, 1998, John Hannah, Gwyneth Paltrow
Much Ado About Nothing, 1993, Denzel Washington, Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branagh, etc.

Early morning walks in the neighborhood, weather permitting. Seeing more neighbors (at a distance) these days.

1 Like

Beach Boys Greatest Hits/Pet Sounds, Lou Reed Transformer, Stewart Copeland Rumblefish. Unless none of those will do in which case something by Adam Ant, or the Buzzcocks, oooh, hang on Orkney Wedding With Sunrise! All of those. All in one day.

Cheese Pie - any amount of cheese as long as it’s the same as each other but it’s good with cottage, Cheddar, cream cheese, Lancashire or Caerphilly, red L or double G, eggs, cream, S&P and paprika, mustard if the wind be coming from the east. Parsley is good too. We used to whip this lot together and wrap it in filo, but now I just mix it and cook it in a dish. Serve with caramelised onions. Or don’t make the pie and just eat the caramelised onions.

This Country.

Watched half of Rocketman last night. Would quite like to see the other half but sleep is such a demanding taskmaster. So that’s just one half of one film instead of the three you asked for. The onions will probably make up for it.

I didn’t know I was meant to be doing that…

2 Likes

Early 90s rock is still what gets my spine tingling and heart racing so how about some of that but from the more “accessible” end of the spectrum?
*Pearl Jam - Ten : Every song is a winner. Lots of memories are tied into this album for me. The last song, Release, can be played on a loop for the rest of eternity and I wouldn’t get bored.
*Nirvana - Unplugged : Hear what all the fuss was about with this band without the grunge if that’s not your thing. Such an incredible collection of tunes.
*Alice in Chains - Unplugged : The same here too, no grunge, just pure brilliant musicianship and incredibly innovative harmonies. Massive! Huge!

Before the vegan days I used to make this easy wok meal at least once a week.

Heat some oil in a wok, add a diced onion and some mixed herbs until soft. Chop up a few slices of cheap ham and chuck that in until starting to brown. Throw in some cubed cheese and 2 or 3 eggs until the cheese has melted and the eggs are cooked. Add about 50g per person of freshly cooked rice and a good splash of soy sauce. Give it a good stir for a minute or two. Et voila!

I don’t watch serieseses but Trace watches loads, I’ll ask her and edit this later …

Edited to add .Netflix serieseses …

River.
Unforgotten.
And also she loves Vera.

4) Give three great movies to put in my watch-list.
Recently watched and loved Green Book, brilliant. But before that the 3 films I would urge you to watch are, in no particular order:
Fences
Fences
Fences.

What an incredible film and a superb performance by all the cast, especially Viola Davis. Just WOW!

Kids … at home every day. No explanation needed.

Also Tuesday and yesterday Lowri and I went out for a 5k amble, her on her bike and I was running. That blew some cobwebs away.

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…
My question is to @aran … “It’s bedtime Basque, Catrin.”

Are we talking about a language here or a rather snug fitting piece of apparel?

Answer in your own time …

1 Like

I assumed it was a private code, so didn’t ask.

2 Likes

I assumed the same so had to ask. :joy:

2 Likes

I posted the same question about Basque earlier but then chickened out. Glad to see there are at least two other steampunk fans. :slight_smile:
edit: You’ve given me confidence to undelete my post of 6 days ago - great minds ??? :laughing:

2 Likes

Calm down over there.

Oh, you lot. It never even crossed my mind that anyone could be unaware of the fantastic work Deborah’s doing adapting our Bedtime Welsh videos into The Basque Language… [rolls eyes dramatically] :joy:

2 Likes

Oh, that’s boring Aran. We were hoping for / dreading a picture of you in a basque à la Frank N Furter from Rocky Horror. :wink::crazy_face:

5 Likes

Let me lose a stone or so first…

1 Like

No don’t do that - just dress up as a Basquing shark :laughing:

4 Likes