Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 23/10/2020 5️⃣

Bore da bawb! :smiley:

We’re on a verge of a short sharp two week lockdown here in Wales, right at the time when the weather is beginning to get mucky and cold. But we’re rolling up our sleeves and pulling together to make the most of it and help each other our when and where we can. So on that note…

1) When was the last time you went out of your way to help someone else, and the last time someone went out of their way to help you?

2) Given recent travel restrictions and therefore lack of holidays - if you were given limitless funds to transform a room in your home into a favoured travel destination, where would that be and what would you fill the room with?

3) If I came to you looking for suggestions for a new hobby or interest to pass the time, what would you be introducing me to?

4) Given the prospect of a long term lockdown what random, self indulgent items would you stock up on?

5) If you could virtually attend any performance in the world, what would that be?

Hope you all have a splendid weekend! :smiley:

1 Like

1) When was the last time you went out of your way to help someone else, and the last time someone went out of their way to help you?

I made some (pretty easy) pies for Beca’s son Tomi, which apparently are edible (Tomi’s got some back problems, and Beca was doing shuttle runs in and out of hospital, and Tomi requires industrial amounts of food!).

And Catrin arrived home the other day with a bottle of port, which has definitely made up (in part) for my broken finger. [Don’t worry too much, Catrin thinks it’s just man-flu, or possibly a sprain.]

2) Given recent travel restrictions and therefore lack of holidays - if you were given limitless funds to transform a room in your home into a favoured travel destination, where would that be and what would you fill the room with?

It would be Havana, and I would fill it with eye-wateringly expensive rum.

3) If I came to you looking for suggestions for a new hobby or interest to pass the time, what would you be introducing me to?

I would look at you in bafflement and wonder where you were going to get the time from. And then I’d suggest learning how to handle birds of prey.

4) Given the prospect of a long term lockdown what random, self indulgent items would you stock up on?

Port, to go with my fine Cuban rums. And maybe a serious VR system.

5) If you could virtually attend any performance in the world, what would that be?

Mmmm. Dunno. Someone playing Mozart, maybe. Or something from China. I’m not sure I’m very good at virtually attending things… :wink:

3 Likes

So rather than remain 1 week behind, I thought I’d double up today :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to help someone in my Basque class who is having trouble understanding the grammar structures, which isn’t really out of my way as I enjoy helping people with languages :slight_smile: and my landlord is about to help me as he’s agreed to come by with his drill and put my paintings up for me!

I rather fancy Machu Picchu, and I’d fill the room with a band of musicians from the Andes.

Definitely Esperanto!

Things that I’m currently finding impossible to buy here - Brazil nuts, fresh blueberries (I think Spain exports them all to the UK!), Dorset Simply Nutty Muesli, and feijoas (from Aotearoa). Really miss those feijoas!

The first live performance of Wintergatan where they present Martin’s fantastic new Marble Machine. I have an agreement with @lornarhodes that we will meet up and go together, whenever and wherever it is held (I haven’t forgotten Lorna :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

When was the last time you went out of your way to help someone else, and the last time someone went out of their way to help you?**

I sent a box of food supplies to a good friend after he lost his job in late September. He’s since found some part-time work so I’d like to think that the surprise delivery (or at least the chocolate digestives) helped boost his mood and enthusiasm for job applications forms…

My friend sent me a bunch of flowers this week- a lovely thought and completely unexpected!

Most definitely Brazil and it would be full of those caipirinha cocktails.

Ice-skating. Graceful gymnastics (on ice or any other solid ground) is something I’ve never mastered and despite the bruises, I just love it. :laughing: None of my friends ever want to join me when I suggest it…

A fine wine or two!

An Anna Meredith gig for sure. She is SUPERB.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Thanks as ever for some fab questions!

1 Like

I’ve been shopping and caring for my parents during the pandemic as well as shopping for an elderly neighbour. I enjoy the occasional 'accidentally on purpose overcooks which I can share within our little community here.

My parents bought me a cordless vacuum cleaner as a thank you for all the care - the time and effort it’s saved me in housework is astounding.

It would be a continental coastal location, grapevines, birdsong, wine fridge, large wooden table, chairs with cushions in rich and colourful fabrics, candle votives, plants, a window with a view of the sea and A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat hanging on the wall.

I would teach you to draw and we could do some yoga.

Expensive bedding, fine wines, fragrant candles (some lavender, jasmine and spiced winter ones), and the largest bottle of Elemis Revitalise Me body wash/shower gel.

Opera at the Palais Garnier.

2 Likes

I washed my elderly neighbour’s car yesterday. I don’t think she knows anything about cars so I like to keep on top of the visual stuff for her like checking the tyre treads and pressures too. I fetched a take-away for another neighbour too, they’re still isolating after testing positive last week.

The first neighbour reciprocated with a bag of sweets and an apple and blackberry crumble. :grinning:

We’ve never travelled to southern Europe but I love the food so maybe a makeshift pop-up Sicilian restaurant or something … as long as it comes with someone to cook the authentic dishes obviously.

Drums and percussion. Lots of energy, lots of noise and such a great stress reliever.

Savoury and spicy snacks. I could easily see myself being twice the size I am though.

I reckon it’d be a Ross Noble show but I’m not sure comedy is ideal to virtually attend. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes