Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 20/11/2020 5️⃣

Bore da to you all! I hope you are all well and have an enjoyable weekend planned, well as far as you ca during various lockdowns here and there.

This morning I’m breaking with my usual traditions and routines and preparing to put our Christmas tree up as a surprise for the kids when they come home from school. It’s the earliest I’ve ever put it up, but I think we need it this year. The kids, and us adults could do with an extra dose of magic at the moment. So…

1) Share with us a memorable time when you broke with protocol and ignored the rules?

2) Considering festivities, events and national holidays, what’s the most unusual one you’ve ever been involved in?

3) If you could celebrate anything right now, what would it be and what would your celebration look like?

4) HYGGE (pronounced hoo-ga) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. So, if you could curl up in front of the fire tonight with your favourite movie, drink and snack, what would your choices be?

5) Make up your own Friday Five type question and answer it. :smiley:

hurrah for it being Friday again already! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1) Share with us a memorable time when you broke with protocol and ignored the rules?

well, of the ones I can tell you about, probably the time when I was a student and a group of us annoyed the university authorities by building a makeshift shelter outside the senior management offices to protest about new students being accommodated on camp beds in the gym instead of being given proper rooms

2) Considering festivities, events and national holidays, what’s the most unusual one you’ve ever been involved in?

An event to celebrate National Language Learning month many years ago, organised by my then workplace. Each department put forward someone to learn a language intensively over a month, and then be assessed by a judging panel by having to answer some questions and recite a poem in the language by heart. I got Danish. I didn’t win, but it did indirectly get me a husband…

3) If you could celebrate anything right now, what would it be and what would your celebration look like?

I’d be celebrating the fact that it’s Friday and prohibition hasn’t been reintroduced. So there might be wine.

4) HYGGE (pronounced hoo-ga ) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. So, if you could curl up in front of the fire tonight with your favourite movie, drink and snack, what would your choices be?

Snack = Walkers Sensations Lime Chutney Popadums. I could eat those by the ton.
Drink = White wine, with an aperitif of Aber Falls Rhubarb & Ginger gin & tonic.
Movie = depends on the mood, but one of ‘An American Werewolf in London’, ‘Spinal Tap’ or ‘An Officer & a Gentleman’

5) Make up your own Friday Five type question and answer it.
Q What luxury would you take to a desert island?
A Chocolate. And a mini-fridge.

2 Likes

When I had just started junior school I thought it was so unfair that the boys took over the whole yard for football and girls had to play on the margins, that I staged a one-girl protest and sat on the ball. I was quickly surrounded by a playground full of angry older boys, and realised I’d bitten off more than I could chew. I was wondering how to get out of it when one of the boys called me a racist name that another boy (Nathan Blake’s brother, as it happens) took exception to, and I was able to sneak away while they were ‘discussing’ the matter. Nothing changed with regard to the football, but I learned something about how quickly the balance of power can shift, and how to take advantage of a distraction.

Seeing the village ‘devil’ dance in my home village, Greema, and the Bundu (women’s society) devil in my Grandmother’s village, Pujehun, when I went back for the first time. Fun, awesome, and terrifying, all at the same time.

I’m going to have a Christmas daquiri tonight to celebrate the fact that it isn’t Christmas yet, but it soon will be.

4) HYGGE (pronounced hoo-ga ) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. So, if you could curl up in front of the fire tonight with your favourite movie, drink and snack, what would your choices be?
Roasted peas and a Christmas daquiri in front of Children of Men.

5) Make up your own Friday Five type question and answer it.
Q: What’s a Christmas daquiri?
A: I don’t know yet, but I’ll have fun creating it.

2 Likes