Pump am y Penwythnos/Friday Five 18/10/2019

I’m currently sitting in a dark Travelodge room at Gatwick Airport, looking forward to flying to Greece with my family later this afternoon. I’m full of cold and have had but 4 hours sleep because of it. Having said that though, I’m determined that nothing on earth is going spoil the excitement of our first family holiday abroad in over three years… hell hath no fury and all of that… :wink:

1. What is the furthest you’ve ever travelled from home?

2. What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far?

3. What’s your worst holiday disaster?

4. If you could relive one holiday…?

5. What’s would be your ultimate dream trip?

6. Make up your own holiday related question and answer it…

1 Like

*** What is the furthest you’ve ever travelled from home?**

Our mis mel to Fiji and New Zealand. 48 hours door-to-door to arrive in Fiji. Worth every minute of it!

*** What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far?**

It’s hard to beat the week we had at the Eisteddfod this year. Really amazing week!

*** What’s your worst holiday disaster?**

I went to Prague years ago and spent a day and a half no further than 2 metres from a toilet. I had a horrendous temperature and felt awful.

*** If you could relive one holiday…?**

I think Amsterdam recently. We had a really lovely time in a great city.

*** What’s would be your ultimate dream trip?**

I’ve thought about this a lot over the years and I can’t pinpoint one single trip. I wouldn’t want to be gone for long because moving around gets tedious. I’d want to stay in places for long stretches to really get to know them.

Places on my list:
Vietnam
Japan
Scandinavia + Denmark
-All of it!
Cuba
USA
East Coast
Rockies
Mid West
Old and Deep South
Canada
Rockies
Lakes
Germany
Poland
The Adriatic
Italy
I mean…that’s the tip of the iceberg

*** Make up your own holiday related question and answer it…**
Can anyone help me choose?
You don’t need to choose just work through the list

4 Likes

What is the furthest you’ve ever travelled from home?
I think San Antonio is geopraphically the farthest. We went as part of a kind of Greyhound bus tour of the U.S. in January 2001.

What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far?
We’ve had some great holidays in statics in the north west including Porthmadoc and Pwllheli. Great memories.

What’s your worst holiday disaster?
Suspected miscarriage while in Dominican Republic …

If you could relive one holiday…?
9 days in Dol de Bretagne last year … we’re going to relive it this year but in better accommodation (hopefully).

What’s would be your ultimate dream trip?
A permanent holiday in the north west … C’narfon, Llŷn, Ynys Môn, Harlech, etc. No guilty flights involved, the best my country has to offer is the best in the world. Why kill the planet to go and get what we already have on our doorstep.

Make up your own holiday related question and answer it…
What is your recipe for a great holiday?

Good views, good food, good company.

4 Likes

Good point! I actually really want to travel from Tyddewi to Llanelwy around the coast, so scrap my answer I want Geraint’s!

2 Likes

The tip of South Island, New Zealand
2. What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far?
Every childhood summer with my grandparents in Llangadog and Beaufort respectively.
3. What’s your worst holiday disaster?
Coping with family illness far away from home
4. If you could relive one holiday…?
The 2004 road trip round the USA with my son. 22 states! :smile:
5. What’s would be your ultimate dream trip?
A railway holiday in Canada or Switzerland (Sad but true)
6. Make up your own holiday related question and answer it…
Q: What would be your best holiday if you regained your youthful fitness?
A: My elder daughter plans to walk the Pilgrim’s Way to Santiago de Compostela. I’d love to be able to accompany her. I’ve done the first few miles of it some years ago from Le Puy en Velay in the Auvergne.

3 Likes
  1. What is the furthest you’ve ever travelled from home? The Maldives, Indian Ocean
  2. What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far? We once had a staycation when the kids were young and toured the places we lived near to that we always wanted to visit.
  3. What’s your worst holiday disaster? Pontins in Weston Super Mare. The accommodation was a shed, or very close to it.
  4. If you could relive one holiday…? Iceland. Magical country with many surprises and beautiful locations
  5. What’s would be your ultimate dream trip? Walking the complete Welsh Coastal Path. I’m probably too old for this now but I can dream.
  6. Make up your own holiday related question and answer it… What is your most memorable moment in time on a holiday? I was swimming out of my depth over coral and was joined by two sharks swimming below me.
4 Likes

Enjoy your well deserved holiday and get well soon.

3 Likes

What Ken said. :smile:

2 Likes

Quick check in the atlas - probably Levuka in the Fiji islands.

1. What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far?

Every day is a holiday in Cricieth.

1. What’s your worst holiday disaster?

Hard to choose between them, but waiting 10 days for a bus (which never came) in Tanzania would have been up there, if it weren’t for the unforgettable women and kids camped in the dirt with me.

1. If you could relive one holiday…?

Travelling on foot and by canoe in the national parks of northern Australia.

1. What’s would be your ultimate dream trip?

Like @AnthonyCusack, I have a list as long as my arm, but I no longer fly. So I will travel round the world literally in my dreams.

1. Make up your own holiday related question and answer it…
    [/quote]

Where would you go for an unforgettable holiday taking in amazing people, cultures, scenery, food, architecture etc that doesn’t involve flying or (yawn) cruising? And I can’t answer it, which is why I asked!

1 Like

There’s a film called ‘The Way’ starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez who play, rather conveniently, a father and son, that centres around that very walk. Pretty good film too.

1 Like

Agreed. I really enjoyed it. I’ve also enjoyed the various TV documentary series that have appeared. I found the huge variation in motivation of the walkers very interesting.

2 Likes

1 Like
  • What is the furthest you’ve ever travelled from home?
    New Zealand. 29hours.
    But I did go to the Horsehead Nebula once. Without even leaving my bed :wink:

• What is the best holiday you’ve ever had without having to travel very far?
    I took my wife to Paris for a birthday trip. Fell in love with the place!

• What’s your worst holiday disaster?
    Last August Bank Holiday, wifey and I were in Cornwall, second day in. She fell down and broke her crown… quite literally, unfortunately. 20 stitches later, overnight in Truro Hospital and I collected a very shaky wife. Later that day, she was so uncertain on her feet we returned home. It took 8 months before she could face anyone cutting her hair.

• If you could relive one holiday…?
    When I was 16, I went to St.Malo for two weeks. It was a study holiday, learning French in the mornings and going for trips in the afternoons. Awesome!

• What’s would be your ultimate dream trip?
    I’ve been intrigued with the thought of going everywhere and doing everything for quite a while. Life’s too short…

• Make up your own holiday related question and answer it…
    *What holiday competition have you entered recently that you’d really like to win?
    A trip for four to Japan to see Wales win the RWC with £25000 spending money.
    At least, that’s my memory of the prize… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like