Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 16/10/2020 5️⃣

Bore da bawb, I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

1) Name five random yet interesting objects you can see from where you’re sitting.

2) What are you going to do to feed your soul this weekend?

3) What’s your favourite Welsh word and why?

4) Tell us about something you’ve recently become really interested in, and tell us one interesting thing about it?

5) If you had the means, what one self indulgent purchase do you believe would make another lockdown far more bearable for you?

1 Like

1) Name five random yet interesting objects you can see from where you’re sitting.
My laptop with the SSiW forum showing (obviously), today’s shopping list, three vases in a cluster (I don’t know why either), the latest Lingo Newydd and a model of Mr Bean (my children think I look like him).

I now run the Zoom system at my church (and take the service) every fortnight. I don’t think it helps feed my soul because I stand there struggling with Power Point, juggling two laptops, getting the cameras in the right direction(s), worrying over our dodgy internet connection, keeping the congregation in the church happy as well as those at home… So, although I will be totally stressed, I hope that everyone else’s soul gets a little something from it!

Pam? Not really my favourite word but my most used. For example, why was there a mutation there, why has that word I learned suddenly shrunk to just the last two letters so I can never pick up the meaning when I hear them spoken, why doesn’t anyone use the words I know so that I have to learn even more with the same meaning etc.

4) Tell us about something you’ve recently become really interested in, and tell us one interesting thing about it?
Overhead projectors. What’s interesting is that one Sunday they connect up to my laptops without any problem and then the next Sunday…

5) If you had the means, what one self indulgent purchase do you believe would make another lockdown far more bearable for you?
A cottage in Wales with a beach to the front, the mountains to the back, in a village with a pub and a chapel, a small Waitrose and a teaching hospital within a five minute drive (now that I am getting old the last is potentially the most useful).

8 Likes

Lego bricks calendar
Los novios del mojon figurines
Aboriginal boomerang
Gareth Kings Modern Welsh book
My home office (necessary, not interesting though!)

1. Welsh and a walk! Love them both.

2. Ysgrifennu, just because it has a beautiful rhythm

3. Cymraeg! Been learning since lockdown began and the best thing I’ve done in years! Genuinely

4. Buy a camper van, leave my job and explore Wales. Granted, that’s not compatible with lockdown but it on my bucket list, subject to a lottery win!

5 Likes
  1. Name five random yet interesting objects you can see from where you’re sitting.
    My harp.
    Flower pots painted by my kids full of herbs.
    Clogs hanging on the wall from a visit to Holland.
    Many postcards from the postcard club.
    Our rainbow is still in the window… it’s not quite over yet.

2. What are you going to do to feed your soul this weekend?
    Chapel on Sunday always feeds my soul. I’m also looking forward to a walk in the peak district with other Welsh speakers from the area.

3. What’s your favourite Welsh word and why?
    So hard to pick, they are so beautiful. I just learned hysbysebu which is fun to say.

4. Tell us about something you’ve recently become really interested in, and tell us one interesting thing about it?
    Speaking Welsh! I started in march and and I’m obsessed :joy: apart from the beautiful language, making so many new friends has been brilliant.

5. If you had the means, what one self indulgent purchase do you believe would make another lockdown far more bearable for you?
    I was going to say a kitchen aid mixer, then saw that @peterallen asked for a cottage by the sea in Wales and realised that i needed to set my sights higher! So yes please, Welsh cottage for me too please.

6 Likes

A moody tapestry, ‘On the fells’, which I’ve recently purchased, a splayed copy of ‘Yn fflach y fellten’ thrown down in frustration, an inviting pot of hummus, a couple of carrots (lunch, with the hummus), and a black and white postcard of Zaraysk in Russia from Nastya.

Taking a friend to St Cybi’s Well in Llangybi. I’ve sold it as a walk (and there’s an Iron Age hill fort on the top of the hill), but I’ll be disappointed if my dodgy shoulder isn’t healed also.

Currently ‘bechingalw’, thanks to @siaronjames.

Llanalhaearn - it’s very hard to spell. But see also Catrin’s film, posted on the forum, about her family’s contribution to its co-operative.

A hot tub, with the other two Macheteers in it.

6 Likes

I should have changed my favourite word to sgrechian. We have a hot tub booked (that comes with a cottage) outside Tywyn for my daughter’s 30th birthday in December. Looks like Covid has sunk our plans now.

2 Likes

• A lava lamp. Rockin’ it old school.
  • A Cambodian banknote which I found in a geocache a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it’s a 100 Riel note, which is only worth about 2p, but it looks very pretty and has Khmer script on it!
  • My notebook containing countless notes from projects in various stages of completion (none completed)
  • A small potted cactus
  • The Royal Exhibition Building! I have to lean forwards and crane my neck slightly to see it, but I can do so from where I’m sitting so I think that counts :slight_smile:

The weekly online Zoom quiz with the local Welsh crew, which has been happening every Saturday evening without fail since early May - always fun and we learn some interesting facts every week! Other than that, if the weather plays nice, hopefully some time out walking the parks in my 5km permitted travel radius…

Dyfrllydrwydd. I enjoy using it to frighten people who think that Welsh “has no vowels” :wink:

Recently? Mechanical keyboards, I guess. Not because I’m particularly into the whole tactile or aesthetic aspect of it as many people seem to be, but simply because I’ve always dreamed of having a keyboard with my own ideal physical key layout, and it turns out that it’s possible for ordinary people to make just such a thing.

A copy of Logic Pro and a MIDI-capable USB audio interface. Can I have both as part of the same purchase please? Though to be honest, we’ve actually been in our second lockdown here for two and a half months already, and we’re hoping this one will be over soon…

6 Likes

Anglesey, especially the lighthouse
the verbena and the viburnum in my terrace garden
my Molton Brown rhubarb & rose hand cream
my enormo tea cup (a present from a former colleague)
my dog lying under my desk

Plant new seeds & spend time walking my dog. And do some stitching. And reading.

Dychwelyd because I just love the sound of it

Doing the Times cryptic crossword, which keeps me on my toes. I’ve learned that pretty much anything can be an anagram indicator, sigh

Warm shawls, woolly jumpers, fluffy socks, perfumed candles and rich, luxuriant body creams. I’m going full-on hygge this winter!

3 Likes

I just asked Google Translate what ‘dyfrlldrwydd’ means. It said ‘torrentiality’. I’m no wiser.

1 Like

I don’t think we’re for sale, but it certainly wouldn’t take much to tempt us in.

It’s just as well, really: you might have turned up to find three Macheteers in it!

1 Like

Dwfr is an old-fashioned form of dŵr “water”…
-llyd is a suffix making adjectives, kind of similar to -y in English, e.g. rhew “ice”, rhewllyd “icy”…
Combining the two, you get dyfrllyd “watery” (a W changing to a Y is a thing that sometimes happens)
Finally -rwydd is a suffix which has the same function as -ness in English…
So dyfrllydrwydd means “wateriness”! Not a hugely useful word perhaps, but lots of fun to write and say :rofl:

3 Likes

• One of those balancing wine bottle holders that never has a wine bottle in it (I tend to drink them straight out of the shopping bag)
  • A wildlife trap camera (we were hearing strange noises in the attic - turns out a cat’s had a litter of kittens in there)
  • A bag of seeds I collected while on holiday
  • A cardboard whale with some feathers stuck in it (buzzard, seagull, pheasant and blue tit if you want details)
  • The view. It’s always there, and always interesting

My car was dropped back from the garage today, and one of the men took a photo of the view. It made me sad that hardly anyone gets to see it these days, so I’ll be giving it some attention this weekend.

I’ve thought and thought about this and I can’t choose one. They all work together.

Weaving Dorze bamboo houses. I watched a programme on it and now I’m convinced I could make one. If I had some bamboo. Did you know they get shorter by about a foot every 9 years due to being eaten at the bottom by termites?

A new swimsuit, for the hot tub I’ve been promised.

5 Likes

My old 01LX landline phone 35 years old and still working
My IPTV receiver
My new keyboard with the red backlights
A painting from Venice
The “I want to be I Welsh speaker …” note sticking on my computer monitor

Local butchers sausages and a single malt Islay whiskey (Yes soul and belly sometimes agree)

It’s more a phrase, it’s “Bum minud i bump” which reminds me of the old Doo-Whop songs

Saysomethinginwelsh. Finally I found the time to get into the welsh language

I can’t really imagine anything money can buy that makes a lockdown more bearable.

3 Likes

A beautiful painting that I was gifted in the last SSiW party.
A stack of books that is ever present but always evolving.
A guitar that I’ll never be able to play.
An Yvonne Coomber painting that was a birthday present to my wife.
My wife.

Family time. Two members of which are now in forced isolation having being contacted by track and trace. Difficult times, eh!?

There are loads, could I list a few and tell you why I like them?

Gwych because it’s great.
Prydferth because it’s beautiful.
Anhygoel because it’s incredible.
Hyfryd because it’s lovely.
Diddorol because it’s interesting.

Here’s a few I don’t like.

Sbwriel is rubish.
Ofnadwy is awful.
Gorddefnyddio is overused.
And bondigrybwyll isn’t really worth mentioning

Very, very recently. I made some popcorn this evening for the first time ever (I’m 49 you know!). You can flavour it with anything … literally any flavour imaginable. I’l be making more tomorrow.

I’m sorry to be that person but I really don’t need anything. Could I buy some really great weather please?

4 Likes

I moved to a smallholding 3 years ago from Dorset and now have sheep and never regretted it. I’m very stop/start with my Welsh at the moment! I’ve made friends at a church nearby, and joined a Welsh choir, but because of the current situation can’t practise with Welsh speakers very often now, which has stopped me speaking regularly. I feel a bit shy to start speaking on this site. Silly really!

Aah it sounds idyllic! Are you on the slack speaking group? I recommend it so much! It is nerve wracking at first, but so worth it as there are loads of sessions and you can speak Welsh every day if you have time! The tutors Nia and Deborah are lovely, and everyone is really encouraging. I feel like I’ve made loads of new friends and I really look forward to the chat sessions xx

I set myself a reminder to come and do this, but it appears being 1 hour ahead makes it just a tad early for Catrin, so I’ll answer last week’s that I missed :joy:

A big old-fashioned looking street lamp that perhaps used to have a gaslight protected by glass at one time, but the glass is gone and now the pigeons use it as a handy place to shelter from the rain.

My brand new, vibrant orange curtains (I couldn’t have put that last week :rofl:)

The latest Esperanto magazine from the Universal Esperanto Association

A child’s book in Basque - Entzumena - hearing

A mug with Irish writing on it - a gift from one of our new Welsh speakers of Irish background

Go for a walk exploring parts of Vitoria-Gasteiz I haven’t found before

Sgwarnog - I love the way the ‘r’ feels in my mouth when I manage to roll it

The local Cinema Club - it shows old films that I haven’t seen then there is discussion about the film afterwards

A few extra hours in each day so I could do everything I want to do!

1 Like