Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 04/01/2021 5️⃣

OK, I know it’s not Friday, but seeing as we’ve had a break over the Christmas and New Year period, I thought I’d throw in a bonus set of questions to get us all going again…

1) How did you see the New Year in?

2) In which way has living in a pandemic changed your perspective on life?

3) If you made any New Year’s resolutions, how do you intend to keep them?

4) What are you looking forward to in 2021?

5) What are you grateful to the year 2020 for giving/bringing you?

and a couple of bonuses…

6) Share with us five positives in your life right now?

7) Make up your own new year themed question and answer it…

4 Likes

Same as you. Jools Holland and over-excited pre-teens.

I think it’s brought my focus closer to the now, but not often in a successful Zen kind of way, more in a generally unsettled and frustrated kind of way.

I didn’t. Going to keep on working on myself as usual… :slight_smile:

Launching our English-for-Spanish-speakers course.

Genuinely struggling a bit on gratitude for 2020. But there have been some good walks and some good conversations in there :slight_smile:

and a couple of bonuses…

I’m healthy.
I’m able to work.
My family is healthy.
We have a dog.
I love meditating.

Are you relieved to see the back of 2020?

Well, yes and no. More worried about 2021 than I was about 2020 in the first place…

9 Likes

With the adult kids who are still living with us. We can see Canary Wharf and the Dome from our bedroom in the loft and spent the final moments of 2020 wondering if it was a good idea to go and look out of the window with the danger of waking my wife!

I am not that sociable a person but have missed people. My work also entails visiting building sites in Central London and I just love travelling around and going into some of London’s iconic buildings so I will be even more appreciative of them and the city.

I make my resolutions on the 31st January. That was the date I was made redundant nine years ago which was a massive change in my life so I use it as a time to look backwards at what I have done since then and what I could do in the next year.

Informal Bwtcamp, the Eisteddfod (crossed fingers), a week in Nant Gwyrthern (I have already paid but no dates yet) walking in Wales speaking in Welsh.

Well, at the moment, I am more grateful for it not giving me Covid.

and a couple of bonuses…

Oh, I have looked at Aran’s answers so will steal the first three (well the third one is a bit dodgy but 2020 has been unusually good for that too). I would add Zoom/Skype and possibly phone calls with my mother (‘normally’ once a week now every day). A sixth would actually be not having a dog!

[/quote]
When am I going to get the Corona virus jab?
Um, according to Google after 40m others!

7 Likes

Sitting in my flat, hearing the sounds of fireworks and seeing the clouds lit up, but unable to go out and actually see where they were due to the curfew. It was nice listening to them though and feeling the excitement of a new year.

It’s made me more aware than ever of the need to consider that we live in a community and we need to put the welfare of the community above any personal desires or wishes.

I’m determined to become a Basque speaker this year, and I will use every opportunity to achieve that goal. I don’t understand much when people speak now, but I remember being at that stage in Welsh and I became a Welsh speaker so I know it’s possible.

Being able to go out and walk in the fresh air without having to wear a mask! And maybe a trip to visit family in Australia later in the year.

The chance to move to the Basque Country, which was hit and miss for a while there! But also happy that everyone in my family is happy and healthy.

and a couple of bonuses…

I live in an amazingly historical place and I can walk to everything I need.

The Basque speakers I’ve met are as supportive of Basque learners as Welsh speakers are of Welsh learners.

We have snow!

The theatres and music venues are still open and tickets are extremely reasonably priced.

There is a local Esperanto group happy to meet from time to time.

Will 2021 be the year you actually decide to stay in one place? YES :joy:

9 Likes

Q How can it be 30 years since 1991?
A That’s what happens when you’re busy enjoying life :rofl:

8 Likes

) How did you see the New Year in?
Watching the Peter rabbit movie and Jools Holland with my kids.

It has made me realise more than ever to be thankful for the things that i have, and not to fret about the things i have no control over.

My resolution is to spend less time on my phone, which is already proving to be unsuccessful!

Seeing my parents and nan again, singing in church, hugging everyone at every opportunity.

The ability to speak Welsh! The pandemic has been rubbish but it would never have entered my head to learn Welsh if we had never been locked down in the first place. It has been such a sliver lining.

and a couple of bonuses…

My family
Technology so I can stay in touch
My wonderful job as a teacher
Speaking Welsh
A stack of books to read from Christmas

Q: What do you plan to do for next new year’s eve?
A: be with as many people as possible!

8 Likes

We had take away burgers from Ansh (fantastic new burger bar in Treganna, everything is in Welsh first, all staff are Welsh speaking)
Watched a couple of episodes of Bridgerton (very easy watch)
We were in bed at 10.30 (our new years day was going to start at 6:20am thanks to the soon to be 1 year old)

I reflect on this a lot. It’s helped me recognise anxiety, in myself and others. It’s helped me recognise how much i enjoy being outdoors. It’s also helped me find meditation. (I should add, all of this started before the pandemic when my wife was pregnant, but the pandemic helped me solidify a lot of this learning)
It’s helped me understand the importance of checking in on everyone. Shown just how important it is not to put off plans (my brothers still haven’t met my son, and i still haven’t met two of my cousins).

I am following a running programme to help me complete a half marathon (ive pushed back the date of the original plan to March)

I am meditating for at least 10 minutes a day straight after lunch.

I have found alcohol free beer helps me feel like i’m joining in when others have a drink.

My son - he turns one in a couple of weeks and is just brilliant. I’m really enjoying growing with him

Running

Seeing my family when we can

My son. He’s brought me so much. Helped me learn so much about myself and brings so much joy

and a couple of bonuses…

My wife
My son
Our family
I have my health
I have a secure job that I enjoy

If there is one thing you’d recommend to everyone what would it be?
Take responsibility for your reactions

8 Likes

Watching “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” and “Dinner for One” with my friend and having a small sip of Bailey’s at midnight. :clinking_glasses:

It didn’t actually change my perspective on life but it reminded me quite firmly that living in the present, enjoying the little things and taking care of oneself are more important than vague dreams of a distant future.

Keep learning Welsh and practice speaking on a regular basis. My friend’s got permission to kick me in the backside should I slack off :wink:

An exciting time with new colleagues and different tasks at work, improving my Welsh and hopefully visiting my friend in France.

A shared flat with my friend.

Being healthy myself
My family and friends are healthy
Living close to my family so I can visit them as often as I want
Sharing a flat with one of my best friends
Being able to learn Welsh outside of Wales

Did you make a wish at midnight of New Year’s Eve?
Yes, but it won’t come true if I tell you. Though it’s very possibly similar to yours :four_leaf_clover:

7 Likes

I proposed to my fiancee at the stroke of midnight, and thankfully she said yes!

It’s obviously forced us all to slow down, and in my case this has really put a magnifying glass on every aspect of my life and forced me to examine it and take a deep dive…

I’ve never really done New Year’s resolutions. I believe in the concept, but not in tying it to any particular date on the calendar. I believe we can re-invent or re-imagine any part of our lives at any time.

Deepening relationships. Continuing to work on myself. Hopefully traveling once again. Being more mindful of how I spend each day and each moment.

A new appreciation for routine and consistency. Prior to the pandemic, I had little if any routine. I’d often be landing and getting acclimated to different countries, time zones, people, etc. And while I love and miss that way of life, I’ve learned to appreciate this way of life too and will look for ways to integrate the two ends of the spectrum once the pandemic passes.

and a couple of bonuses…

1. My amazing fiancee, Krysthel, who constantly supports and inspires me to be the best version of myself.

2. That we’re able to be with my mother and be there for her, and that she does not have to spend the pandemic alone.

3. SSI and expanding my involvement beyond just the team and out into this wonderful community.

4. My core group of extremely close friends who are like brothers and sisters to me.

5. Waking up every day to the smell of coffee and a freshly brewed pot of it :slight_smile:

What would be the title of your own New Year’s story?

“From Times Square Teenager to Pandemic Marriage Proposal – 28 years of Indescribable Indescribability” :rofl:

10 Likes
  1. How did you see the New Year in?
    Asleep.
  2. In which way has living in a pandemic changed your perspective on life?
    It made me focus on what is important.
  3. If you made any New Year’s resolutions, how do you intend to keep them?
    Less comfort eating. I have put on so much weight since last March. Avoid buying biscuits and cakes.
  4. What are you looking forward to in 2021?
    Getting on the train and visiting family and favourite places again.
  5. What are you grateful to the year 2020 for giving/bringing you?
    An introduction to Zoom, Skype etc. I can talk to son and daughter, have conversations in Welsh, attend exercise classes 5 days a week, even book into Welsh courses that are impossible in person.

and a couple of bonuses…

1. Share with us five positives in your life right now?
    I am lucky to be in pretty good health for my age.
    I am lucky to be retired so that I don’t have to worry about going to work or losing my job.
    We have a village shop, owned by villagers (including me), staffed by villagers (including me) and selling sufficient basic foodstuffs that I don’t have to go elsewhere if I don’t want to. This is important for someone who doesn’t drive. Supermarkets involve a trip by bus or train.
    I can walk locally to the river, through the woods etc. (Though not just at present - too deep in mud/flood.)
    I am allowed to meet one person outside and exercise with them by walking.

2. Make up your own new year themed question and answer it…
    What did you say to yourself on New Year’s Eve 1959?
    “I shall stay awake and see 1960 in. I shall be older in 1970, 1980 etc. and it might not feel so important to me. And I wonder if I shall live to see the year 2000?”

10 Likes

How would you describe the year 2020 in three words?
Hold. On. Tight.

8 Likes

Watched the campanas on TVE, but had forgotten to buy 12 grapes.
It hasn’t, really. I’m a bit of a loner, so quite enjoy the peace and quiet that we now have.
Have never made one, so no need to keep them.
Learning more ukulele playing. Hopefully selling house in Spain.
Peace and quiet.
and a couple of bonuses…

Baking skills are improving.
Ukulele playing is improving (slowly!).
Lots less shopping.
More time for cryptic crosswords, suguru, other puzzles.
Enjoying “La Lengua de los Secretos.”
What saddens you, looking towards 2021?
The optimism regarding the effect of the coronavirus vaccines. I would advise more caution that optimism. Nature is a powerful enemy.

5 Likes

I just about made it to the chimes then fell asleep on the sofa :slight_smile:

Given me a sense of urgency, and a better focus.

To actually use my Welsh with real people. Facetimed with extended family and ONLY spoke welsh for the first time last weekend. It felt great! I needed a lie-down in a darkened room after though, my brain hurt so much :slight_smile:

Going back to Wales to see family.

Lots of walks that I wouldn’t have gone in in ‘normal’ times. A renewed love of nature.

A steady (and enjoyable) job.
A lovely family.
Music.
My passion for learning Welsh.
The vaccine programme!

What was your most-listened to album of 2020?
‘Arenig’ by Gwilym Bowen Rhys.

8 Likes

1) How did you see the New Year in? At home with my partner and mother-in-law who is in our support bubble. We watched tv, saw in the new year with Jools with an interlude to watch the light show. Spoke to my brother who lives in Norway at 11pm (which is midnight and new year his time) and then my sister in law.

It has taught me that there are no guarantees in life. That you don’t always need to spend money to be happy with things. That there are plenty of ways to occupy yourself in the house.

3) If you made any New Year’s resolutions, how do you intend to keep them? OOOh no - gave up on those years ago…I am a constant work in progress

4) What are you looking forward to in 2021? Carrying on with learning welsh and the vaccine…pray God it works and the virus doesn’t mutate too much!

5) What are you grateful to the year 2020 for giving/bringing you? The opportunity to slow down, to learn welsh, to sit in my garden and watch the birds.

and a couple of bonuses…

These are gratitudes which are also positives.
I realise how lucky I am to have a small income so I don’t have to worry about my job, keeping a roof over my head, food on the table and my home warm

I am grateful for my health

The blue sky and nature around me

Technology - having worked in IT for over 30 years I never thought I would say it…but it has allowed me to keep in touch with friends and family, keep fit with my zoom exercise, learn Welsh

I am grateful for my friends and family

What have you missed most about 2020
Family, friends, travelling and HUGS. How I miss HUGS!

5 Likes

At home with Aran and the kids, playing Stranger Things/1980s Trivial Pursuits and Tension, a party buffet, Champagne, Champagne truffles and Jules Holland.

It’s made me very aware of how utterly blessed I am, it’s helped me focus more on the small joys, I’ve become better at taking each day as it comes, I’ve become better at practising mindfulness and living in the moment.

More of the above - more peaceful meditative walks with the dog, more living in the moment, more inner peace and calm, more counting blessings.

I’m looking forward to not looking forward. For now, I’m excited about celebrating our daughter’s 12th birthday at home as a family in 10 days time and spending more time writing novel #2. Otherwise I’m happy to take ir as it comes.

Perspective.

and a couple of bonuses…

• My 88 and 85 year old parents are still safe and well.
  • My kids seem to be blossoming despite everything.
  • The amazing team of people we have working for SSiW who have kept it going during a difficult year - they are so enthusiastic, are full of positive energy, are creative, talented and work well as a team.
  • My first novel sold so well that they want me to write another one.
  • I found three matching, vintage, interior doors on Facebook Marketplace, for a bargain price. Doors which miraculously fit this small cottage’s doorways, which will replace the ugly broken, plywood composite doors we have.
4 Likes