Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 02/12/2019 5️⃣

I missed Friday, sorry!

We haven’t done an all things Welsh one for a while, so here goes…

1) You’re having a dinner party, which Welsh people are at your table?

2) What’s your most memorable experience in Welsh?

3) Tell us either about your favourite place in Wales, or a place you’d love to visit?

4) Given unlimited funds, how would you spend St David’s Day next year?

5) Make up your own Welsh related question and answer it…

You’re having a dinner party, which Welsh people are at your table?

George Thomas – Viscount Tonypandy, Dylan Thomas, Huw Edwards and Gareth Bale – all for different reasons.

What’s your most memorable experience in Welsh?

Visiting Cardiff Museum 40 years ago and finding an Impressionist gallery of paintings. I stayed there for over an hour.

Tell us either about your favourite place in Wales, or a place you’d love to visit?

There are a few secret beaches on Gower that we don’t mention to anyone.

Given unlimited funds, how would you spend St David’s Day next year?

Fly over the coast of South Wales.

Make up your own Welsh related question and answer it…

What is your favourite Welsh word or phrase? Mine is ‘yn bendant’

1 Like

Ken has established the precedent of including dead Welsh Cymry so (with copious amounts of pot pourri on the table), my guests would include Nye Bevan, Dylan Thomas and, among the living, Bryn Terfel, and SSiW’s own “Fab Four”,
Talking in Welsh (thanks to SSiW) to my mother shortly before she died. Even on her deathbed she corrected me frequently. :smile:
I am enjoying the daily mutual benefit of talking to my 6 year old granddaughter.
Here’s a recent conversation.
Tadcu (in English): “Do you want a sandwich?”
Izzy: “Ydw” (plis is silent)
Tadcu: “Cheese?”
Izzy: “Na, dim diolch”
Tadcu: “Pa fath o brechdan ti moyn, te” / (What sort of sandwich do you want, then?)
Izzy: “Caws” (cheese) :astonished::laughing:
3) Tell us either about your favourite place in Wales, or a place you’d love to visit?
Llangadog comnmon for blissful childhood memories, As a member of Cadw, I have a long list of Castles and sites to visit
Watching Izzy doing whatever the school has arranged and enjoying cawl with the family that I’d started cooking 3 days earlier. (I have a Cardi’s attitude to spending a lot :laughing:)
Q: What’s the most challenging thing you do in Welsh?
A: Discussing my many and varied ailments with my GP.
(Hope I’m explaining and understanding accurately. If not, could be serious :frowning: )

1 Like

Adam Price - because of his personal story. Very interesting man who has faced a lot of adversity in his life. His experiences of the strikes in a mining family, his personal battles etc.
Meic Stephens - because of his tireless work for the language, and to hear his experiences of the 60s in Aber and the start of language campaigning with Cymdeithas
Nigel Owens - he’s a great story-teller with some great stories to tell.
Gruffudd ap Cynan - because I’d want to hear what it was like growing up as a product of the Viking Age in the Irish Sea region. His mother’s family were Hiberno-Norse from Dublin and his father’s family were princes of Gwynedd so he had all sides of it. Plus he fought the Normans for good measure.
Megan Lloyd-George - she was the first female MP in Wales and an early campaigner for a Welsh Parliament.
Beca Brown - so I can hear the story of how she ended up in Bryste (as hinted at by her father in his interview with Beti George)

Being interviewed by Garry Owen on Radio Cymru.

My favourite place is Castell y Bere - it was a castle of Llewelyn Fawr and sits at the end of one of the most beautiful drives in Wales, winding behind Cadair Idris

Unlimited funds? I think I’d hire out a massive house for the whole week and have my whole family, and my in-laws, and my closest friends, all together. I’d make sure there was lots of singing…possibly (definitely) a pub

What stops you using your Welsh more often?
Other than history, still that mild nagging fear I get when code switching. Doesn’t last long mind.

1 Like

Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins, Iolo Morganwg, Lady Charlotte Guest (honorary Welsh), Taliesin (if he actually existed), and Geoffrey of Monmouth.

Having my first 1-to-1 chats with some fellow SSIWers.

Walking the couple of miles from the small village of Llangynog at the foot of the Berwyn range along a minor road to the remote and beautiful shrine church of St Melangell at Pennant Melangell, remains a memorable experience. When we arrived, despite being the only two ‘pilgrims’, the lady vicar conducted a short service, which she does several times a day whether in Welsh or English and irrespective of a congregation. (Just for the record, I am a non-Christian but do have spiritual views and this whole event certainly counted as a spiritual experience.)

By beginning an archaeological tour of the whole of Wales with a knowledgeable guide and lasting several weeks.

Adapting @ken’s Q: What are your favourite Welsh words?
A: dychmygu, sylweddoli, canolbwyntio. But I’ve added a new one (for me) recently: etholiad (election).

1 Like
  1. You’re having a dinner party, which Welsh people are at your table?
    ~> Russel T Davies, Roald Dahl, Gareth David-Lloyd, Michael Sheen and anyone from SSiW who would like to join in :sunny:

2. What’s your most memorable experience in Welsh?
    ~> Having my first real conversation in Welsh with @BronwenLewis and finding out that I’m able to say more in Welsh than I thought :blush:

3. Tell us either about your favourite place in Wales, or a place you’d love to visit?
    ~> I’d love to visit the Roald Dahl Plass in Cardiff, the Brecon Beacons National Park and Hay-on-Wye. I have to start somewhere, don’t I?

4. Given unlimited funds, how would you spend St David’s Day next year?
    ~> I’d make a holiday out of it and travel around in Wales.

5. Make up your own Welsh related question and answer it…
    ~> Why didn’t I ever lose interest in learning Welsh?
    ~~> Because it’s a beautiful language I feel very comfortable with.

1 Like