Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five - 02/07/2019 5️⃣

So sorry for missing Friday, we were away for a long weekend! Apologies in advance for today’s self indulgent questions - we took the kids to see the Manic Street Preachers at Cardiff Castle on Saturday night. We’d never done anything like this with them before and knew, despite them loving the music, that we were taking a gamble with our 10 and 8 year old, by taking them to a late, open air, general admission rock concert. But it was epic and we made some incredible memories. So, from rock bands to opera singers…

1) What’s the first ever gig/concert/festival you attended?

2) What’s the best/most memorable gig/concert/festival you’ve ever attended?

3) Who would you love to see live, but haven’t yet had the chance to?

4) Who was disappointing live?

5) If you could see a performance at any venue in the world, which venue would that be?

Thank you for letting me bore you, indulge myself and continue the magic of last weekend. I’m going to leave you with this video I found on YouTube, the final song of the concert - A Design For Life… of course. Beuno, our 8 year old was on my shoulders by this point, we were dancing and singing at the top of our voices, then were suddenly drowned in an explosion of ticker tape and paper streamers - so much happiness…

1 Like

It would have been one of the monthly series given by the Scottish National Orchestra while I was at school in Aberdeen under their wonderful conductor (Sir) Alexander Gibson. They played a huge range from Baroque to Romantic and even some of the pseud stuff of the early 20th century. They helped to consolidate my lifetime’s love of nusic
Easy (if we rule out ballet in which case any of Darcey Bussel’s appearances at ROH Covent Garden): - Jessye Norman and the Berlin Philharmonic under Claudio Abbado performing Mahler’s “Das Lied von der Erde” / “Song of the Earth” in Berlin
Difficult because he’d have to be dug up, but, I’d travel a long way to hear Pablo Cassals playing Bach’s Cello Suites. I have an old recording on 78s but it’s difficult to ignore the scratches
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick and Titch while I was at UEA Norwich in the 60s
5) If you could see a performance at any venue in the world, which venue would that be?
Verona Arena. I’ve visited it empty and I’d love to see a Verdi Opera there.

I’ve also enjoyed or would enjoy Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton (from the 70s till now), Bert Jansch whom I saw live at UEA, Jimmy Hendrix, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Focus and Y Diliau but they didn’t make the final cut for these questions :smile:

2 Likes
  1. The Small Faces
  2. The Rollling Stones at Amythig music hall
  3. Bryn Terfyl
  4. Gary’s karaoke at the SSIJ bar @Garys
  5. Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau at the Millenium Stadium
3 Likes
  1. Status quo at cardiff castle.
  2. Leonard Cohen at the hydro in glasgow on the eve of Barack Obama’s first election.
  3. Bruno Mars or Jack Savoretti.
  4. Can’t remember the dissappointments.
  5. Puccini in verona
2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the first concert I attended was The Sawdoctors with my dad and uncle when I was 14. If you don’t know them, they’re an Irish band who topped the charts for years and they sing very Bruce Springsteen-esque hinterland rock. Less serious version of Bryn Fôn i guess?

My first ever classical concert was last week when we went to see The Philarmonia play the Planets. Absolutely incredible!

So even though I’ve seen Bruce Springsteen and Ed Sheeran in the Millennium Stadium, Spunge playing in a really grimy live music venue called The Cooperage in Plymouth. It was a very sweaty venue. Awesome atmosphere and I definitely wasn’t drinking at 15 :lying_face:

There are loads of Welsh acts I’d like to see live; Yws Gwynedd, Candelas, Gwilym, Bryn Fôn

I’d also love to see The Zac Brown Band

But I think this question is reserved for someone I’ll never be able to see live (i know the question says yet but…) for pure entertainment: Queen

Van Morrison

I think somewhere iconic like The Brixton Academy or Shepherd’s Bush Empire (I’ve been to Shepherd’s Bush) are well up there for the history. For classical music somewhere like Carnegie Hall in New York.

But I’d love to see a concert at the Amphitheatre in Lyon or the Minac in Cornwall.

1 Like

The Small Faces at Sophia Gardens Pavilion, Cardiff, in.1965. You couldn’t hear the band for the girls screaming. It was one of the reasons Steve Marriott walked out on them a few years later - he didn’t want to be regarded as a teeny-bopper band. If only he’d stuck around a few years more.

The Who in their prime at Manchester University, 1970. Unforgettable. They’d just released their rock opera ‘Tommy’. A few people were making a lot of noise at the back of the hall, and Keith Moon shouted: “Shut up! It’s a bloody opera, innit?”

The Killers. The chance of seeing the Welsh band Calfari - discovered recently on here - has now passed as they’ve disbanded.

Van Morrison, who spent the whole concert hiding behind the rest of the band.

No thoughts.

Have enjoyed gigs by Neil Young, Show of Hands, Jethro Tull, Whitesnake, Gillan, Jackson Browne, Runrig, Fairport and Steeleye over the years.

2 Likes

Our school (Ysgol Uwchradd Tywyn) choir did a series of concerts around Schleiden in 1976 as part of an exchange. We all stayed with German families.

Most memorable - from above - we sang in the Easter Mass in Schleiden Cathedral and there wasn’t a dry eye in the building after Meinir Williams finished her solo, even us.

Best:- a Tribute band to Pink Floyd - they played the whole album Dark Side of the Moon. I’ve loved that album forever…

Elvis Presley.

No-one!!

My front room.
It’s big enough for a performer with a guitar.
Acoustic or electric.
Electricity supplied at minimal cost.
Snacks drinks available from the Virtual Bar.
Ew, I sound like a Cardi-in-training…

1 Like

1 What’s the first ever gig/concert/festival you attended?**

Adam and the Ants on their kings of the wild frontier tour 1981 at Cardiff top rank aged 16. Adam walked off cos of all the punks spitting on him. :man_shrugging:

Hmm hard to nail it in one.
Crass organised a squat gig at the Zig Zag club Xmas 1982 with around 15 other bands notably Flux of pink Indians, the Mob, Conflict and Poison girls. No entry fee and free vegan soup inside. Us against the authoritys and that night we won. No trouble for a change.
Also have to mention the Pogues at the town and country club (Kentish town) 1988ish. Not a better way to celebrate St Patricks night. The wonderful Kirsty MacColl was guesting along with Joe Strummer.

This should read will never have the chance to. Sadly I was too young to catch joy division, the Ruts and the original Dr Feelgood.
I still hold a faint Hope to see the elusive Rudimentary Peni live. :pray:

Adam and the Ants

I prefer smaller venues and would love to see the Stereophonics or manics play Narberth Queens Hall.
[/quote]

1 Like

Wow, I love this thread! :smiley:

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

:astonished::astonished::astonished:

Wow what an experience!

1) What’s the first ever gig/concert/festival you attended? Genesis, Hawkwind and Wishbone Ash at Bracknell Sports Centre

2) What’s the best/most memorable gig/concert/festival you’ve ever attended? Led Zeppelin at Wembley circa 1972. The Doors are a close second.

3) Who would you love to see live, but haven’t yet had the chance to? Pink Floyd. It won’t happen now.

4) Who was disappointing live? Rick Astley at Rewind Festival, Henley. He was having a bad day I think.

5) If you could see a performance at any venue in the world, which venue would that be? Sydney Opera House.

These answers show my age dreadfully! Still looking to discover welsh music.

2 Likes

My first ever gig was Manic Street Preachers at the Cardiff Astoria in 1994! Which thanks to the wonders of YouTube, I can link here…

This would have to be the Manic Street Preachers (notice a theme here)'s last night of their 3 night residency at The Roundhouse to celebrate 20 years of “The Holy Bible”. Having been too young to go to London Astoria for the first three nights in 1994, getting tickets for this was a must. I sang, I balled my eyes out and I did the same for the whole hour.

Nirvana - obvious reasons.

I went to see Descendents, who are a pretty life-changing punk band in some circles in London in 2011. They rarely toured as their singer was a Biology Professor, so tours and records were few and far between. I’d seen them once before in 1997 - but when the 2011 UK dates were announced I had to go.

Unfortunately as the band rolled into London, the singer Milo had lost his voice - which I think everyone would’ve been fine with the band postponing the gigs, however instead of that the band just kind of struggled on without Milo really. Milo had a pout and threw his microphone to the ground which then ended up hitting the guitarist square in the face. Milo went backstage and had a pout and the band finished the gig kind of half heartedly with some of the guys from the support bands.

Admirable of them for trying, but everyone was a bit miffed by Milo and his behaviour and most of the crowd ended up leaving early.

UK-wise, I’ve probably been to every venue I’ve wanted to go to. I sadly still haven’t been to a gig at Camden Ballroom or Underground, which both look very fun in videos.

1 Like

Donnington Monsters of Rock, 1988. Iron Maiden headlined. Helloween opened then Guns ‘n’ Roses came on and thousands surged forward and two people died in the crush. We didn’t know anything about this until getting home. My dad was worried sick because the description on the news said they had long hair, tattoos and were wearing a black biker’s jacket. There were about 50,000 people there that fitted that description. :roll_eyes:

We saw Mudvain in Manchester acadamy, really small venue and so much energy. I didn’t come down from that for days.

Or maybe Lamb of God at Download 2007, I’d been on it all day in every mosh pit possible including Devil Driver, Hell Yeah, Slayer, etc. then said I was going to just stand and appreciate LoG from the back. When they came on I lasted half way through the first song before apologising to my wife and heading back to the front. What a performance, what an atmosphere, what an awesome pit!!! :joy::rofl::joy:

Foo Fighters I guess but past their best now in my opinion. I really wish I’d seen Dio again before he died.

Guns ‘n’ Roses. He is the most conceited person I’ve ever seen, I hate that.

Tough one. Tool supported by Opeth in the Tivoli, Bwcle. That’s where my tastes are at the moment I guess.

1 Like

I’ve loved reading this thread so much, thank you all for your contributions! :slight_smile:

My first big gig was Prince, The Nude Tour at the NEC Arena, Birmingham in 1990, I was 18 years old and a friend’s dad took me and my boyfriend and my bnrother. I was wearing black hotpants, black tights and my sister had made me a purple jacket with white lace cuffs. I was blown away. I was already a big Prince fan and soon became devoted. When I’d finally left school and fled the nest I saw him again a few times during the 90s in London. He was such a talented musician and a great role model for a teenager who never felt like she fitted in.

All the Prince concerts I’ve been to. Taking my kids to the Manics last weekend - I’ll never forget it. Going to see Pink Floyd at Earl’s Court for their The Division Bell Tour in '95- their final concert tour, I had a VIP pass (thanks to a friend) but no real ticket, so talked my way in pretending to be a music journalist - it was epic. Plus seeing Jamiroquai in The Forum in Kentish Town in 96, they were just becoming global and at the top of their game - the venue was small enough for it to feel really special.

I would have love d to see Queen - I remember live aid on the TV with so much awe. I would love to see ELO live… one day

Unfortunately, Meic Stevens in Sarn Bach Pen Llyn - he was very drunk and dragged his way through a sometimes embarrassing set.

I’d love to take the kids to Green Man one year. Apart from that, opera at the Palais Garnier in Paris.

1 Like

My first big gig was Prince

Yes, I could easily have added Prince to my list. For some unexplained reason (and why should it be) I like Funk and I think of him as a great exponent. Sadly he’s another one that would need to be dug up. :cry: