Pronunciation in the Latin course

Hard “C” in the Welsh words taken from Latin as well :relaxed:

“cist” being a good example, English “chest”:

1 Like

Mind you, I do remember reading somewhere, somewhere I can’t remember or find now, that Latin in Britain was thought of as being spoken in a comparatively formal or old fashioned style. A little like English in India, if you see what I mean. Without references this means little, of course! Latin was pronounced differently in different areas over different times. The Roman Empire covered a huge area over a very long time.

1 Like

I would like to find a comparative study of the influence of Latin on Welsh vs. Latin influence on another language, say Dutch - not English, because that suffered a few consonant and vowel shifts over the centuries. Failing that, I’ll do one myself :wink:

2 Likes

I briefly listened some of the first lesson and it sounded horribly English to me… :grimacing:

I’ve never studied Latin but I’ve heard the Finnish version of the classical pronunciation and it’s different.

1 Like

You’re lucky, you have the Nuntii Latini on radio :slight_smile:

Heh, yes we do. But you can listen it on the web. I think.

1 Like

Well yes, “new” was very much written in quotation marks and spoken with an invisible tongue in cheek. However, my experience was the opposite of yours…our Latin was all taught by RC priests or brothers and so I presume they automatically used “Church Latin”. (And of course we got another dose of the same pronunciation in church until the changes in the liturgy in the 1960s). I did not come across the “weni - weedy - weechy” pronunciation until years later.

weechy

Did I say “weechy”? - I meant “weeky” :grin:
Good to hear about your mirror image experience.
The moral we can draw from this whole thread might be “Latin should be seen and not heard” :wink:

1 Like

Apologies Huw: I appear to have made that one up… :slight_smile:

:wink:

For anyone who’s interested, there’s a short (and quite amusing) video on YouTube:
What Latin Sounded Like — And How We Know

(And yes, it seems Caesar really would have said “Wayny, Weedy, Weaky”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

And yes, it seems Caesar really would have said “Wayny, Weedy, Weaky”

Never doubted it. :grin:

2 Likes