Podcast Recommendations

Hi all,

What podcasts are people listening to? Does anyone have any recommendations?
I’ve looked through ypod.cymru now and I am sure there are more out there not listed.

I regularly put on “Beti a’i Phobl” , which I would describe as the Welsh Desert Island Discs from BBC. Depending on who is on varies on how easy it is to follow. I particularly enjoyed the episode with Bronwen Lewis.

I’ve also just started listening to “Yr Haclediad” which isn’t on ypod.cymru but has been going since 2010! It’s 3 people talking about techy stuff, news, pop culture, etc.

I’d really like to find more podcasts covering topics like tech and energy, if any exist.

2 Likes

Maybe not exactly you are looking for…but possibly still useful

BBC Radio Cymru - Pigion: Highlights for Welsh Learners

There’s a great list of podcasts here: https://ypod.cymru/

I listen to “Esgusodwch fi” on BBC Sounds (which is about LGBTQ+ experiences, so not necessarily general interest?)

@brynle Thanks, it is a good suggestion generally and it would be nice if other people could get suggestions in this thread too, not just me. For myself I already listen to it occasionally if I’ve got a quick job to get done, but it isn’t my favourite because I can’t “get into it” before it moves on.

I actually mentioned that site in my original post. It is a great list, but it doesn’t have everything. There are also quite a lot of podcasts on there where a single episode, or maybe two, were released and then nothing.

1 Like

Wwps! Reading comprehension failure on my part there! :rofl:

No problem. The really funny thing is it isn’t the first time exactly that has happened, so I had a good natured laugh at it. I think it is my own fault for not bothering to make it a proper link (when I’m on my phone I just haven’t got the patience).

BTW, if you haven’t already listened you might find Podlediad Ar Y Soffa interesting, given what you do for work. I’ve only listened to the first episode but I enjoyed it.

O mam bach! I am so sorry … and thank you for being so good natured as to find it funny!

Diolch also for the podcast suggestion - I’ll give it a go. (Only really just beginning to get into the whole podcast thing…)

1 Like

I enjoy “Beti a’i Phobl” too, and agree that it very much depends on the accent and speed with which Beti’s chosen partner of the week speaks. And at almost an hour in length it is a bit of a challenge in concentration on my part! But worth it.
I tried Yr Haclediad as like you I’d really welcome a tech-related podcast in Welsh but had to give up in exasperation over the constant giggling and laughing at their own jokes - I couldn’t follow the conversation as they all kept talking at once!
Old favourites that unfortunately haven’t been updated in some time are “Hefyd” (Richard Noswörthy in conversation with various Welsh learners) and “Sgwrsio” - once again conversations with various guests, but not too fast, and with useful vocabulary explained too. They’re not about tech or energy though, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I love Hefyd and Sgwrsio! It’s a shame that they haven’t been updated in a while, but I just go back and listen to the older episodes again, because usually I’ve forgotten what was said. :joy:

I’d love to find more podcasts pitched at that level.

I like Elis James’ Dwy Iaith , Un Ymennydd

A good place to start for learners and those of us from Gogledd Dwyrain is Doctoriaid Cymraeg …you can find it on Spotify.

1 Like

i have just stumbled across Yr Hen Iaith which explores Welsh Literature

Yr Hen Iaith Podcast (ypod.cymru)