Plygain, unrhywun?

In researching music for a Welsh Christmas concert, I’ve become aware of the tradition of Plygain carols. So, two questions, one broad, one specific:

Do folks do much plygain carol singing these days in wales? A local fellow (in Portland, Oregon, that is) who grew up in Wales isn’t so fond of it, and says it’s not very popular.

I ran across some lovely samples of Plygain done by the likes of Brigyn, 9 Bach and Lleuwen on a recording called “Nevermind the Bollocks, Here’s the Plygain”. However, the only way I can find it is in iTunes or Amazon mp3s (not on Sain, or Sadwrn, for example). I’m weird - I actually like having the physical CD. Anyone have suggestions for where I can find a copy? I’m going to be in Wales in Nov, so can pick one up myself if someone knows a good shop.

For the CD, contact @therealrhysmwyn on twitter - he was involved in its production. He’s also from the area (the Montgomeryshire hills) where the Plygain tradition still clings on in its original form.

Hi Jeff - I have been on a similar journey recently myself. As a peripatetic violin/viola teacher, I want to introduce plygain into my community because, as you rightly say, it isn’t so widespread these days.

I have found sheetmusic, but no CDs (which I also love!) as of yet. I really just wanted to let you know I am a fellow researcher!

Please keep in touch so that we can help each other! I would love to hear more about your upcoming concert!

Good luck!

http://www.sainwales.com/store/sain/sain-scd-2389

http://www.sainwales.com/store/sain/sain-scd-2599

Sain have a sale on this weekend - 30% off everything!

30% I FFWRDD…CYNNIG PENWYTHNOS YN UNIG!! I Nodwch y cod 30CY912 yn y bocs cwpon arbennig. DAW’R CYNNIG I BEN 12:00 NOS SUL.BRYSIWCH!!

Use the code 30CY912

Thanks Rob! I sent Rhys Mwyn an e-mail last week (so far no response), but didn’t think to try twitter (I’m old-fashioned… which you can tell by my interest in Plygain :wink:

Siân - glad to hear there’s at least one fellow traveller on this road! I don’t always love the somewhat, umm, how to put it, earthy vocal style associated with what I’ve heard of Plygain, but I love a good close harmony. That’s also why I’m interested in the Rhys Mwyn disc, as from what I’ve heard, they do a lot of re-interpreting the style in their own fashion.

Hi Jeff - I have been on a similar journey recently myself. As a peripatetic violin/viola teacher, I want to introduce plygain into my community because, as you rightly say, it isn’t so widespread these days.

I have found sheetmusic, but no CDs (which I also love!) as of yet. I really just wanted to let you know I am a fellow researcher!

Please keep in touch so that we can help each other! I would love to hear more about your upcoming concert!

Good luck!

http://www.sainwales.com/store/sain/sain-scd-2389

http://www.sainwales.com/store/sain/sain-scd-2599

Sain have a sale on this weekend - 30% off everything!

30% I FFWRDD…CYNNIG PENWYTHNOS YN UNIG!! I Nodwch y cod 30CY912 yn y bocs cwpon arbennig. DAW’R CYNNIG I BEN 12:00 NOS SUL.BRYSIWCH!!

Use the code 30CY912

Thanks Rob! I sent Rhys Mwyn an e-mail last week (so far no response), but didn’t think to try twitter (I’m old-fashioned… which you can tell by my interest in Plygain :wink:

Siân - glad to hear there’s at least one fellow traveller on this road! I don’t always love the somewhat, umm, how to put it, earthy vocal style associated with what I’ve heard of Plygain, but I love a good close harmony. That’s also why I’m interested in the Rhys Mwyn disc, as from what I’ve heard, they do a lot of re-interpreting the style in their own fashion.

Thanks, Jeff!

I just love the purity and innocence of folk-based traditions - whether it’s Lieder, plygain, gospel… you name it. The fact that plygain is Welsh and that the harmonies are gorgeous (close, with perfect fourths and fifths aplenty!) only make it even more wonderful, as does the religious content for me.

If we manage to get a plygain group together in my village, it will certainly be ‘earthy’! :wink: Hehe! If our work results in more plygain singing in Wales, it has to be a wonderful thing!

Keep up the good work!

Funnily enough we were talking about Plygain at bootcamp this week and I asked whether there were any recordings available so am very grateful for this thread and Rob’s link.
Diolch :slight_smile:

For those interested, there is also a certain amount to be found on Spotify…

Just great to read of the interest in this almost forgotten tradition…are you aware that singing took place before dawn on the morning of Xmas day?

Well, that explains the earthy tones… :wink:

Appropriately enough then, the concert order was just decided, and we’ll be singing both “Ar Fore Dydd Nadolig” and “Ar Gyfer Heddiw’r Bore” at our Christmas concert (which, no, will not be held cyn gwawr ar fore Dydd Nadolig!)

Its an advance thought, next year’s Eisteddfod Genedlaethol is in the Plygain area, wonder if there will be a on it?

Above - ‘be aspecial feature on it’?

Stuart Stanton said: “are you aware that singing took place before dawn on the morning of Xmas day?”

The word plygain itself seems to come from something like “pulli canto”, the Latin for cock crow, referring to the early morning celebration of mass.

Jeff Lewis said “Well, that explains the earthy tones… ;-)”
Indeed! The celebrators were, apparently, often the worse for wear! In fact, “On December 22, 1812, the parish council of St Thomas’ Church in Neath, South Wales issued a statement that plygain was henceforth banned in the parish due to “the indecent behaviour of the persons attending there”.”

A part of the tradition I am all for reviving!

1 Like

Da Iawn o hynny!..looks llke Neath is the place to be dros y Nadolig.

Thanks to Jeff, robbruce and others on this thread, I have received an excellent CD of “Caneuon Plygain & Lloft-Stabal” from Sain (complete with Cardi-pleasing discount).
Dw i’m hapus iawn
Diolch Pawb