Photography in Welsh šŸ“·

Inspired by @ramblingjohnā€™s wonderfully informative and visually beautiful Whatā€™s Outside thread and by @carin-harrisā€™s fortnightly photography group on Slack, I thought Iā€™d start a photography thread here.

The idea is to share photographs, share tips, share photography vocabulary in Welsh.

For any photographs shared, could we maybe try and put the titles of the photographs in Welsh?

Looking forward very much to your contributions! :smiley: :camera: :camera_flash:

5 Likes

To get you started, hereā€™s a great website with some useful photography vocabulary in the form of flashcardsā€¦

https://quizlet.com/515595925/1019-geirfa-ffotograffiaeth-flash-cards/

1 Like

Hereā€™s some extra vocabularyā€¦

Photography - ffotograffiaeth (photo-graff-ya-eth)
Camera - camera (cam-ra)
Lens - lens
Body - corff (korf)
Shutter - caead (kay-ad)
Shutter speed - cyflymder caead (kuv-lum-derr)
Aperture - agorfa (agg-gore-va)
To take a picture - tynnu llun (tonne-knee lleen)
Exposure - datguddiad (dat-geeth-yad)
Frame - ffram (frahm)
Light - golau (gol-eye)
Shadow - cysgod (kuss-god)
Dark - tywyllwch (tow-uh-lloo-ch)
Focus - ffocws (foh-kws)
Composition - cyfansoddiad (kuv-anne-soth-yad)

5 Likes

Dw iā€™n hapus i ddechrau :slight_smile: Iā€™m happy to start!
Wisgers y llygoden mawr (The ratā€™s whiskers) Tynnais iā€™r llun heddiw. Efo luniau bywyd gwyllt maeā€™n bwysig iawn ffocys ar y llygad agosaf :slight_smile: ā€¦a piedio symud!!
I took this picture today. With pictures of wildlife its very important to focus on the closest eyeā€¦ and donā€™t move! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh I love this! What a rare capture! You must have had to keep still for a very long time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are a few recent ones from a black and white [du a gwyn - (dee ah goo-in)] collectionā€¦

Ffens - I love playing around with focus [ffocws (foh-kws)] and bokeh.

A bare tree in winter with Moel Tryfan and the quarry in the backgroundā€¦

In the shadow of Moel Tryfan, looking towards The Wyddfa covered in snow, inspired by Ansel Adamsā€¦

A boat on the side of a mountainā€¦ as you doā€¦

Looking down towards Dinas Dinlle with the Eifl in the background on the left hand side - I love how dramatic the Common Hawthorns [draenen wen (dray-nenn wenn)] are in the winter - theyā€™re like old witchesā€¦ :wink:

9 Likes

Tynnuais i y llunā€™ma yn Prague, gyda ffon symudol. Doā€™n i ddim yn gwybod, pan onā€™in mynd i thynnu fe, bod y feicwr yn dod, Lwcus iawn!

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a link to @carin-harrisā€™ photography website - http://cazharrisphotography.weebly.com/

1 Like

Right place, right time! Gwych! :smiley:

Diolch!

Where are all you Welsh learning, photography keen, forum goers?! Lets get this thread going! :wink:

We get quite spectacular sunsets up here in the foothills of Snowdonia. I especially like it when dramatic weather meets the sunsetā€¦

Machlud (mach-lid) - sunset

5 Likes

Ok, hereā€™s one.
I took this in 2013 when I was with a crew filming at Rockfield Studios in Monmouth. Thereā€™s a story that it inspired Freddie Mercury to write the line ā€œAny way the wind blowsā€ at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody. I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s a spectacular photo, but itā€™s been published in a book about Monmouth!

weather vane - ceiliog gwynt (even when itā€™s a horse!)

5 Likes

I love this Siaron and what a fabulous story! I never knew that about Bohemian Rhapsody - brilliant! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my recent eisteddfod winner on the theme of Enfys (rainbow). Taken on the Isle of Skye. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oh how beautiful! I love Skye such a magical place. :heart:

1 Like

Oedd hiā€™n bwrw glaw ger Moel Tryfan (I think right next to that boat, Catrin :upside_down_face:) ym mis Rhagfyr

Tywydd dramatig, Mynydd Graig Goch

8 Likes

Aethon ni i Dinbych y Pysgod ddoe. We went to Tenby yesterday.
Mae fy ngŵr tynnu y llun. My husband took this pic of a morfarch.

5 Likes

Waw! I didnā€™t know that there were walruses there!! :slight_smile: Fabulous to see! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one does appear to be a bit lost but seems happy enough at the moment. I think the hope is that as the water warms it will go in search of the colder water itā€™s used to.

2 Likes