Past v Imperfect tenses

Lesson 13 (for example) “He wanted …” would I think be translated, say in French, as Past Tense but it seems it is translated as Imperfect ?

If I understand your question correctly, you’re asking about the difference between nes i and o’n i.

Welsh uses nes i for distinct actions in the past, e.g. nes i gau’r drws “I closed the door” but the o’n i form for longer term past situations, e.g. o’n i’n byw yng Nghymru pan o’n i’n ifanc “I lived in Wales when I was young” OR for what are considered ‘states of being’. These are generally something that happens internally, e.g. “wanting” something is a state you’re in, rather than an action, so “I wanted to go” is o’n i’n moyn (S) mynd or o’n i isio (N) mynd

2 Likes

Thanks Deborah - that makes it much clearer. It’s the “states of being” I had not appreciated.

1 Like

What synchronicity - I have just this very day written the article that deals with this.

3 Likes

Telepathy at work? :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

I’m wondering if this Gareth King is the author of the totally brilliant “Modern Welsh” grammar book? For anyone who isn’t familiar with this (or his other wonderful books), it is totally brilliant - super clear, well-explained, gives a ton of dialect-related helpful info and is a resource no Welsh-learner should be without.
And if it’s not then, great name!!!

2 Likes

This is indeed the same Gareth King. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh my goodness, I’m having a complete super-fan moment, WOW!!!

5 Likes

Thank you. That helps a lot.

1 Like

Nêfi blŵ, I’m all of a flatter-flutter myself now! :open_mouth: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

:rofl: