Past tenses

I notice that the notes in the vocabulary do not always correspond to the lessons. For example, in Challenge 19 the notes are “wnes I wylio” and “wnest ti wylio” whereas what is said is “gwylies i” and “wyliest ti” (I don’t even know if those are spelled correctly). The same thing happened about joio in an earlier lesson - there was something like “joioes i” and “joioest ti” spoken (again, unsure of spelling) whereas the vocab notes have “wnes i joio” and “wnest ti joio”. I appreciate that the same thing can be said in different ways but it would be extremely helpful if the notes corresponded to the lessons!

1 Like

Thanks for catching that, Kevin - just a glitch in the transfer over to the southern version - I’ll get them fixed now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. Many thanks.

1 Like

I notice an interesting post on the Dwi’n dysgu Cymraeg FB page on short/long forms this, and thanks to SSIWers for their input. It seems that short forms are possibly more widely used in Southern parts.

Anyway, my question is basic, but something that I must have missed/rushed past in the challenges:
What is the most widely used past equivalent for “mae 'da fi/gen i…” I’m thinking of something like “I had a dog” without sounding as if I’d eaten it.

1 Like

For past tense of those, you’d hear roedd or oedd (depending on individual’s preference). So roedd ci 'da fi or roedd gen i gi.

4 Likes

Mae gen i = present, I have
Roedd gen i = past tense, I had
In the Southern course, the word Iestyn uses instead of " roedd" ( it was) sounds like " odd", I don’t know how to spell it, but if you’re doing the Southern Lessons you’ll know the word.

3 Likes

Ah that’s, great thanks - oedd. Nice and straight forward :slight_smile: That was the bit that I was mixing up with “aeth/ath” back then, so I subconsciously moved on without it sinking in :frowning:
Yes, now I remember, that “odd” would just be “oedd” with a Glamorgan/Gwent accent. Like the sound of “cymo(e)dd” for “valleys”.

3 Likes

o’dd is how I spell it - recognising, as John indicates, the southern shortened diphthong from oe to o. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So is this the relationship?
On i - Odd hi Was
nes I - nath hi Did
Es I - ath hi Went

(phonetically)

1 Like

Looks like a pretty good overview to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes