Para mi v Pienso

Hola
Whilst using SSIS i have been given "pienso’ to mean i think. On another app i have been using its recommended "para mi " to mean i think at the start of a sentence or ‘for me’ when used at the end of a sentence. Im wondering how interchangeable these are if only at the beginning of a sentence.
Gracias

Pienso is the more general way of saying “I think”, while para mi can be used to lead into giving your opinion, especially in contradiction to someone else, or just offering a different opinion. It’s a bit like saying “As for me, I would rather go to a movie than stay home” or where you’re in a discussion about something “As for me, I’m happy to go ahead with the project”. People use it when in a group and ordering food or drinks too - “Para mí, una cerveza”

2 Likes

Gracias
Para mi was explained as " i think “at the start of a sentence and " for me” at the end of a sentence.
Para mi el hotel es bueno.
La pizza es buena para mi.

1 Like

“Para mi el hotel es bueno” could be translated as “I think the hotel is good”, but it’s closer to “As for me” or “In my opinion” or “as far as I’m concerned” or “in my case” the hotel is good. You could even loosely translate it as “the hotel suits me” :slight_smile:
Just see what fits best in context.

1 Like