PA brechdanau sut da chi

I think I heard something like 'pa brechdanau sut da chi" in a siop yesterday. I’m guessing it’s safe to assume he was asking “what sandwiches do you have” but I’d just like confirmation because literally I understand it quite differently.

yup, sounds like you’re assuming correctly :grinning:
Just out of interest, what led to the doubt? how did you understand it?

Thanks Siaron

It was just the ‘Sut da chi’ that threw me. I’ve only heard that as 'how are you" previously.

It’s possible that what you heard was 'sydd ‘da chi’, the 'da being a contraction for gyda - the southern word used for possession.

5 Likes

yes, what Karla said - sydd is often shortened to sy, so when followed by 'da it can sound almost the same as sut because the t on sut kind of gets swallowed by the d on da! (try it - sut da chi / sy 'da chi :slight_smile:)

5 Likes

Yup, what Karla and Siaron said… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup, what Karla and Siaron and Aran said… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, what… oh, hang on, this is cheating, isn’t it?

3 Likes

…what they all said!..

3 Likes

What Nicky said …

(Could this become the longest thread in SSi history?)

5 Likes

Pa atebion sydd dach chi?

1 Like

Haha

Thanks everyone. I’m over in the hills above Harlech camping. I’ve found only a minority of shops here are Welsh speaking. Maybe I’ll have more luck at the ice cream shop yfory.

1 Like

If you spot a couple of old dears skinny dipping tomorrow, please go the other way!

@Nadip you seem to have a good pitch for your tent, what with skinny dippers of all vintages lurking and providing tantalising glimpses. I read it at first as being over the moon, or are you suggesting you are “over the hill”, in some sense “past caring”?

Haha. I’m 38 so I guess i’m my last two years of caring … and I do have binoculars with me!

4 Likes

You missed us (I hope!)

2 Likes

All I can say is lovely pics from both of you.

2 Likes