Oystermouth Castle Welsh Day 24/8/14

August dates preferable for me

You can count me in too! I am off work in the last week of July and I have no idea what I am working for the August date, so probably the July date suits me better! I will probably tag along with Owain and the other SSiWer he mentioned!

Sounds great - either date suits me!

I was talking to a fluent Welsh speaker tonight (who is very supporting of learners and is very interested in history) who said he would definitely come along as well. Just letting you know!

I would love to come along with my daughter who is studying Welsh in uni - a fabulous idea and in an amazing location !

I’d try and come with my husband if the Welsh is not too challenging! Either date is free at the moment. Thanks for trying to set this up.

Bit of a date change. We’re now doing this as part of a big August Bank Holiday bash.

It’ll be on the Sunday. Timetable/postery stuff to follow.

Just want to check this event is still on?

Yep. Sunday of the August bank holiday weekend. 24th August.

Tours timetabled for 13:00 and 15:00

Other activities to be timetabled. I’ll pop a post here once organised.

Ah alas I am working on that Sunday😞 well C’est la vie!

Poster with timetable

12.00 Sesiwn Crefft Creu arfwisg
Craft Session Chain Mail

13.00 Taith Tywys Cymraeg syml gyda geirfa
Guided Tour Simple Welsh with vocabulary

14.00 Sesiwn Crefft Gwehyddu Tabledi
Craft Session Tablet weaving

15.00 Taith Tywys Cymraeg syml gyda geirfa
Guided Tour Simple Welsh with vocabulary

There’ll also be games, taster sessions etc in the ‘pavillion’ tent.

Normal castle entry applies - that’s £2.50 or £2.50 for concessions (students/seniors/CADW)

Will there be English-speaking events going on too, and do you know how child-friendly it will all be? I am wondering if it would be a good idea to come with my kids (7 and 4, welsh speaking) and my brother’s family (6 and 3, non-welsh speaking). What would be your feeling?

There’s not a lot of info on the website about exactly what’s going on - this is all I can find. http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=44421

There’s childrens crafts in the same tent as the Welsh activities but I don’t think there’s other led activities in english that day. (The Saturday is the kids themed day really) Though saying that the DIY chainmail-with-pipecleaners went down well with the kids at the Eisteddfod!

The events listed above will be Welsh but since its me that’ll include lots of pointing!

Depends whether they’re the kind of kids who like running and jumping round castles really or if they need more entertaining. You probably know better than me to be honest.

Thanks v much, will have to see what the other (non-welsh) grown-ups think too, but we might be able to make it!

I’ll be there fit the guided tour, hopefully get a good opertunity to practise my Welsh :slight_smile:

Looking forward to this tomorrow! Do you still need the SSiW popup Leia?

Yes please, Dee.

English language tours will be setting off 15 mins prior to each of the Welsh tours for any non Welsh speaker partners/friends! Kids crafts stand used up ALL their resources in one day today but there’ll still be face painting and other kids activities.

Tea, coffee, snacks and sweets will also be available.

Just got back from a lovely time in Mumbles.

Myself and Trisha got there a bit later than we intended (I blame the beer festival…), and got there towards the end of the guided tour Leia was giving. Despite that, it was very interesting! I always learn something new about the castle from Leia’s tours!
( Well, twice. That’s always as I’ve been on two of her Welsh tours!)
After the tour, it was also interesting to see how chain mail is made, with some hands-on experience! (I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I’ll be giving up my day job just yet.)
And lovely to meet Dee again, as always!
So thanks to Leia for organising and running this event, I’m just disappointed We couldn’t have made it for a longer time.

Couple of pics.

Was a good day. Bit light on numbers perhaps - summer hols means the likelihood of catching people on in-person courses is low and Tŷ Tawe being redecorated both contributed a bit!

Will be doing the tours and maybe the crafts again in September for the Open House weekend. 13th September.